Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Default Dual-boot with kFreeBSD and Linux cannot find Linux kernel

Am Donnerstag, 29. März 2012 schrieb David Banks:
> On 29/03/12 12:57, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >> However, when I boot this I get this error three times:
> >> error: file not found.
> >
> > What is before the file not found? Does it give a hint as to which
> > file it did not found? Or what it was trying to do before printing
> > the error message? I suggest you to lookup whether GRUB 2 can run
> > with more verbosity if not.
>
> Nothing -- 'error: file not found' is the first message.
>
> My Grub does not know about 'find', so I'll assume that 'search --file'
> works the same for the following commands.

Ah, so grub2 has a different command

> > In GRUB console what does
> >
> > find /boot
>
> grub> search --file /boot
> error: no such device: /boot.

Well its not a file, maybe searching for directories does not work.

> > find /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64
>
> grub> search --file /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64
> hd1,msdos1
>
> > find /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64
>
> grub> search --file /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64
> hd1,msdos1

Seems quite fine.

> > find /etc/debian_version
>
> grub> search --file /etc/debian_version
> hd0,msdos1 hd1,msdos1

hd0 is your kFreeBSD, hd1 the Linux, seems fine as well.

> > find /boot/grub/core.img
>
> grub> search --file /boot/grub/core.img
> hd1,msdos1

Thats strange. I thought GRUB was installed on the kFreeBSD hd0.

> > find /boot/grub/ext2.mod
>
> grub> search --file /boot/grub/ext2.mod
> hd1,msdos1
>
> These last two are very confusing because the output should include
> hd0,msdos1 -- the kFreeBSD partition -- I presume. No difference if I
> run 'insmod ufs2' beforehand.

Hmmm, exactly.

> > On GRUB console does
> >
> > insmod ext2.mod
> >
> > work?
>
> This command gives an error, but "insmod ext2" is working.

Hmmm, okay. I missed the detail that it needs it without the extension.

> I was confused by the output above so I tried to boot kFreeBSD from the
> GRUB console in the same way. It appears that GRUB cannot see any of
> the files in the kFreeBSD partition when testing from the console. But
> when I use the menuentry, KFreeBSD boots fine. I typed in the exact
> commands from the kFreeBSD menuentry into the console:
>
> grub> insmod part_msdos
> grub> insmod ufs2
> grub> set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
> grub> search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 4f71fd5b806762cc
> error: file not found. (repeat ~25 times)
> error: no such device: 4f71fd5b806762cc.
> grub> kfreebsd /boot/kfreebsd-8.2-1-amd64.gz
> error: file not found.

Strange.

Could it be, that currently the GRUB from the Linux side is used?

But even then, if it has a ufs module it should see the files from the UFS
partition as well.

If you have a GRML or other live cd available, I suggest you to install
the grub from the kFreeBSD side again and move /boot/grub from the Linux
side to /boot/grub-disabled in order to make sure, that GRUB 2 doesn´t get
confused about two GRUB configuration.

But thats just a rough bet.

Otherwise for now I am out of ideas as well.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:35 PM
David Banks

On 29/03/12 14:38, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>> grub> search --file /boot/grub/core.img
>> hd1,msdos1
>
> Thats strange. I thought GRUB was installed on the kFreeBSD hd0.

Yeah, I confirmed that these files are definitely present on the
kFreeBSD partition, so I have no idea why GRUB can't see them.

> Could it be, that currently the GRUB from the Linux side is used?

I wiped the MBR from the other HDD. If I physically disconnect the
drive with kFreeBSD on it, the machine does not boot at all.

> If you have a GRML or other live cd available, I suggest you to install
> the grub from the kFreeBSD side again and move /boot/grub from the Linux
> side to /boot/grub-disabled in order to make sure, that GRUB 2 doesn´t get
> confused about two GRUB configuration.

This is a cool idea, I tried it out (really thought this one would fix
it, as it makes perfect sense) but the behaviour remained the same.

Thanks for the help Martin. I might try using the Linux disk as the
master later on this week and see if I can get anywhere with that.

Cheers,
David

Old 03-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Andrei POPESCU
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jo, 29 mar 12, 11:56:51, David Banks wrote:
>
> [snip no obvious problem]
>
> Sorry, I'm out of ideas. I would suggest, if you don't get any more
> suggestions in a few days (say over the weekend) you contact the
> kFreeBSD port maintainers (debian-bsd?) or file a bug against grub.

Another: is ext2 listed by "lsmod" at the grub command line?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Andrei POPESCU
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jo, 29 mar 12, 11:56:51, David Banks wrote:
>
> [snip no obvious problem]
>
> Sorry, I'm out of ideas. I would suggest, if you don't get any more
> suggestions in a few days (say over the weekend) you contact the
> kFreeBSD port maintainers (debian-bsd?) or file a bug against grub.

