Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Miles Fidelman

Default 2nd try: reboot hangs

Haven't heard a peep on this one. Anybody at least have a suggestion
re. other places to ask this question (perhaps a kernel-related list?)

Miles Fidelman wrote:

Maybe somebody can suggest a fix:

I have an old tower machine - a homebrew that I use as a sandbox.
Just loaded it up with a copy of squeeze, and a xen installation -
works fine, but...

- shutdown -h works just fine
- reboot goes down, gives the console message "restarting system",
then hangs

On an earlier installation (Lenny, x86 install) adding "reboot=bios"
solved the problem. This time around - 64bit image (amd64), squeeze,
none of the reboot=[....] parameters seem to make a difference. (I
note that the Debian installer documentation indicates that
reboot=bios only works with x86).

Any suggestions? Any configuration things I should try to uncover
that might help find a solution (I don't have paperwork on the box,
anymore - so it's going to be a matter of running various probes to
figure out what's on the motherboard and such - suggested commands
welcome.)

Thanks!

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra