-   -   Why did gtkdialog disappear from the repository? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/649715-why-did-gtkdialog-disappear-repository.html)

Jason Hsu 03-28-2012 05:39 AM

Why did gtkdialog disappear from the repository?

It would normally be at http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gtkdialog/gtkdialog_0.7.20-4_i386.deb .

However, I see at http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gtkdialog/ that gtkdialog_0.7.20-4_i386.deb has disappeared.

What's going on? I need that package for scripts for my Linux distro Swift Linux, and so does antiX Linux.

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com>

Scott Ferguson 03-28-2012 06:11 AM

On 28/03/12 16:39, Jason Hsu wrote:
> It would normally be at http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gtkdialog/gtkdialog_0.7.20-4_i386.deb .
>
> However, I see at http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gtkdialog/ that gtkdialog_0.7.20-4_i386.deb has disappeared.
>
> What's going on? I need that package for scripts for my Linux distro Swift Linux, and so does antiX Linux.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gtkdialog.html

Maybe you should become the new maintainer.

Kind regards

answers to Debian questions:-

Jon Dowland 03-28-2012 08:38 AM

Why did gtkdialog disappear from the repository?

Maybe you should become the new maintainer.

Or switch to one of the "better alternatives" that the RM bug claims
exist: http://bugs.debian.org/543945

Sadly, such bugs almost never actually cite what the "better
alternatives" are…

Archive: 4F72CE00.6070707@debian.org">http://lists.debian.org/4F72CE00.6070707@debian.org

Scott Ferguson 03-28-2012 09:26 AM

On 28/03/12 19:38, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On 28/03/12 07:11, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> Maybe you should become the new maintainer.
>
> Or switch to one of the "better alternatives" that the RM bug claims
> exist: http://bugs.debian.org/543945

I read it as, unmaintained because it's (claimed) upstream no longer
maintain it?

> Sadly, such bugs almost never actually cite what the "better
> alternatives" are…

It would be helpful for those, like the OP, who don't or can't search.
It is mentioned that radare had it as a dependancy - but I can't see
what radare now uses in it's place.

I'll never miss gtkdialog because I use kdialog, but zenity is popular
and probably useful as a replacement. And I'm confident a quick search
of debian packages would yield others, otherwise the OP could always
repackage upstream for his Mint/Antix remixed "distro".

NOTE: I'm not the OP, please quote more carefully.

Jon Dowland 03-28-2012 10:57 AM

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 08:26:18PM +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> NOTE: I'm not the OP, please quote more carefully.

Please expand: I trimmed to just what you said and attributed it to
just you. Where do you think I went wrong?

Rob Owens 03-28-2012 12:20 PM

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 09:38:24AM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On 28/03/12 07:11, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> >Maybe you should become the new maintainer.
>
> Or switch to one of the "better alternatives" that the RM bug claims
> exist: http://bugs.debian.org/543945
>
> Sadly, such bugs almost never actually cite what the "better
> alternatives" are…

Zenity would work. I've used it and it's pretty easy to use. I'm not
sure how close the syntax is to gtkdialog, though.

-Rob

Camalen 03-28-2012 02:46 PM

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 00:39:40 -0500, Jason Hsu wrote:

> It would normally be at
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gtkdialog/gtkdialog_0.7.20-4_i386.deb
> .
>
> However, I see at http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gtkdialog/
> that gtkdialog_0.7.20-4_i386.deb has disappeared.

As others already pointed out, the package has been removed from the
repos but I bet it is still available at the snapshot:

http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20080513T000000Z/pool/main/g/gtkdialog/gtkdialog_0.7.20-4_i386.deb

> What's going on? I need that package for scripts for my Linux distro
> Swift Linux, and so does antiX Linux.

I use "zenity" to build dialogs in GNOME, not sure if this will suit to
your needs. Otherwise, maybe you can compile the package from upstream
sources.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Jason Hsu 03-28-2012 03:33 PM

Why did gtkdialog disappear from the repository?

Thanks for updating me. I'm switching to PyGTK. A good example of a dialog box consisting of buttons to push to perform a certain action is at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/PyGTK_For_GUI_Programming/Signals .

At least I can be sure that PyGTK will be properly maintained, as it's part of Python. Given how widely Python is used, I can't imagine support for it being dropped. (And it's included with Linux Mint and antiX Linux.)