Old 03-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Umarzuki Mochlis

Default set nameserver on boot in /etc/network/interfaces

hi,

i could not find documentation about which package to enable setting
nameserver ip (dns client) upon boot from /etc/network/interfaces

can anyone point me to the right direction?

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:32:53 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> i could not find documentation about which package to enable setting
> nameserver ip (dns client) upon boot from /etc/network/interfaces
>
> can anyone point me to the right direction?

What's what you understand for "nameserver ip (dns client)"? A DNS server?

5.5.5. The network interface with the static IP
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_network_interface_with_the_stati c_ip

***
dns-nameservers ip.of.domain.server
***

Note that you will need the "resolvconf" package. Otherwise you can use
"/etc/resolv.conf" file and put it there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Clive Standbridge

> hi,
>
> i could not find documentation about which package to enable setting
> nameserver ip (dns client) upon boot from /etc/network/interfaces
>
> can anyone point me to the right direction?

The package is resolvconf and the parameters in
/etc/network/interfaces are dns-nameservers, dns-domain, dns-search
etc. i.e. resolv.conf parameter names prefixed with "dns-".

I hope this helps.

--
Cheers,
Clive

Old 03-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Umarzuki Mochlis

Pada 29 Mac 2012 10:49 PTG, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> menulis:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:32:53 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
>
>> i could not find documentation about which package to enable setting
>> nameserver ip (dns client) upon boot from /etc/network/interfaces
>>
>> can anyone point me to the right direction?
>
> What's what you understand for "nameserver ip (dns client)"? A DNS server?
>
> 5.5.5. The network interface with the static IP
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_network_interface_with_the_stati c_ip
>
> ***
> dns-nameservers ip.of.domain.server
> ***
>
> Note that you will need the "resolvconf" package. Otherwise you can use
> "/etc/resolv.conf" file and put it there.

thanks, this is what i was trying to find

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 PM
wlan

Hi,
nameservers could be into /etc/resolv.conf, if you have dhcp-server into local you could dns-servers from this server.*

Regards.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAHW9mbx=n2Cu-PBN_=6i7ZCtZdaTQfKDbUvW=v9UUu=KVkeq9w@mail.gmail.c om

Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Jeff Ewing

> i could not find documentation about which package to enable setting
> nameserver ip (dns client) upon boot from /etc/network/interfaces
>
> can anyone point me to the right direction?

I set a local nameserver in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf (provided by the dhcp3-client package):

$ grep prepend /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

$ dpkg -S /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
dhcp3-client: /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf