-   -   update-alternatives vs. dpkg-divert (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/649922-update-alternatives-vs-dpkg-divert.html)

Andrei POPESCU 03-28-2012 03:35 PM

update-alternatives vs. dpkg-divert

On Mi, 28 mar 12, 11:08:13, Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Andrei POPESCU
> <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Ma, 27 mar 12, 16:45:39, Tom H wrote:

> >> Why can't you do the same with grub2?
> >
> > Not implemented. I remember some discussion about it (probably in
> > upstream BTS, for Debian I can only find #601940), but apparently
> > nothing came out of it.
>
> Do you mean this?

No, I was talking about

> (I don't know enough about u-a to understand why
> "--force" is needed...)

It's because you're using the wrong tool for this job ;)

Alternatives are used when more files can provide the same functionality
(e.g you can choose if the symlink /usr/bin/editor points to
/usr/bin/nano or /usr/bin/vim). The output of 'ls -l /etc/alternatives'
might be interesting for you.

By "locally diverting" Sven meant using dpkg-divert(8) which is the
correct tool for what he ended up doing.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Brian 03-28-2012 05:29 PM

On Wed 28 Mar 2012 at 18:35:49 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> By "locally diverting" Sven meant using dpkg-divert(8) which is the
> correct tool for what he ended up doing.

I have a machine for which I want to manually manage grub.cfg and I
agree totally with you (and Sven, of course). It's a brilliant way of
doing it. Here is another Debian maintainer's view:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2011-03/msg00111.html

Tom H 03-29-2012 04:20 PM

update-alternatives vs. dpkg-divert

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Andrei POPESCU
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mi, 28 mar 12, 11:08:13, Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Andrei POPESCU
>> <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Not implemented. I remember some discussion about it (probably in
>> > upstream BTS, for Debian I can only find #601940), but apparently
>> > nothing came out of it.
>>
>> Do you mean this?
>
> No, I was talking about

OK, thanks. The other link didn't make sense.

>> (I don't know enough about u-a to understand why
>> "--force" is needed...)
>
> It's because you're using the wrong tool for this job ;)

LOL

> Alternatives are used when more files can provide the same functionality
> (e.g you can choose if the symlink /usr/bin/editor points to
> /usr/bin/nano or /usr/bin/vim). The output of 'ls -l /etc/alternatives'
> might be interesting for you.
>
> By "locally diverting" Sven meant using dpkg-divert(8) which is the
> correct tool for what he ended up doing.

OK, thanks.