-   -   Iceweasel privacy settings behave differently depending on user (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/648625-iceweasel-privacy-settings-behave-differently-depending-user.html)

Ken Heard 03-25-2012 02:49 PM

Iceweasel privacy settings behave differently depending on user

Camaleón 03-25-2012 03:41 PM

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 21:49:09 +0700, Ken Heard wrote:

> My spouse and I are the only two users on our laptop, a Lenovo R61. The
> laptop OS is Lenny (still), and the version of Iceweasel is 3.6.26 from
> Lenny-backports.
>
> In my spouse's privacy preference window "never remember history" is
> selected. This preference is stable; it is never changed except by
> deliberate human action.
>
> In my privacy preference window however, whenever I select "never
> remember history" and close that window, Iceweasel will never let me
> keep it.

(...)

Something similar happened to me in Lenny when using Iceweasel (now still
with Lenny but on Firefox 11), that some of the privacy settings did not
stick despite I manually enabled the checkbox. As I finally removed the
stock Iceweasel (3.0.x) I forgot about it.

What could you try to restore the functionality?

- Manually set the value from "about:config"
- Test with an empty profile

> Does anybody have an explanation for this behaviour?

Mmm... I'm not sure, but it could be due to a corrupted "*.sqlite"
database file.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón 03-26-2012 02:51 PM

Iceweasel privacy settings behave differently depending on user

El 2012-03-26 a las 10:17 +0700, Ken Heard escribió:

(sending back to the list)

> Camaleón wrote:
>
> > Something similar happened to me in Lenny when using Iceweasel (now still
> > with Lenny but on Firefox 11), that some of the privacy settings did not
> > stick despite I manually enabled the checkbox. As I finally removed the
> > stock Iceweasel (3.0.x) I forgot about it.
>
> I suppose that if I wait long enough the problem will be resolved by use
> of newer versions of Iceweasel. 3.6.26-1 from Lenny-backports is the
> one I am using now; it is also the same one used for Squeeze. Wheezy
> has 10.0.2-1; that version may some time be backported in Squeeze.
> Experimental has 11.0-3, but I am afraid to use it. I could also do
> what you do and use the latest version of Firefox.

I finally realized this is the best approach and not just in Lenny but
for the next Debian system I will have to install (wheezy), I'm
planning to remove the stock Mozilla programs (Iceweasel/Icedove) and go
for the upstream ones. Why? Because of the Mozilla upgrade policy, it's
very difficult for distributions to follow their "bi-monthly?" set of
updates :-/

> > What could you try to restore the functionality?
> >
> > - Manually set the value from "about:config"
> > - Test with an empty profile
>
> As I mentioned in my post there seems to be a viable work-around. In
> the meantime I can live with the work-around; I really do not have the
> time now to see if there is something in about:config which will ensure
> consistency among users.

And most sure is that the setting in "about:config" are both identical,
but by resetting it to the default it could restore its functionality.

> Besides, if about:config settings are global, i.e., not user specific,
> then the difference in behaviour among users would surely have to reside
> in some user-specific user file, prefs.js perhaps?

"about:config" should tweak the settings for the current user, not
globally.

> >> Does anybody have an explanation for this behaviour?
> >
> > Mmm... I'm not sure, but it could be due to a corrupted "*.sqlite"
> > database file.
>
> I am not sure I want to go there either for reasons already explained.

Yup, I also left as it was (broken) until I installed Firefox where
this setting started working again, but I also wondered what could have
caused the mess and after searching and digging in the web, I reached
the conclusion it could be possibily due to a corruptued FF database
file.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón