Old 03-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Sharon Kimble

Default Upgrade to wheezy possible?

Is it possible to upgrade to wheezy from squeeze with only 670.9mb
available in my /usr partition please? Or do I need to repartition and
reinstall squeeze and then upgrade to wheezy?

Thanks
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian 6,0.4, Gnome 1:2.30+7, LibreOffice 3.5.0

Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Mi, 28 mar 12, 22:49:00, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> Is it possible to upgrade to wheezy from squeeze with only 670.9mb
> available in my /usr partition please?

There's not enough info to tell. For a (very) slim system it would be
more than enough[1], but depending on what applications you have (and
want to keep) installed it might not be sufficient.

[1] I have a system with LXDE, XBMC and a few other things occupying
only 1.3 GB in total.

During the upgrade a significant amount of space is required under /var
(specifically /var/cache/apt/ ), but if /var is also small there are
several options available.

What can cause problems in your situation is the size increase of the
applications from one version to another. One approach would be to use
dpigs (package debian-goodies) and then check the difference in
Installed-Size of the bigger packages. A possible solution would be to
consider slimmer alternatives for some of them.

> Or do I need to repartition and reinstall squeeze and then upgrade to
> wheezy?

It's also possible to install wheezy directly, without going through
squeeze.

Hope this helps,
Andrei

Old 03-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Sharon Kimble

On 28 March 2012 23:29, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mi, 28 mar 12, 22:49:00, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> Is it possible to upgrade to wheezy from squeeze with only 670.9mb
>> available in my /usr partition please?
>
> There's not enough info to tell. For a (very) slim system it would be
> more than enough[1], but depending on what applications you have (and
> want to keep) installed it might not be sufficient.

I use Gnome and some portions of KDE [kmail, knode, etc], kmymoney,
and libreoffice [from source].

> [1] I have a system with LXDE, XBMC and a few other things occupying
> only 1.3 GB in total.
>
> During the upgrade a significant amount of space is required under /var
> (specifically /var/cache/apt/ ), but if /var is also small there are
> several options available.

/var is 3.6gb free and is a separate partition.

> What can cause problems in your situation is the size increase of the
> applications from one version to another. One approach would be to use
> dpigs (package debian-goodies) and then check the difference in
> Installed-Size of the bigger packages. A possible solution would be to
> consider slimmer alternatives for some of them.

dpigs? So I install 'dpigs' under squeeze and then see what the size
is under wheezy? Is that right?

>> Or do I need to repartition and reinstall squeeze and then upgrade to
>> wheezy?
>
> It's also possible to install wheezy directly, without going through
> squeeze.

I've got squeeze operating now, so a direct install of wheezy isn't possible.

> Hope this helps,
> Andrei

Thanks Andrei, food for thought there.

Sharon.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:27 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 29 mar 12, 00:02:56, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> I use Gnome and some portions of KDE [kmail, knode, etc], kmymoney,
> and libreoffice [from source].

You might get away, but OTOH filling a partition too much increases
fragmentation a lot. Could you please post the output of 'df -hT'?

> /var is 3.6gb free and is a separate partition.

That should be enough.

> > What can cause problems in your situation is the size increase of the
> > applications from one version to another. One approach would be to use
> > dpigs (package debian-goodies) and then check the difference in
> > Installed-Size of the bigger packages. A possible solution would be to
> > consider slimmer alternatives for some of them.
>
> dpigs? So I install 'dpigs' under squeeze and then see what the size
> is under wheezy? Is that right?

Not quite. dpigs can tell you the largest installed packages. Then you
need to check by some other means the increase in size.

Now that I think of, apt-get/aptitude --simulate will inform you about
the *total* increase in size. You can assume that most of it will go to
/usr.

> >> Or do I need to repartition and reinstall squeeze and then upgrade to
> >> wheezy?
> >
> > It's also possible to install wheezy directly, without going through
> > squeeze.
> >
> I've got squeeze operating now, so a direct install of wheezy isn't possible.

Above you said "reinstall", which is why I suggested the more direct
way.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Mittwoch, 28. März 2012 schrieb Sharon Kimble:
> Is it possible to upgrade to wheezy from squeeze with only 670.9mb
> available in my /usr partition please? Or do I need to repartition and
> reinstall squeeze and then upgrade to wheezy?

Should be.

Depends on the amount of packages you upgrade at one time.

apt-get / aptitude estimate the space needed, not all of it would go to
/usr tough, but a lot will.

In case you have many or really big packages it might be needed to split
the upgrade further into pieces than the usual

- apt-get install apt dpkg aptitude
- apt-get upgrade
- apt-get dist-upgrade

Besides that I recommend you read the release notes, cause AFAIR it
contains exhaustive information on how to upgrade on space constraints.

The Debian releasenotes are really, really good and it does not make much
sense to duplicate information from there here.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Mittwoch, 28. März 2012 schrieb Sharon Kimble:
> Is it possible to upgrade to wheezy from squeeze with only 670.9mb
> available in my /usr partition please? Or do I need to repartition and
> reinstall squeeze and then upgrade to wheezy?

See here:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-
upgrading.en.html#sufficient-space

(or alternatively the amd64 variante of it)

Old 03-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Sharon Kimble

I ended up reinstalling debian 6 in one big partition as /usr had just
7.5mbs left and it was totally unusable. And when I rebooted I couldnt
gain access to it at all, so I was forced to do a reinstall.

I've tried installing wheezy by upgrading from squeeze and have fallen
foul of this bug ......
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=645713 ......... so
I'll have to wait until that bug is sorted out.

Thanks to you all for your ideas

Sharon.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:02 AM
Bob Proulx

Sharon Kimble wrote:
> Is it possible to upgrade to wheezy from squeeze with only 670.9mb
> available in my /usr partition please? Or do I need to repartition and
> reinstall squeeze and then upgrade to wheezy?

If I were in that mode I would consider removing everything that
wasn't absolutely required from the system. Then after the system is
made small do the upgrade. Once trimmed down to a very small system
it should be possible to upgrade. Then after upgrading install the
packages that are desired. In particular I would remove any X
graphical desktop environments since those tend to be very large.

Bob

Old 03-31-2012, 07:29 AM
Sharon Kimble

I tried online to update to wheezy but was foiled by [a] my /usr
getting down to 7.5mbs and causing seg faults, and [b] falling foul of
a known bug thats in the bug tracking system (I forget which one atm),
so was unable to install wheezy. But as my system was part squeeze and
part wheezy it was unbootable, so I reloaded squeeze.

I'm now downloadng the weekly build of wheezy and will have a go at
installing that. I did download the net installer but didnt feel
confident at installing that so opted for the weekly build. We'll see
how it goes from there.

Thanks to all
Sharon.