FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Tony Baldwin
 
Default aptitude failure to fetch

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 05:00:45AM -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 04:44:16PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> > Pada 25 Mac 2012 4:35 PTG, Tony Baldwin <tony@tonybaldwin.org> menulis:
> > > Aptitude is not fetching updates.
> > > (neither is apt-get).
> > >
> > > I see
> > > W: Failed to fetch
> > > http://security.debian.org/dists/squeeze/updates/Release *Unable to find
> > > expected entry *experimental/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-index file
> > > (malformed Release file?)
> > >
> > > E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> > > ones used instead.
> > >
> >
> > have you tried:
> >
> > apt-get clean
> > apt-get autoremove
> > apt-get update
>
> Yes, and I still get the same messages.

Okay, I found it was all "experimental" repos causing this.
Also, I had entries for both mozilla.debian.org iceweasel-release
and icweasel-5.0 (while I currently have iceweasel-11).
So, removing the extraneous iceweasel-5.0 (leaving iceweasel-release)
and removing "experimental" from all entries
seems to have resolved the matter.
I don't know why I had iceweasel-5.0.

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time!
3F330C6E
 
Old 03-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Andrei POPESCU
 
Default aptitude failure to fetch

On Du, 25 mar 12, 05:44:13, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 05:00:45AM -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 04:44:16PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> > > Pada 25 Mac 2012 4:35 PTG, Tony Baldwin <tony@tonybaldwin.org> menulis:
> > > > Aptitude is not fetching updates.
> > > > (neither is apt-get).
> > > >
> > > > I see
> > > > W: Failed to fetch
> > > > http://security.debian.org/dists/squeeze/updates/Release *Unable to find
> > > > expected entry *experimental/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-index file
> > > > (malformed Release file?)
> > > >
> > > > E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> > > > ones used instead.
> > > >
> > >
> > > have you tried:
> > >
> > > apt-get clean
> > > apt-get autoremove
> > > apt-get update
> >
> > Yes, and I still get the same messages.
>
> Okay, I found it was all "experimental" repos causing this.

This doesn't sound right, I'd be curios to see your sources.list before
the change.

Kind regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 03-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Andrei POPESCU
 
Default aptitude failure to fetch

On Du, 25 mar 12, 16:44:16, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> Pada 25 Mac 2012 4:35 PTG, Tony Baldwin <tony@tonybaldwin.org> menulis:
> > Aptitude is not fetching updates.
> > (neither is apt-get).
> >
> > I see
> > W: Failed to fetch
> > http://security.debian.org/dists/squeeze/updates/Release *Unable to find
> > expected entry *experimental/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-index file
> > (malformed Release file?)
> >
> > E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> > ones used instead.
> >
>
> have you tried:
>
> apt-get clean

This will clean the *package* cache

> apt-get autoremove

This will remove packages automatically installed

> apt-get update

You probably meant deleting the index files before running this (I'm too
lazy to websearch the correct location).

Kind regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 03-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Tony Baldwin
 
Default aptitude failure to fetch

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 07:53:17PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Du, 25 mar 12, 05:44:13, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 05:00:45AM -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> > > On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 04:44:16PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> > > > Pada 25 Mac 2012 4:35 PTG, Tony Baldwin <tony@tonybaldwin.org> menulis:
> > > > > Aptitude is not fetching updates.
> > > > > (neither is apt-get).
> > > > >
> > > > > I see
> > > > > W: Failed to fetch
> > > > > http://security.debian.org/dists/squeeze/updates/Release *Unable to find
> > > > > expected entry *experimental/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-index file
> > > > > (malformed Release file?)
> > > > >
> > > > > E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> > > > > ones used instead.
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > have you tried:
> > > >
> > > > apt-get clean
> > > > apt-get autoremove
> > > > apt-get update
> > >
> > > Yes, and I still get the same messages.
> >
> > Okay, I found it was all "experimental" repos causing this.
>
> This doesn't sound right, I'd be curios to see your sources.list before
> the change.

