-   -   How do I get aptitude to unhold??? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/64947-how-do-i-get-aptitude-unhold.html)

"Dennis G. Wicks" 04-06-2008 12:43 AM

How do I get aptitude to unhold???

Yeah, it should be simple, but it isn't doing it!

I have a whole bunch of packages held from back when I
had a buggy apt-get and aptitude and now I want to
upgrade and I can't get them unheld. Where is that list
at? Is there any way I can just go delete the list/file?

This is what I do:

aptitude unhold sysvinit <etc.>
and aptitude -f unhold sysvinit <etc.>

No joy!

TIA,
Dennis

Paul Johnson 04-06-2008 02:26 AM

On Saturday 05 April 2008 05:43:05 pm Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> Yeah, it should be simple, but it isn't doing it!
>
> I have a whole bunch of packages held from back when I
> had a buggy apt-get and aptitude and now I want to
> upgrade and I can't get them unheld. Where is that list
> at? Is there any way I can just go delete the list/file?
>
> This is what I do:
>
> aptitude unhold sysvinit <etc.>
> and aptitude -f unhold sysvinit <etc.>

Mark it as "install" or "upgrade" instead.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Luca Sighinolfi 04-06-2008 08:59 AM

How do I get aptitude to unhold???

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 19:43:05 -0500
"Dennis G. Wicks" <wix@eskimo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> This is what I do:
>
> aptitude unhold sysvinit <etc.>
> and aptitude -f unhold sysvinit <etc.>

Try to lanch "aptitude -u" and then press g: it shows you a list of
packages that you can upgrade, right?
Then press "+" for the packages you want upgrade.

Does it work?

> TIA,
> Dennis

bye
--
Luca Sighinolfi

Daniel Burrows 04-06-2008 03:31 PM

How do I get aptitude to unhold???

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 07:43:05PM -0500, "Dennis G. Wicks" <wix@eskimo.com> was heard to say:
> Yeah, it should be simple, but it isn't doing it!
>
> I have a whole bunch of packages held from back when I had a buggy
> apt-get and aptitude and now I want to upgrade and I can't get them
> unheld. Where is that list at? Is there any way I can just go delete the
> list/file?
>
> This is what I do:
>
> aptitude unhold sysvinit <etc.>
> and aptitude -f unhold sysvinit <etc.>

That should work. What do you mean that they're "held" and that you
"can't get them unheld"?

Daniel

"Douglas A. Tutty" 04-07-2008 12:31 AM

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 07:43:05PM -0500, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> Yeah, it should be simple, but it isn't doing it!
>
> I have a whole bunch of packages held from back when I
> had a buggy apt-get and aptitude and now I want to
> upgrade and I can't get them unheld. Where is that list
> at? Is there any way I can just go delete the list/file?
>
> This is what I do:
>
> aptitude unhold sysvinit <etc.>
> and aptitude -f unhold sysvinit <etc.>

Run aptitude with no parameters, then limit the list (Ctrl-l) to those
packages on hold (~ahold). Then select the header of all packages on
hold and hit "+" to mark them for install. This removes the hold. Then
do an update to get the current version.

Doug.