Old 03-26-2012, 11:30 PM

Default Can't read or boot from Squeeze 6.0.4 disk 1 on Original iMac

Hey all,

I'm having some trouble getting Debian Squeeze installed on my old original iMac, which is one of the first "Bondi" blue ones ... from what your install guide says, it should be supported; plus I know it's not the disks though, because the OpenSuSE box I burnt them on can read them, and they were verified as 100% correct by K3B after I made the disks. I also tried getting the disk to boot from Open Firmware, but to no avail.

Considering this, the only thing I can figure is that it must have something to do with the bios it has, especially after what I've read from the following site on getting OS-X (tiger) running on these antiques:

http://lowendmac.com/macdan/md07/1207.html

Anyway, the currently installed Mac OS 8.6's Apple System Profiler reports the CPU to be a 333MHz PowerMac G3, the Boot ROM Version as 3.0.f3, and the Mac OS ROM File Version as 1.6. So ... can someone tell me what I might do to get Squeeze on here, if at all possible minus having to flash the firmware?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 PM
John Wesley Cooper

Is there a mailing list more appropriate to the question I asked in my last email? I'd really like to get this sorted out, and not be stuck sitting on my hands for days on end.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 27 March 2012 20:20:33 John Wesley Cooper wrote:
> not be stuck sitting on my hands for days on end

According to the date lines you had been waiting for an answer for 30 hours.
Hardly "days on end".

Lisi

Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 PM
John Wesley Cooper

I apoligize, but I wasn't trying to imply that I had been waiting for days, simply that I'd rather end up waiting that long only to find that I'd have been better off sending my question to another mailing list.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Elimar Riesebieter

* John Wesley Cooper <jwesleycooper@cox.net> [2012-03-27 12:20 -0700]:

> Is there a mailing list more appropriate to the question I asked
> in my last email?

http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/

Elimar
--
Obviously the human brain works like a computer.
Since there are no stupid computers humans can't be stupid.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 PM

Thanks, I'll go ahead and post it there.