Old 03-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Andrei POPESCU

Default 2nd try: reboot hangs

On Mi, 28 mar 12, 09:26:55, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Haven't heard a peep on this one. Anybody at least have a
> suggestion re. other places to ask this question (perhaps a
> kernel-related list?)

You missed http://lists.debian.org/4F72711D.8080206@gmail.com but I
would wait a few days anyway.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 03-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Miles Fidelman

Andrei POPESCU wrote:

On Mi, 28 mar 12, 09:26:55, Miles Fidelman wrote:

Haven't heard a peep on this one. Anybody at least have a
suggestion re. other places to ask this question (perhaps a
kernel-related list?)

You missed http://lists.debian.org/4F72711D.8080206@gmail.com but I
would wait a few days anyway.

ooops... did, sorry...

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Archive: 4F7318ED.6070209@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F7318ED.6070209@meetinghouse.net

Old 03-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Miles Fidelman

Scott Ferguson<scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com <mailto:scott.ferguson.debian.user%40gmail.com>> wrote

On 28/03/12 12:24, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> I have an old tower machine - a homebrew that I use as a sandbox. Just
> loaded it up with a copy of squeeze, and a xen installation - works
> fine, but...
> - shutdown -h works just fine
> - reboot goes down, gives the console message "restarting system", then
> hangs
>
> On an earlier installation (Lenny, x86 install) adding "reboot=bios"
> solved the problem. This time around - 64bit image (amd64), squeeze,
> none of the reboot=[....] parameters seem to make a difference. (I note
> that the Debian installer documentation indicates that reboot=bios only
> works with x86).
>
> Any suggestions? Any configuration things I should try to uncover that
> might help find a solution (I don't have paperwork on the box, anymore -
> so it's going to be a matter of running various probes to figure out
> what's on the motherboard and such - suggested commands welcome.)

I suspect you've already thought of this but... could it be an ACPI
problem? I use a number of older machines for development - some require
acpi=force to shutdown properly or they just hang at the last stage of halt.

didn't help, actually didn't expect it to, since "shutdown" works fine, reboot is the issue

but... just discovered a new symptom... SOMETIMES reboot works
(with reboot=force on the command line) - if I try reboot right after the system has come up,
then it hangs at the final step before it should restart, but if I wait a while, then the
system will sometimes reboot rather than hanging -- seems like something is interfering at a
very low level

come to think of it... maybe something funny is happening in the hypervisor (xen), ... hmmm

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Archive: 4F731E4C.8020007@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F731E4C.8020007@meetinghouse.net

Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 29/03/12 00:58, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>> On Mi, 28 mar 12, 09:26:55, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>>> Haven't heard a peep on this one.

<snipped, there's an irony there somewhere>

Have you also tried both soft *and* hard reboots? (or should I make you
wait a few days? ;-p)

There is a list of things I'd check in BIOS and dmesg, but I'd start
with using another kernel, then looking for ACPI issues when calling
halt, *then* look at reboot. But that's just my approach to isolation
testing those sorts of issues, not necessarily the "right" way.

Kind regards

answers to Debian questions:-

Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Miles Fidelman