Old 03-28-2012, 03:03 AM
prad

Default hp tc4200 tablet pen input howto?

i'm running debian squeeze stable and according to this:

Instructions for Debian Squeeze (Xorg >= 1.7)
Both Xorg and the Linux Wacom project have changed DRASTICALLY in Debian
Squeeze (for example Xorg 1.7 eliminated its configuration file
"xorg.conf" file). The instructions on this page are limited to older
systems. However, if you have Squeeze then you can easily get your Wacom
working by installing the Debian packages "xserver-xorg-input-wacom" and
"xinput". After plugging in your tablet you can configure it using the
"xinput" command (note that the utility "xsetwacom" is no longer
necessary).
http://www.spencerstirling.com/computergeek/wacom.html

i should be able to get the tablet to work.

xserver-xorg-input-wacom
xinput
hal
are all installed.

however, whenever i try to do something with xinput i get:

Unable to connect to X server

i got the impression that xinput will help me configure the tablet so
the pen will work?

i tried the tablet on ubuntu live and the pen worked right away.

what do i need to do?

--
in friendship,
prad

Old 03-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:03:12 -0700, prad wrote:

> i'm running debian squeeze stable and according to this:

(...)

> http://www.spencerstirling.com/computergeek/wacom.html
>
> i should be able to get the tablet to work.
>
> xserver-xorg-input-wacom
> xinput
> hal
> are all installed.
>
> however, whenever i try to do something with xinput i get:
>
> Unable to connect to X server

How are you running "xinput"? Are you inside an X session?

> i got the impression that xinput will help me configure the tablet so
> the pen will work?
>
> i tried the tablet on ubuntu live and the pen worked right away.
>
> what do i need to do?

I would also take a look into your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to check if the
Xorg server has detected and configured the device properly.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 PM
prad

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> How are you running "xinput"? Are you inside an X session?

extremely foolishly!
i was doing it remotely from the ssh terminal.

i eventually went to ubuntu because the pen worked right away, but i
might return to debian just to get things to work.

thx for your question or i could be wandering around cyberspace still.

--
in friendship,
prad