-   -   Random grumble to anybody doing translation-work, esp. to norwegian. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/649384-random-grumble-anybody-doing-translation-work-esp-norwegian.html)

Camaleón 03-27-2012 01:28 PM

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:19:03 +0200, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:

> I hate it when "y/N ?" gets translated into "j/N ?", and then the proggy
> will not accept "j" as an answer. Only "y".
>
> (pertains to norwegian translations).

:-)

Then better contact the norwegian translation team¹ and share your
concern with them but I think this is a sort of convention for all the
translations teams.

¹http://www.debian.org/international/Norwegian

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

John Jason Jordan 03-27-2012 04:19 PM

Random grumble to anybody doing translation-work, esp. to norwegian.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:28:29 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> dijo:

>On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:19:03 +0200, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
>
>> I hate it when "y/N ?" gets translated into "j/N ?", and then the
>> proggy will not accept "j" as an answer. Only "y".
>>
>> (pertains to norwegian translations).
>
>:-)
>
>Then better contact the norwegian translation team¹ and share your
>concern with them but I think this is a sort of convention for all the
>translations teams.

The problem is not in the translation, but the program. The Norwegian
version of the program should not just change the menus, but also
change the code so "j" and "J" are accepted as positive answers.

What should really happen is that all programs should access the
language settings of the computer they are being run on, and there
should be an internal flag so the program will accept the proper input
for the language in use on the computer.

The y/N input is only one of countless places where the language
affects the input. I'll bet if Håkon pokes around in the program more
such problems will surface.

Camaleón 03-27-2012 04:30 PM

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 09:19:25 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:28:29 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> dijo:
>
>>On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:19:03 +0200, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
>>
>>> I hate it when "y/N ?" gets translated into "j/N ?", and then the
>>> proggy will not accept "j" as an answer. Only "y".
>>>
>>> (pertains to norwegian translations).
>>
>>:-)
>>
>>Then better contact the norwegian translation team¹ and share your
>>concern with them but I think this is a sort of convention for all the
>>translations teams.
>
> The problem is not in the translation, but the program. The Norwegian
> version of the program should not just change the menus, but also change
> the code so "j" and "J" are accepted as positive answers.

(...)

The same goes for Spanish ("Y/n" is presented as "S/n").

But I guess this is usually specified at the ".po" files (that's why I
suggested to contact the translation team), there are times when it can
be translated because the routine will (or is prepare to) accept both
inputs (English and localized strings) and there are times when only
English is possible and translators are told to keep it in English ("Y/
n") to avoid misinterpretations by users.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Andrei POPESCU 03-28-2012 01:09 PM

On Ma, 27 mar 12, 14:19:03, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
> I hate it when "y/N ?" gets translated into "j/N ?", and then the
> proggy will not accept "j" as an answer. Only "y".
>
> (pertains to norwegian translations).

Sounds like a bug in the program (not the translation), please report
it.

Kind regards,
Andrei