Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Default Question about make-kpkg and versions

Hi,

I am trying to understand how make-kpkg chooses the versions for the
packages it creates. Each package has a name(a), which contains a
version part(a1), as well as a version(b), which is further split in
upstream version(b1) and Debian revision(b2), right? Assuming this, I'll
ask my question in the form of a quiz: :-)

1) The Makefile contains the three components of the upstream version,
as well as an EXTRA_VERSION string. Together these define the package
name(a). The make-kpkg replaces or appends the value of
--append-to-version to the EXTRA_VERSION string?
2) When I specify a --revision argument, this becomes the package's
complete version(b). The man pages mention that the default value is
10.00.Custom. However if I omit the --revision argument the version is
of the form 3.2.12-10.00.Custom, i.e. it includes the Makefile version,
and not 10.00.Custom. Is this an error in the manual?
3) When I omit the --revision argument how is the upstream version(b1)
calculated? In particular is the --append-to-version string included in
the version(b1), or only the EXTRA_VERSION string in the Makefile?
4) Finally does dpkg-buildpackage invoke make-kpkg or does it use it's
own mechanisms?

Thanks and best regards,
Panayiotis

Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Stephen Powell

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 06:49:58 -0400 (EDT), Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> I am trying to understand how make-kpkg chooses the versions for the
> packages it creates. Each package has a name(a), which contains a
> version part(a1), as well as a version(b), which is further split in
> upstream version(b1) and Debian revision(b2), right? Assuming this, I'll
> ask my question in the form of a quiz: :-)

Hello, Panayiotis. I would start by reviewing "Step 9" in my kernel
building web page, http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.
It doesn't use the same terminology as you do, but maybe it will help
explain things. The man page is out of date with respect to the
default value of --revision, if it is omitted. The default was changed
recently to conform with current Debian policy, but the man page is
out of date. I suggest that you use the latest version of kernel-package,
version 12.036+nmu2, plus the patch which I mention at the end of step 6.
I wouldn't omit --revision if I were you. I always specify it to match
the package version of the kernel source package. Read the web
page, especially step 9, to get my complete methodology for my kernel
version and kernel revision naming convention. You are, of course,
entitled to do it differently; but this method makes sense to me.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 03-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Thanks! This seems to cover me.

Not much of a terminology, haha, I just had to put the numbers in there
because there are three version substrings in the .deb file of a kernel
package! To the confusion adds the fact that the version of the source
package (now starts with 2.6 even for 3.0+ kernels), the version in the
name of the package and the debian package version are often different!

Regards,
Panayiotis

Old 03-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Stephen Powell

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:28:51 -0400 (EDT), Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> Thanks! This seems to cover me.
>
> Not much of a terminology, haha, I just had to put the numbers in there
> because there are three version substrings in the .deb file of a kernel
> package! To the confusion adds the fact that the version of the source
> package (now starts with 2.6 even for 3.0+ kernels), the version in the
> name of the package and the debian package version are often different!

Yes, I've noticed that. Ever since moving off of 2.6.xx kernels, we've
got naming convention issues. I've been meaning to ask the kernel team
about this. I guess it's time to do it. I will post my question to
the debian-kernel mailing list and see what happens.

At the time I wrote my kernel-building web page, the kernel version in
the package name always matched the internal kernel version, and the
package version always did too. There were different suffices, but the
basic version (x.y.z, for example, 2.6.32), was always consistent. This
is no longer the case. As further clarification, make-kpkg uses
the internal version in it's package name, and the value specified for
--append-to-version will be appended to this internal version. The
internal version is specified in the title of the main menu displayed
by "make menuconfig". I may need to update my kernel-building web page
to add further clarification on this matter, but I'd like to get some
clarification from the kernel team first on how they're doing things.
(I.e. is this a bug or a feature?)

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 03-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Panayiotis

On 3/28/12, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> (I.e. is this a bug or a feature?)

Haha, indeed! It seems M$ is haunting us, haha...

Regards,
Panayiotis