Here is my sources.list.
You can see what I've commented out.

# repos

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main non-free contrib

deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main
deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-release

# deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile/ squeeze/volatile main
# non-free
# deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile/ squeeze/volatile
# main non-free

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ squeeze main
deb http://debian.dc-uoit.net/debian-multimedia/ stable main

# deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free main

# deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports
# main non-free contrib experimental

# deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze experimental

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-proposed-updates non-free
contrib main
# experimental
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates non-free contrib main
# experimental

# deb ftp://h0.org.ua/pub/elipse/debian/pkg squeeze main
# deb-src ftp://h0.org.ua/pub/elipse/debian/pkg squeeze main


>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --
> Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic



--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time!
3F330C6E
 
Old 03-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Andrei POPESCU
 
Default aptitude failure to fetch

On Lu, 26 mar 12, 16:04:11, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 07:53:17PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Du, 25 mar 12, 05:44:13, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> > >
> > > Okay, I found it was all "experimental" repos causing this.
> >
> > This doesn't sound right, I'd be curios to see your sources.list before
> > the change.
>
> Here is my sources.list.
> You can see what I've commented out.
...
> # deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports
> # main non-free contrib experimental
...
> # deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze experimental
>
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-proposed-updates non-free
> contrib main
> # experimental
> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates non-free contrib main
> # experimental

Yep, just as I expected

For your information (and the archives), experimental is a
suite/version/release[1] not a component/area. A line for experimental
looks like this:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental main

Suits in Debian are oldstable, stable, testing, unstable, experimental
and components/areas are main, contrib, non-free, but derivatives may
have others. Very simply put, suits are about versions, components about
types of software. Releases also have codenames (except experimental).

[1] experimental and unstable/sid are actually never released

Hope this explains,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Keith McKenzie
 
Default aptitude failure to fetch

On 27/03/12 07:50, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

Suits in Debian are oldstable, stable, testing, unstable, experimental
and components/areas are main, contrib, non-free, but derivatives may
have others. Very simply put, suits are about versions, components about
types of software. Releases also have codenames (except experimental).

[1] experimental and unstable/sid are actually never released

Hope this explains,
Andrei
--

Interesting information, thanks.
Keith


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4F718262.2040600@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F718262.2040600@gmail.com
 
Old 03-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Yuriy Kuznetsov
 
Default aptitude failure to fetch

Hi,
I'm getting the following errors in logs from Debian servers for last 3-4 days already:
Mar 29 04:34:51 cron-apt: W: Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/dists/lenny/updates/main/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 2001:xxx:x:x:xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx 80]

Was lenny removed from repository updates I wonder?
Thanks and regards,Yuriy
 
Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Jochen Spieker
 
Default aptitude failure to fetch

Yuriy Kuznetsov:
>
> Was lenny removed from repository updates I wonder?

Yes.

J.
--
If I was Mark Chapman I would have shot John Lennon with a water pistol.
[Agree] [Disagree]
<http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>
 
Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Yuriy Kuznetsov
 
Default aptitude failure to fetch

Hi Jochen,
Can you advice what repository I can use instead for systems with lenny, please?
Thanks a lot,Yuriy

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

Yuriy Kuznetsov:

>

> Was lenny removed from repository updates I wonder?



Yes.



J.

--

If I was Mark Chapman I would have shot John Lennon with a water pistol.

[Agree] * [Disagree]

* * * * * * * * <http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>
 
Old 03-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Andrei POPESCU
 
Default aptitude failure to fetch

On Jo, 29 mar 12, 11:14:00, Yuriy Kuznetsov wrote:
> Hi Jochen,
>
> Can you advice what repository I can use instead for systems with lenny,
> please?

squeeze

By this I mean you should prepare to upgrade as soon as possible:

1. prepare to have the computer unusable for at least a few hours (as
long as the upgrade runs), but up to a few days, in case serious
problems come up and you need more time to fix them.

2. read carefully and follow the advice in the release notes

Kind regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:36 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org