Old 03-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Csanyi Pal

Default Installing Debian as VirtualBox guest - which videodriver to install?

Hi,

I just installed on my Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid host on VirtualBox
the Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid as guset using the
http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/netboot/mini.iso

so I get virtual consoles but not a desktop environment.

I don't know whichvideodriver to install to get X Window on guest
system?

On host system I have installed xserver-xorg-video-nvidia. Should I
install it on the guest system too?

--
Regards from Pal

Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 PM
"Christofer C. Bell"

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed on my Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid host on VirtualBox
> the Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid as guset using the
> http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/netboot/mini.iso
>
> so I get virtual consoles but not a desktop environment.
>
> I don't know whichvideodriver to install to get X Window on guest
> system?

You don't need to install one at all. Install the packages
build-essential and the appropriate linux-headers package for your
system. Then select "Install Guest Additions" from the VirtualBox
"Devices" menu. Run the "VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" script from the
virtual CD that mounts. Then reboot.

That should be all there is to it.

Note that you will need to rebuilt the Guest Additions every time the
kernel is upgraded so you may prefer copying the
VBoxLinuxAdditions.run file to somewhere in your guest's filesystem.
I just put it in /root myself.

--
Chris

Old 03-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Greg Madden

On Sunday 25 March 2012 12:34:15 pm Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just installed on my Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid host on VirtualBox
> > the Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid as guset using the
> > http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/netboot/mini.iso
> >
> > so I get virtual consoles but not a desktop environment.
> >
> > I don't know whichvideodriver to install to get X Window on guest
> > system?
>
> You don't need to install one at all. Install the packages
> build-essential and the appropriate linux-headers package for your
> system. Then select "Install Guest Additions" from the VirtualBox
> "Devices" menu. Run the "VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" script from the
> virtual CD that mounts. Then reboot.
>
> That should be all there is to it.
>
> Note that you will need to rebuilt the Guest Additions every time the
> kernel is upgraded so you may prefer copying the
> VBoxLinuxAdditions.run file to somewhere in your guest's filesystem.
> I just put it in /root myself.
>
> --
> Chris

'virtualbox-ose-guest-dkms'

This package rebuilds the modules on any kernel update.
--
Peace,

Greg

Old 03-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 26/03/12 04:58, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed on my Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid host on VirtualBox
> the Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid as guset using the
> http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/netboot/mini.iso
>
> so I get virtual consoles but not a desktop environment.
>
> I don't know whichvideodriver to install to get X Window on guest
> system?
>
> On host system I have installed xserver-xorg-video-nvidia. Should I
> install it on the guest system too?

No. See the answers from Greg and Christofer and note that there are two
different virtualbox releases.

Greg is describing the procedure for virtualbox-ose and Christofer is
correct for virtualbox-4.1 (Oracle VM VirtualBox).

Aside from license, the difference is basically USB support.

Kind regards

answers to Debian questions:-

Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 PM
"Rui Miguel P. Bernardo"

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just installed on my Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid host on VirtualBox
> the Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid as guset using the
> http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/netboot/mini.iso
>
> so I get virtual consoles but not a desktop environment.
>
> I don't know whichvideodriver to install to get X Window on guest
> system?
>
> On host system I have installed xserver-xorg-video-nvidia. Should I
> install it on the guest system too?

Hi,

virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 will give you seamless screen display. I also
recommend virtualbox-ose-guest-utils, virtualbox-ose-guest-source and
virtualbox-ose-guest-dkms. These package names are for squeeze but
work in wheezy/sid (transitional packages). The packages
virtualbox-dkms may also be needed if not already installed, not sure.
If the guest dkms module build fails, install it.

To have all the video drivers installed install xserver-xorg and
xserver-xorg-video-all. xserver-xorg-video-all will not install
non-free drivers and will make sure you have vesa available.
xserver-xorg-video-all is a package that can be safely removed later
if you really want to remove some of the drivers installed.

To install a desktop install the -session package of the preferred
desktop (lxsession, xfce4-session, gnome-session, etc) and xinit to
use startx. To use a desktop manager just install one (kdm, gdm3,
lightdm, etc).

You don't need nvidia drivers in the guest, you need the virtualbox
drivers, even for 3d accel in guest.