Can you boot with
insmod ext2
linux (hd1,msdos1)/boot/vmlinuz... ...
initrd (hd1,msdos1)/boot/initrd...
boot
at the grub command line?

(I'm assuming that the Linux sysroot, "/", is on sdb1 based on 40_custom).

Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:24:30 +0100, David wrote in message
<jl1683$d5e$1@dough.gmane.org>:

> Hey all,
>
> I am trying to set up a dual-boot machine with Debian kFreeBSD (sid)
> and Debian Linux (squeeze). The machine has two hard disks, the
> first disk has kFreeBSD on it and I want to use this disk to boot
> both OSs. Squeeze is on the second disk. The kFreeBSD partition is
> UFS and the Squeeze partition is ext3.
>
> I have successfully installed both distros and wiped grub from the MBR
> of the second disk using dd.

..2 words; Big Mistake.

..you wanna put grub on _both_ disks, that way your worst scenario
becomes the grub command line, rather than some hung idiot hang.

> Other things I tried:

..you did try start at "root [tab]"? Should tell you what grub sees.

> I also tried going to the Grub command line and playing around a bit.
> This was interesting, because I was able to run "set
> root=(hd1,msdos1)" and then I could use the 'ls' command to show the
> contents of the second hard disk. So it seems that this line should
> not be the problem. I could even list and tab complete the name of
> the kernel file, exactly as it is in the menu entry, but then if I
> tried to boot the kernel I would get the same 'error: file not found'

..yes, grub, linux, FreeBSD and the bioses sees things _differently_.

> message, even though I had not changed the name of the kernel file at
> all.

..no need to. ;o)

> Cheers,
> David

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 29 mar 12, 15:38:04, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Could it be, that currently the GRUB from the Linux side is used?

Or maybe that grub in the MBR is trying to use the modules from the
Linux side? That might explain the errors (version mismatch, since the
Linux side is squeeze not sid).

Could you try like this:
- remove the second hdd (Linux)
- re-install grub in the first hdd (kFreeBSD)
- connect the second hardware and make sure kFreeBSD still boots
- try to boot Linux manually

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 03-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 29 mar 12, 09:24:30, David Banks wrote:

> I have successfully installed both distros and wiped grub from the MBR
> of the second disk using dd. kFreeBSD boots fine, however I have had
> trouble getting a working Grub menu entry for Squeeze. I am using Grub
> 1.99-18.

Possible workaround:
- re-install grub on the second hdd
- chainload one grub from the other (I prefer to use the stable grub as
"base")

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 04-02-2012, 11:48 AM
David Banks

On 29/03/12 17:23, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Andrei POPESCU
> <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jo, 29 mar 12, 11:56:51, David Banks wrote:
>>
>> [snip no obvious problem]
>>
>> Sorry, I'm out of ideas. I would suggest, if you don't get any more
>> suggestions in a few days (say over the weekend) you contact the
>> kFreeBSD port maintainers (debian-bsd?) or file a bug against grub.
>
> Another: is ext2 listed by "lsmod" at the grub command line?

It seems to not be listed, but I'm not sure because the top of the
scrollback seems to have been cut off, and it doesn't seem possible to
scroll up at the GRUB console. However I can see many modules listed,
including the following lines (just a few relevant ones listed, not in
this order):

gzio 0
boot 2
part_msdos 3
ufs2 3

Not sure how relevant this is. I think ext2 should be shown. But
'insmod ext2' does not produce any error.

Cheers,
David

Old 04-02-2012, 11:49 AM
David Banks

On 29/03/12 17:33, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Andrei POPESCU
> <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jo, 29 mar 12, 11:56:51, David Banks wrote:
>>
>> [snip no obvious problem]
>>
>> Sorry, I'm out of ideas. I would suggest, if you don't get any more
>> suggestions in a few days (say over the weekend) you contact the
>> kFreeBSD port maintainers (debian-bsd?) or file a bug against grub.
>
> Can you boot with
> insmod ext2
> linux (hd1,msdos1)/boot/vmlinuz... ...
> initrd (hd1,msdos1)/boot/initrd...
> boot
> at the grub command line?

This gives a 'file not found' message at the 'linux', 'initrd' and
'boot' lines. The Linux root is indeed /dev/sdb1.

Cheers,
David

Old 04-02-2012, 11:54 AM
David Banks

On 29/03/12 21:41, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>> I have successfully installed both distros and wiped grub from the MBR
>> of the second disk using dd.
>
> ..2 words; Big Mistake.
>
> ..you wanna put grub on _both_ disks, that way your worst scenario
> becomes the grub command line, rather than some hung idiot hang.

Agreed, the reason I did this was that for some reason the grub on the
secondary disk was taking priority over the first disk. I have no idea
why this was happening. I thought there ought to be some setting in the
BIOS to change which disk was used to boot, but my BIOS only had one
option 'Hard Disk' in the boot order configuration; there was no way to
specify which hard disk was used to boot.

Cheers,
David