Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 PM
James Allsopp

Default Differences between using KVM and virt-install?

Hi,
I was trying for ages to build a KVM virtual machine using virt-install
and it always failed, tried KVM command directly following Gentoo
instruction and got it to work first time. Is there any difference in
the end result between these two methods?

Thanks,
James

Archive: 4F7309E2.8000803@googlemail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F7309E2.8000803@googlemail.com

Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Jon Dowland

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:53:54PM +0000, James Allsopp wrote:
> I was trying for ages to build a KVM virtual machine using
> virt-install and it always failed, tried KVM command directly
> following Gentoo instruction and got it to work first time.

What commands failed? What commands worked?

> Is there any difference in the end result between these two methods?

They both produce virtual machines, when they work. So the answer
to your question is sort-of "no", since they're equivalent at that
level of description.