Old 03-26-2012, 03:53 AM
Marc Shapiro

Default Best way to migrate disks (SOLVED)

On 03/24/12 23:25, Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta wrote:

On 03/25/2012 01:16 AM, Marc Shapiro wrote:

I have an old 40GB disk and a recently purchased 1TB disk. The new
disk has been partitioned into a 2GB swap partition, two 500MB
partitions that are currently empty and the remainder is an LVM2 PV
which I have added to my VG, so I now have plenty of space. So far, so
good.

My problem is that I am still booting off of the 40GB disk and my /
partition has pretty much run out of space (it is about 280MB). I want
to migrate everything from there into one of the 500MB partitions on
the new drive and boot from there. What is the best way to do this?
Any suggestions?

Marc

First, make a backup. Don't modify anything on the old disk, just in the
new one!!!

Thanks to everyone who replied. I asked here first to find a 'Debian'
answer, but I probably should have just Googled it. I found several
sites advocating piping the results of find to cpio and this worked
perfectly. All I had to do after that was to add a new stanza to
lilo.conf and update fstab in the new partition, then run lilo. Works
like a charm.

Marc