Hope it helps.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:37 AM
Csanyi Pal

Hi Rui,

"Rui Miguel P. Bernardo" <rui.bernardo.pt@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just installed on my Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid host on VirtualBox
>> the Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid as guset using the
>> http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/netboot/mini.iso
>>
>> so I get virtual consoles but not a desktop environment.
>>
>> I don't know whichvideodriver to install to get X Window on guest
>> system?
>>
>> On host system I have installed xserver-xorg-video-nvidia. Should I
>> install it on the guest system too?

> virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 will give you seamless screen display. I also
> recommend virtualbox-ose-guest-utils, virtualbox-ose-guest-source and
> virtualbox-ose-guest-dkms. These package names are for squeeze but
> work in wheezy/sid (transitional packages). The packages
> virtualbox-dkms may also be needed if not already installed, not sure.
> If the guest dkms module build fails, install it.
>
> To have all the video drivers installed install xserver-xorg and
> xserver-xorg-video-all. xserver-xorg-video-all will not install
> non-free drivers and will make sure you have vesa available.
> xserver-xorg-video-all is a package that can be safely removed later
> if you really want to remove some of the drivers installed.
>
> To install a desktop install the -session package of the preferred
> desktop (lxsession, xfce4-session, gnome-session, etc) and xinit to
> use startx. To use a desktop manager just install one (kdm, gdm3,
> lightdm, etc).
>
> You don't need nvidia drivers in the guest, you need the virtualbox
> drivers, even for 3d accel in guest.

OK

I have installed on guest system followings:
virtualbox-guest-x11
virtualbox-guest-dkms
virtualbox-guest-utils

It works, I have X Window system, I just use 'startx' to get it.
I have installed gpm for mouse support on textual console (not X)
When in textual mode (not X) in virtual terminal the gpm works but it is
buggy. The mouse pointer isn't in the proper position so one can't
always select (highlight) text in virtual terminal because just can't to
reach some rows in the terminal.

--
Regards from Pal

Old 03-26-2012, 04:10 PM
"Rui Miguel P. Bernardo"

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 7:37 AM, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rui,
>
> "Rui Miguel P. Bernardo" <rui.bernardo.pt@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I just installed on my Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid host on VirtualBox
>>> the Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid as guset using the
>>> http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/netboot/mini.iso
>>>
>>> so I get virtual consoles but not a desktop environment.
>>>
>>> I don't know whichvideodriver to install to get X Window on guest
>>> system?
>>>
>>> On host system I have installed xserver-xorg-video-nvidia. Should I
>>> install it on the guest system too?
>
>> virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 will give you seamless screen display. I also
>> recommend virtualbox-ose-guest-utils, virtualbox-ose-guest-source and
>> virtualbox-ose-guest-dkms. These package names are for squeeze but
>> work in wheezy/sid (transitional packages). The packages
>> virtualbox-dkms may also be needed if not already installed, not sure.
>> If the guest dkms module build fails, install it.
>>
>> To have all the video drivers installed install xserver-xorg and
>> xserver-xorg-video-all. xserver-xorg-video-all will not install
>> non-free drivers and will make sure you have vesa available.
>> xserver-xorg-video-all is a package that can be safely removed later
>> if you really want to remove some of the drivers installed.
>>
>> To install a desktop install the -session package of the preferred
>> desktop (lxsession, xfce4-session, gnome-session, etc) and xinit to
>> use startx. To use a desktop manager just install one (kdm, gdm3,
>> lightdm, etc).
>>
>> You don't need nvidia drivers in the guest, you need the virtualbox
>> drivers, even for 3d accel in guest.
>
> OK
>
> I have installed on guest system followings:
> virtualbox-guest-x11
> virtualbox-guest-dkms
> virtualbox-guest-utils
>
> It works, I have X Window system, I just use 'startx' to get it.
> I have installed gpm for mouse support on textual console (not X)
> When in textual mode (not X) in virtual terminal the gpm works but it is
> buggy. The mouse pointer isn't in the proper position so one can't
> always select (highlight) text in virtual terminal because just can't to
> reach some rows in the terminal.

Yes, that happens here too in tty. Apparently gpm only works correctly
in fullscreen. I don't know if its gpm or virtualbox drivers fault. I
use Host+f (fullscreen on/off) as a workaround.