-   -   how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/648411-how-increase-space-tmpfs-tmp.html)

shirish शिरीष 03-24-2012 01:42 PM

how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

Hi all,
I got this error, does anybody know how I can give more space to tmpfs ?

Downloaded, time 4575.50sec, speed 29kB/sec,
texlive-latex-extra-doc_2009-10_2011.20120322-1_all.debdelta
Error: applying of delta for texlive-latex-extra-doc failed: :
Sorry, not enough disk space (581788kB) in directory /tmp for applying
delta (needs 668963kB) (retriable)

I tried this command :-

$sudo mount -o size=734003200 /tmp

This gave me this :-

$ df -hT
Filesystem Type Size
Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs rootfs 84G
16G 65G 20% /
udev devtmpfs 996M
0 996M 0% /dev
tmpfs tmpfs 201M
744K 200M 1% /run
/dev/disk/by-uuid/somuuidno. ext4 84G 16G 65G 20% /
tmpfs tmpfs 5.0M
0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs tmpfs 700M
0 700M 0% /tmp
tmpfs tmpfs 401M
84K 401M 1% /run/shm
/dev/sda10 ext4 84G
77G 3.2G 97% /home
tmpfs tmpfs 700M
0 700M 0% /tmp
tmpfs tmpfs 700M
0 700M 0% /tmp

The only change I have done here is just masked/not shared the uuid
number of the disk. Even after doing this change I got the same error
as before. What's more now I can see two entries for tmpfs as well but
still a no go, any ideas anybody ?

--
* * * * * Regards,
* * * * * Shirish Agarwal* शिरीष अग्रवाल

shirish शिरीष 03-24-2012 01:54 PM

how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

please CC me if anybody does answer this, sorry for top-posting.

Joey Hess 03-24-2012 02:23 PM

shirish शिरीष wrote:
> I got this error, does anybody know how I can give more space to tmpfs ?
>
> Downloaded, time 4575.50sec, speed 29kB/sec,
> texlive-latex-extra-doc_2009-10_2011.20120322-1_all.debdelta
> Error: applying of delta for texlive-latex-extra-doc failed: :
> Sorry, not enough disk space (581788kB) in directory /tmp for applying
> delta (needs 668963kB) (retriable)

Edit /etc/default/rcS, set RAMTMP=no, reboot. Or, set TMPDIR to point to
something like $HOME/tmp

You may also consider filing a bug, since the more people report
problems with Debian's new, absurdly small /tmp, the more likely it
is to get fixed.

--
see shy jo

Javier Vasquez 03-24-2012 04:00 PM

2012/3/24 Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>:
> shirish शिरीष wrote:
>> I got this error, does anybody know how I can give more space to tmpfs ?
>>
>> Downloaded, time 4575.50sec, speed 29kB/sec,
>> texlive-latex-extra-doc_2009-10_2011.20120322-1_all.debdelta
>> *Error: applying of delta for texlive-latex-extra-doc failed: *:
>> Sorry, not enough disk space (581788kB) in directory /tmp for applying
>> delta (needs 668963kB) (retriable)
>
> Edit /etc/default/rcS, set RAMTMP=no, reboot. Or, set TMPDIR to point to
> something like $HOME/tmp
>
> You may also consider filing a bug, since the more people report
> problems with Debian's new, absurdly small /tmp, the more likely it
> is to get fixed.
>
> --
> see shy jo

Why?

You can always configure as you wish. Take a look at:

/etc/default/tmpfs

There you can configure TMPFS_SIZE and TMP_SIZE, which are the ones
asked for. And if you definitely don't want to use tmpfs, then you
can RAMTMP=yes as you suggested.

I think this is a matter of configuration, and we all might want
different settings for our purposes, :-)

Thanks,

--
Javier.

Camaleón 03-24-2012 04:10 PM

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 11:00:49 -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:

> 2012/3/24 Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>:
>> shirish शिरीष wrote:
>>> I got this error, does anybody know how I can give more space to tmpfs
>>> ?
>>>
>>> Downloaded, time 4575.50sec, speed 29kB/sec,
>>> texlive-latex-extra-doc_2009-10_2011.20120322-1_all.debdelta
>>> *Error: applying of delta for texlive-latex-extra-doc failed: *:
>>> Sorry, not enough disk space (581788kB) in directory /tmp for applying
>>> delta (needs 668963kB) (retriable)
>>
>> Edit /etc/default/rcS, set RAMTMP=no, reboot. Or, set TMPDIR to point
>> to something like $HOME/tmp
>>
>> You may also consider filing a bug, since the more people report
>> problems with Debian's new, absurdly small /tmp, the more likely it is
>> to get fixed.

+5

> Why?

Because the default is giving some headaches to the users?

