Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Jon Dowland

Default When will Debian 7.0 with Linux Kernel 3.x be Released?

On 27/03/12 11:55, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:

libvirt and virt-manager are not virtualization solutions/hypervisors.
They are virtualization management tools.

I am of course absolutely aware of that. I could have simply said that
Debian 6.0 supports KVM, but offered the management tools as further
evidence that 6.0 was a good platform for a virtualisation solution, in

the hope of being helpful.

Here's further (perhaps futile) effort to try and be helpful: 6.0 (and
earlier) also have Ganeti: <http://packages.debian.org/ganeti>

IMHO the management tools are MUCH more important than the underlying
technology. If I could only choose either the base VM tech or the
management tool, I'd always opt to have control over the latter.

--
Jon Dowland

Archive: 4F72CD33.6080705@debian.org">http://lists.debian.org/4F72CD33.6080705@debian.org

Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Lisi

On Wednesday 28 March 2012 01:37:48 you wrote:
> I prize bleeding edge technology above stability and reliability. But of
> course I still want stability and reliability.

You can't have both, they are self-contradictory. If you prize bleeding edge
technology above stability and reliability then you clearly need Ubuntu.
Stop trying to pressure Debian into becoming Ubuntu. Many of us like it how
it is and do not want to use an Ubuntu clone.

Moreover, Wheezy is available now. You do not need to wait until it is
released, by when it will no longer be cutting edge, that is, if it even is
now.

Lisi

Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Richard Hector

On 27/03/12 19:38, Johan Grönqvist wrote:

> Debian 7 is expected to be frozen this summer,

And here was me thinking it would be this winter.

Hint: This is an international list. Seasons aren't good for
international representation of dates :-)

Richard

Old 03-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Mi, 28 mar 12, 22:11:42, Richard Hector wrote:
> On 27/03/12 19:38, Johan Grönqvist wrote:
>
> > Debian 7 is expected to be frozen this summer,
>
> And here was me thinking it would be this winter.
>
> Hint: This is an international list. Seasons aren't good for
> international representation of dates :-)

Depends on the calendar used: according to ddate(1) wheezy is due to
freeze in Confusion

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 03-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 02:00:18 +0800, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:

> On 27/03/2012 22:14, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:04:57 +0800, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
>>
>>> I am actually looking forward to Debian 7.0 with Linux Kernel 3.x. As
>>> we all know, Debian 6.0.x is still using the old Linux Kernel 2.6.
>> Kernel 3.x is just a naming marketing strategy, indeed it's 2.6.40.
>> Anyway, there's a kernel 3.2 available in the backports.
>
> I already have Linux kernel 3.3.0.

So then, what? :-)

Anyway, IIRC it was mentioned by Debian kernel devels that wheezy will be
released with kernel 3.2.x.

>>> When will Debian 7.0 be released?
>> AFAIK, it will be frozen in ~June, released... nobody knows, that's a
>> feature.
>
> Frozen in June 2012?

Yes, that's how it is (at least to my knowledge).

>>> Debian with Linux Kernel 3.x release seems very slow when all the
>>> other Linux distros already have the latest Linux Kernel 3.x. Why do I
>>> want Linux Kernel 3.x? Because I want to play around with Xen
>>> virtualization (dom0 required).
>> You can go to "www.kernel.org", download the greatest and latest 3.3
>> (still in devel branch) and compile by yourself using your current
>> kernel ".config" file.
>
> I always go to kernel.org to get my latest Linux kernels. I have already
> compiled and installed 3.2.11, 3.2.12, 3.2.13, 3.3.0-rc7, and 3.3.0
> myself.

So then, what? :-)

>>> Debian developers, please speed up!
>> Please don't, keep things stable and take your time :-)
>
> I want it fast!

"Fast" does not match with stability and well-tested software, two magic
words that usually go along with Debian stable releases. If you want
"fast" things you can keep a perpetual testing or use sid.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Simon Brandmair

On 27/3/2012 07:10 Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:

> When will Debian 7.0 be released?

When it's done.

SCNR.
Simon

Old 03-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Mika Suomalainen

Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Mi, 28 mar 12, 18:29:19, Mika Suomalainen wrote:

> 2. Add these lines to /etc/apt/preferences.d/backports (or
> /etc/apt/preferences) :
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=squeeze-backports
> Pin-Priority: 500
>
> WARNING TO STEP TWO: This will make all packages from backports have
> same priority as packages from main repositories, so ALL packages will
> be installed from backports if they are newer than the ones at main
> repositories. If you are using Squeeze for stability, you might not
> want this.

I'm quite convinced it's safer to run testing instead. Backports is not
(and never was) intended to be used like this. For example some packages
in backports may not work well together (or at all) even if they do so
in testing.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 27 March 2012 11:50:16 Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> Are you saying Debian 7 will
> only be released early next year? So slow!

Good. Slow and steady not only wins the race, it also leads to stable and
reliable software.

Lisi

Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 27 March 2012 19:00:18 Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> I want it fast!

Then use Ubuntu.

Lisi