-   -   Some KDE apps depend on kdebase-runtime, which is transitional (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/650585-some-kde-apps-depend-kdebase-runtime-transitional.html)

Max Hyre 03-30-2012 12:54 AM

Some KDE apps depend on kdebase-runtime, which is transitional

Dear Debian:

I tried to remove the transitional package kdebase-runtime, and
got a shock when it proposed removing a number of packages, some
important [1].

I checked the bugs for a few of them, and no report has been
filed. I should do so, but really don't look forward to doing the
same report thirteen times. Can I just file them against the kde
package, or is there some straightforward way to file one report
against multiple packages, or do I just plan to spend some quality
time with cut & paste?

--
Best wishes,

Max Hyre

[1] This may not be complete: it's just those in my
/var/lib/dpkg/available file, which does not contain all packages.

Package: knotes
Package: polkit-kde-1
Package: libsmokekdeui4-3
Package: kaddressbook
Package: kmail
Package: korganizer
Package: akregator
Package: libsmokekdecore4-3
Package: hplip-gui
Package: kdepim-runtime
Package: kdebase-workspace-bin
Package: k3b
Package: hannah-foo2zjs

Archive: 4F750456.3040105@hyre.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F750456.3040105@hyre.net

Camaleón 03-30-2012 02:26 PM

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:54:46 -0400, Max Hyre wrote:

> I tried to remove the transitional package kdebase-runtime,

Can you post/upload the exact command you used (how did you manage to
remove tha package), what was the output you got and what's in your
"sources.list"?

> and got a shock when it proposed removing a number of packages, some
> important [1].
>
> I checked the bugs for a few of them, and no report has been
> filed. I should do so, but really don't look forward to doing the same
> report thirteen times. Can I just file them against the kde package, or
> is there some straightforward way to file one report against multiple
> packages, or do I just plan to spend some quality time with cut & paste?

In the event there's something wrong, filling a bug report won't harm: if
you are between a packaging transition (update) the bug will be discarded
and you'll only lose a bit of time :-). I would open agaisnt the
transitional package "kdebase-runtime".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Martin Steigerwald 03-30-2012 02:46 PM

Some KDE apps depend on kdebase-runtime, which is transitional

Hi Max!

I added debian-kde to Cc as there are members of the Debian Qt/KDE packing
team subcribed to, while I am not sure whether any of them are subscribed
to debian-user.

Am Freitag, 30. März 2012 schrieb Max Hyre:
> Dear Debian:
>
> I tried to remove the transitional package kdebase-runtime, and
> got a shock when it proposed removing a number of packages, some
> important [1].
>
> I checked the bugs for a few of them, and no report has been
> filed. I should do so, but really don't look forward to doing the
> same report thirteen times. Can I just file them against the kde
> package, or is there some straightforward way to file one report
> against multiple packages, or do I just plan to spend some quality
> time with cut & paste?

I suggest you get in contact with the Debian Qt/KDE team on IRC or their
mailing list. Or on debian-kde mailinglist that I added to Cc.

KDE 4.7.4 SC just transitioned to Wheezy. And AFAIK only in KDE 4.7.4 SC
kde-runtime replaced kdebase-runtime. It might just be that the Qt/KDE
team is aware of the situation and it will take some more time to fix all
those packages.

I have seen scripted mass bug reporting in the past as well.

Anyway, I would first just ask whether the team is aware of the situation
and needs a bug report at all.

In the meanwhile just don´t remove that package ;).

Thanks,

Martin Steigerwald 03-30-2012 02:46 PM

Max Hyre 03-30-2012 09:47 PM

Some KDE apps depend on kdebase-runtime, which is transitional

I suggest you get in contact with the Debian Qt/KDE team on IRC or their
mailing list. Or on debian-kde mailinglist that I added to Cc.

OK, I'll ask there.

KDE 4.7.4 SC just transitioned to Wheezy. [....] It might just be

> that the Qt/KDE team is aware of the situation
> and it will take some more time to fix all

those packages.

For some reason, it didn't occur to me that this might be a
transitory state. I am following unstable, after all.

In the meanwhile just don´t remove that package ;).

Yeah, that's what I figured. :-)

--
Best wishes,

Max Hyre

Archive: 4F762A07.3080903@hyre.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F762A07.3080903@hyre.net

Max Hyre 03-30-2012 10:00 PM

Some KDE apps depend on kdebase-runtime, which is transitional