Old 03-26-2012, 03:58 AM
Marc Shapiro

Default Lilo not recognizing keyboard SOLVED)

On 03/25/12 20:31, Marc Shapiro wrote:

I just migrated my / partition to a larger partition on a new disk. I
used find piped to cpio which took care of everything except
modifications to fstab and lilo.conf and then running lilo. I made those
changes, leaving tho old setup in lilo.conf as the default and the old
disk installed until I was sure that everything was booting OK. Then I
ran lilo and everything was as expected... until I rebooted.

The lilo screen came up, showing my new menu option and all of my
previous options. The problem is that I can not select anything, so it
eventually boots into the default option. I can not select the other
options, either with the arrow keys, or by typing in the desired option.
Anything that I do at the keyboard is simply ignored and the default
option boots. I recently installed a new keyboard and this one is a USB
keyboard, instead of my old PS2 keyboard. Could this have anything to do
with the problem. The keyboard works fine after linux is loaded.

I should have googled before posting. Aparently lilo is not capable of
recognizing USB keyboards, but the BIOS can. All I needed to do was
find the right BIOS option. The only tricky part was that this option
(in my BIOS) says nothing about keyboards. The option was for allowing
legacy USB support in DOS! Who looks for that?!? Once I found it,
everything is working just fine.

Marc Shapiro

Archive: 4F6FE957.8070308@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F6FE957.8070308@gmail.com

Old 03-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Stan Hoeppner

On 3/25/2012 10:58 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> I should have googled before posting. Aparently lilo is not capable of
> recognizing USB keyboards, but the BIOS can. All I needed to do was
> find the right BIOS option. The only tricky part was that this option
> (in my BIOS) says nothing about keyboards. The option was for allowing
> legacy USB support in DOS! Who looks for that?!?

Anyone who has built/used PCs for say, 10 years, specifically whitebox,
and has spent a fair amount of time in AMI/Award BIOS. Phoenix BIOS
usually ships on retail branded boxen along with Intel retail mobos, and
usually has this function enabled by default on anything sold within the
past 7 years or so. So basically any HardwareFreak would know what to
look for.

--
Stan

Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Stephen Powell

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 23:58:15 -0400 (EDT), Marc Shapiro wrote:

> I should have googled before posting. Aparently lilo is not capable of
> recognizing USB keyboards, but the BIOS can. All I needed to do was
> find the right BIOS option. The only tricky part was that this option
> (in my BIOS) says nothing about keyboards. The option was for allowing
> legacy USB support in DOS! Who looks for that?!? Once I found it,
> everything is working just fine.

Yes, LILO uses the BIOS interface to the keyboard (int 16h, functions
00h (GET KEYSTROKE), 01h (CHECK FOR KEYSTROKE), and 02h (GET SHIFT FLAGS);
so the BIOS must be set up to allow these keyboard BIOS calls to work
with USB keyboards. That's a useful tip, Marc. I have not encountered
this in any of the machines that I use LILO on that have USB keyboards,
but obviously not all machines use the BIOS settings that LILO needs
by default. Please provide more detailed information (i.e. what kind of
BIOS was it? Award? IBM? Phoenix? AMI? What was the BIOS date?
Exactly what menu options did you drill down through to find the setting?)
I'd like to include this as an example problem on my LILO web page

http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/lilo.htm

so please be as detailed as you can.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 03-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Arnt Karlsen

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 05:43:45 -0500, Stan wrote in message
<4F704861.1040001@hardwarefreak.com>:

> On 3/25/2012 10:58 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
>
> > I should have googled before posting. Aparently lilo is not
> > capable of recognizing USB keyboards, but the BIOS can. All I
> > needed to do was find the right BIOS option. The only tricky part
> > was that this option (in my BIOS) says nothing about keyboards.
> > The option was for allowing legacy USB support in DOS! Who looks
> > for that?!?
>
> Anyone who has built/used PCs for say, 10 years, specifically
> whitebox, and has spent a fair amount of time in AMI/Award BIOS.
> Phoenix BIOS usually ships on retail branded boxen along with Intel
> retail mobos, and usually has this function enabled by default on
> anything sold within the past 7 years or so. So basically any
> HardwareFreak would know what to look for.

..one thing lilo will do, is hop back to the old disk if you make
that a menu option. Found that out trying to boot /dev/md0 rather
than dance between /dev/hd{a,b}0. ;o)

..but then grub offers cute things like "ro[tab]". ;o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 03-30-2012, 02:31 AM
Marc Shapiro

Stephen,

I apologize for not posting this sooner, but this was the first chance
that I had to reboot and go into the BIOS Setup.

To answer your questions...

AMI BIOS v02.54 4/22/2005

Features Setup
USB Function For DOS Enabled (Default was Disabled)

Marc

Archive: 4F751AE9.8020802@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F751AE9.8020802@gmail.com

Old 03-30-2012, 02:39 AM
Marc Shapiro