Old 04-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Dave Sherohman

Default Fwd:

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 04:31:28PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> Frankly, I don't know what I saw in it when I was
> younger. It was just weird.

Yes, it was. Wasn't that the point?

--
News aggregation meets world domination. Can you see the fnews?
http://seethefnews.com/

Old 04-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 10:40:09 -0500

Hello Ron,

> Preferences change... My children *love* the same movies and

True, but The Prisoner was not really aimed at a young (i.e.
pre-teen) audience.

> cartoons that I liked when I was young, but now they just bore me to

Because you've matured, and the cartoon haven't changed, and have
little, if any, content for adults.

> tears. Better, though, than letting them watch Yu-Gi-Oh.

Infinitely.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Black man got a lot of problems, but he don't mind throwing a brick
White Riot - The Clash

Old 04-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 10:56:10 -0500
Dave Sherohman <dave@sherohman.org> wrote:

Hello Dave,

> > younger. It was just weird.
> Yes, it was. Wasn't that the point?

To a degree, yes. In the end, if that's all it is, then it's
unfulfilling. Patrick McGoohan always maintains there's more to it
than that. He refuses, however, to be drawn on the subject. Which, in
itself is just as weird. :-)

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

Early morning when I wake up, I look like Kiss but without the make up
Strong - Robbie Williams

Old 04-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 13:11:37 -0500

Hello Ron,

> Since it's obvious that pre-teen don't get /The Prisoner/, next time
> I guess I'd better not give such broad examples of changing taste.

:-)

OTOH, ti was the obvious choice, given the genesis of this sub-thread.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

Every single one of us
Devil Inside - INXS

Old 04-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Hal Vaughan

On Sunday 06 April 2008, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 10:56:10 -0500
> Dave Sherohman <dave@sherohman.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Dave,
>
> > > younger. It was just weird.
> >
> > Yes, it was. Wasn't that the point?
>
> To a degree, yes. In the end, if that's all it is, then it's
> unfulfilling. Patrick McGoohan always maintains there's more to it
> than that. He refuses, however, to be drawn on the subject. Which,
> in itself is just as weird. :-)

No, it's not. As Joe Straczynski, the creator of Babylon 5 has often
said, to suggest is to create, to define is to destroy.

Many people who create something they've worked hard on do not want to
talk about the creative process or to tell people what was intended.
To do so limits the interpretations and leads people to think that
there is only interpretation to the work. When the discussion stops
around such a creation, it no longer holds the interest it did.

If someone jumped out of a time portal today and said, "I've been
hopping around in time and know why La Giaconda is smiling," it would
limit the interest in the painting. If we knew whether the protagonist
picked the lady or picked the tiger, the short story would hold no
interest. If we knew for sure why Hamlet is such a wimp, much of what
compels people to reinterpret the play over and over would be gone.

Hal

Old 04-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Paul Johnson

On Sunday 06 April 2008 08:18:32 am Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/06/08 10:06, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 09:56:32 -0500
> > Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Ron,
> >
> >> /The Prisoner/, Patrick McGoohan. Google makes this kind of thing
> >> too easy.
> >
> > I didn't need Google; I watched it as a kid. Sheesh, I'm starting to
> > feel old again. :-(
>
> I watched it as a teenager (because PBS didn't run it in the late
> 60s, and I wouldn't have cared, even if they did), but didn't obsess
> over it.

Well, it probably didn't help that PBS didn't even launch until October 1970.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Paul Johnson

On Sunday 06 April 2008 09:02:41 am Ron Johnson wrote:

> And the 1933 /King Kong/, the B&W /Secret Garden/ (which my 8yo
> daughter likes), and the live action Disney movies from the late 50s
> thru mid 70s like /The Shaggy Dog/, /Flubber/, /The World's
> Strongest Man/, /Escape From Witch Mountain/ etc.
>
> Turner Classic Movies is *the* channel in our house. It and a PVR
> that burns DVDs are unbeatable.

Song of the South was really good, and despite having a ride themed after it
at pretty much every Disney park, odds of finding a copy of Song of the South
on anything but an old Japanese laserdisc are pretty slim these days.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 PM