Old 03-29-2012, 05:51 AM
Mika Suomalainen

Default When will Debian 7.0 with Linux Kernel 3.x be Released?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Mika Suomalainen

Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Lisi

On Thursday 29 March 2012 06:51:30 Mika Suomalainen wrote:
> Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Tuesday 27 March 2012 19:00:18 Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> >> I want it fast!
> >
> >Then use Ubuntu.
>
> Why not Sid?

I thought it possible that Ubuntu was nearer to the stability also required.
Since I have only tried and not used both Sid and Ubuntu I would not take a
stand on that. But I did consider it.

Lisi

Old 03-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 29 mar 12, 12:34:10, Mika Suomalainen wrote:

> I have used both Ubuntu and Debian Sid and according to my experience,
> Sid is usually more stable than Ubuntu. The only expection in
> stabiliness was that "Problematic upgrade" (name of thread on this
> list) of libpcsomething3.

It seems you mean application stability (as in not crashing). The OP
might also be interested in version stability, at least over some period
of time, while sid has a constant stream of updates. The only thing in
Debian that would be comparable are the snapshots proposed as
alternative to CUT.

Of course, one could just not upgrade for a while, but this means more
security bugs and the upgrade may become more and more difficult over
time[1], without having the benefit of the testing and documentation of
a stable release upgrade.

[1] probably nothing an experienced sid user can't handle, but I still
wouldn't recommend it to someone new to Debian

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 03-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 March 2012 19:00:18 Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
>>
>> I want it fast!
>
> Then use Ubuntu.

You must mean "use non-LTS."

Old 03-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Lisi

On Thursday 29 March 2012 17:21:48 Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 March 2012 19:00:18 Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> >> I want it fast!
> >
> > Then use Ubuntu.
>
> You must mean "use non-LTS."

That's up to him, but Debian is patently not what he wants. He is doing his
best to change it.

Lisi

Old 03-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:34:46 +0800, Teo wrote in message
<4F725CA6.1030009@gmail.com>:

> On 28/03/2012 03:13, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:05, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
> > <ubuntu.fan.2012@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Too slow!
> > Not at all.
> > You should probably follow your email address to Ubuntu if that kind
> > of speed fits you better.
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Kelly Clowers
> >

> I am right now installing Debian Squeeze amd64 via netboot Xen
> installation on my Ubuntu 11.10 amd64 host. It takes a long time to
> download packages from the cdn.debian.net mirror though.

..so speed it up, set up your own lan mirror:
root@epc9:~# du -sch /var/www/debian/*
134M /var/www/debian/dists
1000K /var/www/debian/doc
194G /var/www/debian/pool
16K /var/www/debian/project
4.0K /var/www/debian/README
4.0K /var/www/debian/README.CD-manufacture
4.0K /var/www/debian/README.html
172K /var/www/debian/README.mirrors.html
92K /var/www/debian/README.mirrors.txt
2.4M /var/www/debian/tools
194G total
root@epc9:~#

..me, I forgot all about Experimental, so I've only got Sid,
testing and stable for amd64, i386, source and hurd-i386.

..anyone with a 'du -sch /var/www/debian/*' that includes
Experimental?

> It is a
> paravirtualized (PV) Debian squeeze guest installation.

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 03-30-2012, 05:17 AM
"Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)"