Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Osamu Aoki

Default When will Debian 7.0 with Linux Kernel 3.x be Released?

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 05:29:47PM +0800, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> I am not putting pressure on Debian to change.

Sorry... I do not feel pressure from your postings.

Debian practically release new system every 6 hours :-)
See "Life with eternal upgrades":
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_life_with_eternal_upgrades

For people like you or me who needs relatively new system for
non-mission critical desktop system as a technically capable user, we
have sid/testing/experimental... repositories. We just use the word
"release" in very narrow sense, i.e., only for stable release.

Debian upgrade scripts makes this eternal upgrades possible.

As for Kernel, we have 3.3 packaged as linux-2.6 3.3~rc6-1~experimental.1
http://packages.qa.debian.org/l/linux-2.6/news/20120305T193428Z.html

If you really wish us to feel pressure for release, send us patches to
fix RC bugs. (I think you have to learn how we operate first though.)

As being volunteer organization, it used to take years to make stable
release. Recently, it have been shortend to 2 year cycle. We need
volunteer to make this keep happning. (No verbal pressure but patches!)

Osamu

Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 10:16:46 +1200, Chris wrote in message
<20120406221645.GA24134@tal>:

> On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 05:21:01PM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> > On Friday 06 April 2012 17:02:05 Chris Bannister wrote:
> > > Ummm, well, obviously if you have backports in your sources list
> > > you are no longer running stable.
> >
> > It depends on the pinning. I have it in my sources.list, but I
> > have to ask for it expressly for a particular package. I don't
> > feel that one or two backported packages immediately means that the
> > system is not stable/Stable. What about the multimedia repository?
> > Opera? etc. Obviously anything that comes out of any repository
> > other than main is not true-blue-pucka Stable. But in the real
> > world one sometimes has to compromise, and I would still feel able
> > to claim that my Stable box is just that, Stable.
>
> You seem to be confusing the meaning of stable in the distribution
> sense. It doesn't mean "free of bugs" or "unlikely to crash", it
> means unchanging/not moving. So by having backports you are changing
> that.
>
> Likewise, unstable doesn't mean "buggy" or "likely to crash", it means
> "constantly changing".
>
> Perhaps better names would have been
> unpredictable/testing/predictable?

..naaah, call them "development/testing/production." ;o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three: