Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 PM
"John W. Foster"

Default Unneeded directory..from what?

I'm doing some cleaning of my system and while looking for an answer to
another issue, I discovered this
file: /etc/default/kdm.d/10_desktop-base

I do not use kde at all and have never installed it on this system.
I see nothing showing 'residual' files or configs installed, so where
did this come from, & can I just delete it?
frosty

Old 03-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:20:01 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:

> I'm doing some cleaning of my system and while looking for an answer to
> another issue, I discovered this
> file: /etc/default/kdm.d/10_desktop-base
>
> I do not use kde at all and have never installed it on this system. I
> see nothing showing 'residual' files or configs installed, so where did
> this come from, & can I just delete it? frosty

The file is part of "desktop-base" package, I also have it installed in
Lenny. As long as I have the package installed, I wouldn't touch it.

sm01@stt008:~$ dpkg -l | grep desktop-base
ii desktop-base 5.0.3 common files for the Debian Desktop

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Lu, 26 mar 12, 12:20:01, John W. Foster wrote:
> I'm doing some cleaning of my system and while looking for an answer to
> another issue, I discovered this
> file: /etc/default/kdm.d/10_desktop-base
>
> I do not use kde at all and have never installed it on this system.
> I see nothing showing 'residual' files or configs installed, so where
> did this come from, & can I just delete it?
> frosty

$ dpkg -S /etc/default/kdm.d/10_desktop-base
desktop-base: /etc/default/kdm.d/10_desktop-base

Hope this helps,
Andrei

Old 03-26-2012, 06:56 PM
"John W. Foster"

On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 17:30 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:20:01 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
>
> > I'm doing some cleaning of my system and while looking for an answer to
> > another issue, I discovered this
> > file: /etc/default/kdm.d/10_desktop-base
> >
> > I do not use kde at all and have never installed it on this system. I
> > see nothing showing 'residual' files or configs installed, so where did
> > this come from, & can I just delete it? frosty
>
> The file is part of "desktop-base" package, I also have it installed in
> Lenny. As long as I have the package installed, I wouldn't touch it.
>
> sm01@stt008:~$ dpkg -l | grep desktop-base
> ii desktop-base 5.0.3 common files for the Debian Desktop
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Yes I see the problem. I actually discovered the source of the
dependency right after I mailed the list. Thanks for replying, I've
decided to just leave it. Wish there was a Debian setup protocol that
would allow selecting Gnome or Kde, etc. & the installer would use
packages that would simply not have the unneeded files in them. Seems
that would go a long ways towards eliminating bugs. But I am not a
developer & am very grateful for their efforts.
Thanks
frosty