Old 03-27-2012, 12:08 AM
GoOSSBears

Default Reducing size of /lib following an 'apt-get upgrade'?

Have Debian Wheezy installed and recently performed an 'apt-get upgrade' to kernel 3.2.0 (3.2.0-2-686-pae in full).
The system is a single-boot/Debian-only x86 machine with an intentionally-limited 400MB root partition (/), besides larger and separate partitions of /var, /usr, /home, /opt, /tmp, and swap.

Before the 'apt-get upgrade', the root partition took up approximately 230MB space out of the 400MB initially allocated for this.
Following the upgrade, the root partition is now 305MB full (~76% used up), with /lib taking up more than 250MB of this space.
This system uses an initrd to boot its kernel (initrd.img-3.2.0-2-686-pae).

Don't wish to mess up the current partition table, but *DO* wish to eventually upgrade the system with a higher kernel version, so....
===> Which files and folders can one successfully mv out of /lib to a larger partition of a similar filesystem, i.e., through space-conserving symlinks (ln -sf), to reduce the size imprint of /lib ??

Any good ideas for this short of an absolute necessity to resize the root partition?
TYIA,
-A

Old 03-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2012-03-27 02:08 +0200, GoOSSBears wrote:

> Have Debian Wheezy installed and recently performed an 'apt-get upgrade' to kernel 3.2.0 (3.2.0-2-686-pae in full).
> The system is a single-boot/Debian-only x86 machine with an
> intentionally-limited 400MB root partition (/), besides larger and
> separate partitions of /var, /usr, /home, /opt, /tmp, and swap.
>
> Before the 'apt-get upgrade', the root partition took up approximately
> 230MB space out of the 400MB initially allocated for this.
> Following the upgrade, the root partition is now 305MB full (~76% used
> up), with /lib taking up more than 250MB of this space.
> This system uses an initrd to boot its kernel (initrd.img-3.2.0-2-686-pae).
>
> Don't wish to mess up the current partition table, but *DO* wish to
> eventually upgrade the system with a higher kernel version, so....
> ===> Which files and folders can one successfully mv out of /lib to a
> larger partition of a similar filesystem, i.e., through
> space-conserving symlinks (ln -sf), to reduce the size imprint of /lib

Unless you have a way to mount that separate filesystem very early in
the boot process, this is hardly possible.

> Any good ideas for this short of an absolute necessity to resize the root partition?

Try a recent version of dracut, it should be able to mount /usr from the
initramfs. Unfortunately, initramfs-tools currently lack¹ this ability.

Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=652459

Old 03-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2012-03-27 02:08 +0200, GoOSSBears wrote:
>
>> Have Debian Wheezy installed and recently performed an 'apt-get upgrade' to kernel 3.2.0 (3.2.0-2-686-pae in full).
>> The system is a single-boot/Debian-only x86 machine with an
>> intentionally-limited 400MB root partition (/), besides larger and
>> separate partitions of /var, /usr, /home, /opt, /tmp, and swap.
>>
>> Before the 'apt-get upgrade', the root partition took up approximately
>> 230MB space out of the 400MB initially allocated for this.
>> Following the upgrade, the root partition is now 305MB full (~76% used
>> up), with /lib taking up more than 250MB of this space.
>> This system uses an initrd to boot its kernel (initrd.img-3.2.0-2-686-pae).
>>
>> Don't wish to mess up the current partition table, but *DO* wish to
>> eventually upgrade the system with a higher kernel version, so....
>> ===> Which files and folders can one successfully mv out of /lib to a
>> larger partition of a similar filesystem, i.e., through
>> space-conserving symlinks (ln -sf), to reduce the size imprint of /lib
>
> Unless you have a way to mount that separate filesystem very early in
> the boot process, this is hardly possible.
>
>> Any good ideas for this short of an absolute necessity to resize the root partition?
>
> Try a recent version of dracut, it should be able to mount /usr from the
> initramfs. Â*Unfortunately, initramfs-tools currently lackÅ¡ this ability.
>
> Å¡ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=652459

+1 for dracut with a new, separate "/usr" partition.

If you do install dracut, make sure that you have console-data
installed (I've filed a bug report for dracut to depend on
console-data) as well as bzip2 (a colleague ran into this but I have
no idea whether he filed a report).