-   -   Install Memcache in debian (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/64957-install-memcache-debian.html)

hce 04-06-2008 01:52 AM

Install Memcache in debian

Hi,

While I am building and installing Memcache in debian, the README says
"If using Linux, you need a kernel with epoll.". Is the debian 4.0
uses kernel with epoll?

Thank you.

Jim

Florian Kulzer 04-06-2008 08:02 AM

Install Memcache in debian

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 11:52:29 +1000, hce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While I am building and installing Memcache in debian, the README says
> "If using Linux, you need a kernel with epoll.". Is the debian 4.0
> uses kernel with epoll?

I have no idea (since I run Sid with a self-compiled kernel), but I can
show you how to find it out for your running kernel:

$ grep EPOLL /boot/config-$(uname -r)
CONFIG_EPOLL=y

Florian |

"Chris Henry" 04-06-2008 09:12 AM

Install Memcache in debian

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Florian Kulzer
<florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 11:52:29 +1000, hce wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > While I am building and installing Memcache in debian, the README says
> > "If using Linux, you need a kernel with epoll.". Is the debian 4.0
> > uses kernel with epoll?
It should be. At least it is on mine (2.6.18-6, K7 kernel installed by
Etch). You can do what Florian Kulzer suggested below to double check:

> I have no idea (since I run Sid with a self-compiled kernel), but I can
> show you how to find it out for your running kernel:
>
> $ grep EPOLL /boot/config-$(uname -r)
> CONFIG_EPOLL=y

Chris

hce 04-06-2008 09:16 AM

Install Memcache in debian

On 4/6/08, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 11:52:29 +1000, hce wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > While I am building and installing Memcache in debian, the README says
> > "If using Linux, you need a kernel with epoll.". Is the debian 4.0
> > uses kernel with epoll?
>

> I have no idea (since I run Sid with a self-compiled kernel), but I can
> show you how to find it out for your running kernel:
>
> $ grep EPOLL /boot/config-$(uname -r)
> CONFIG_EPOLL=y

Thanks Florian, That works.

Jim

Steve Kemp 04-06-2008 02:47 PM

Install Memcache in debian

On Sun Apr 06, 2008 at 11:52:29 +1000, hce wrote:

> While I am building and installing Memcache in debian, the README says
> "If using Linux, you need a kernel with epoll.". Is the debian 4.0
> uses kernel with epoll?

Memcache is already available for Debian Etch, for example I use the
perl bindings, and got them via:

apt-get install libcache-memcached-perl memcached

See here for a brief overview of the memcache + perl bindings:

Steve
--
Managed Anti-Spam Service
http://mail-scanning.com/

Chris Bannister 04-07-2008 11:03 PM

Install Memcache in debian

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 11:52:29AM +1000, hce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While I am building and installing Memcache in debian, the README says
> "If using Linux, you need a kernel with epoll.". Is the debian 4.0
> uses kernel with epoll?

Default 2.6.22-4-686 kernel from backports:

chrisb@box:~$ grep -i -n epoll /boot/config-$(uname -r)
71:CONFIG_EPOLL=y

--
Chris.