> You can always configure as you wish. Take a look at:
>
> /etc/default/tmpfs
>
> There you can configure TMPFS_SIZE and TMP_SIZE, which are the ones
> asked for. And if you definitely don't want to use tmpfs, then you can
> RAMTMP=yes as you suggested.
>
> I think this is a matter of configuration, and we all might want
> different settings for our purposes, :-)

There was a recent discussion in this same list about that entitled
"[Feedback needed] Setting the right size for /tmp" (it was opened by
me), I would recommend reading people's comments to get a wider outlook
on this with their pros and cons.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Javier Vasquez 03-24-2012 05:40 PM

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 11:00:49 -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:

>>> Edit /etc/default/rcS, set RAMTMP=no, reboot. Or, set TMPDIR to point
>>> to something like $HOME/tmp
>>>
>>> You may also consider filing a bug, since the more people report
>>> problems with Debian's new, absurdly small /tmp, the more likely it is
>>> to get fixed.
>
> +5
>
>> Why?
>
> Because the default is giving some headaches to the users?

How many? Or how many would you consider critical mass to make things change?

To me it's just not possible to provide defaults satisfying all users.

The important thing for the distro is to make sure to provide options
so the user can tweak the system as he/she wants/needs. Not that it
will be perfect by default for his/her needs. And this is already the
case for this tmpfs thing.

Moreover, you can shut debian settings off, and use fstab if you'd
like, as follows:

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,relatime,size=2G 0 0

Current setting is not the most fortunate for some (neither for me),
but users still have the ability to configure as they wish, which BTW
can serve way better than any default now, or even in the future.

>> You can always configure as you wish. *Take a look at:
>>
>> /etc/default/tmpfs
>>
>> There you can configure TMPFS_SIZE and TMP_SIZE, which are the ones
>> asked for. *And if you definitely don't want to use tmpfs, then you can
>> RAMTMP=yes as you suggested.
>>
>> I think this is a matter of configuration, and we all might want
>> different settings for our purposes, :-)
>
> There was a recent discussion in this same list about that entitled
> "[Feedback needed] Setting the right size for /tmp" (it was opened by
> me), I would recommend reading people's comments to get a wider outlook
> on this with their pros and cons.

With so much traffic, I usually miss some e-mails... I'll have to
look for that one you started...

I won't probably talk more about this, :-). I believe the question
has been addressed (with options, and suggestions for complains), and
if not, maybe the original poster can ask further, :-)

> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Thanks,

--
Javier.

shirish शिरीष 03-24-2012 07:00 PM

how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

at bottom :-

2012/3/24 Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v@gmail.com>:
> 2012/3/24 Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>:
>> shirish शिरीष wrote:
>>> I got this error, does anybody know how I can give more space to tmpfs ?
>>>
>>> Downloaded, time 4575.50sec, speed 29kB/sec,
>>> texlive-latex-extra-doc_2009-10_2011.20120322-1_all.debdelta
>>> *Error: applying of delta for texlive-latex-extra-doc failed: *:
>>> Sorry, not enough disk space (581788kB) in directory /tmp for applying
>>> delta (needs 668963kB) (retriable)
>>
>> Edit /etc/default/rcS, set RAMTMP=no, reboot. Or, set TMPDIR to point to
>> something like $HOME/tmp
>>
>> You may also consider filing a bug, since the more people report
>> problems with Debian's new, absurdly small /tmp, the more likely it
>> is to get fixed.
>>
>> --
>> see shy jo
>

> Why?
>
> You can always configure as you wish. *Take a look at:
>
> /etc/default/tmpfs
>
> There you can configure TMPFS_SIZE and TMP_SIZE, which are the ones
> asked for. *And if you definitely don't want to use tmpfs, then you
> can RAMTMP=yes as you suggested.
>
> I think this is a matter of configuration, and we all might want
> different settings for our purposes, :-)

Hi all,
Thank you Joey Hess and Javier Vasquez for answering my query but I
wish some examples would have been given alongwith it.

How do I write values of TMPFS_SIZE and TMP_SIZE

This is what it looks like atm :-

# TMPFS_SIZE: maximum size for all tmpfs filesystems if no specific
# size is provided. If no value is provided here, the kernel default
# will be used.
TMPFS_SIZE=20%

# TMP_SIZE: maximum size of /tmp
#
# No default size.
TMP_SIZE=

Now my questions are :-

a. From where would TMPFS_Size be used ? Would it take from the space
allocated from / (which has enough empty space) or does it take from
/home. Note that I have two partitions / , /home and of course swap is
also good around 4 GB.

$ free -h
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2.0G 1.8G 134M 0B 72M 840M
-/+ buffers/cache: 954M 1.0G
Swap: 4.6G 212M 4.4G

b. The second question is how do I phrase the two ?
tmpfs is given as 20% . 20% is default for what and from where ?

c. What do I write at TMP_SIZE= if I want to say 900 MiB or 1 GiB .

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Javier.

Looking forward for help and advice.

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh 03-24-2012 08:00 PM

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012, Joey Hess wrote:
> shirish शिरीष wrote:
> > I got this error, does anybody know how I can give more space to tmpfs ?
> >
> > Downloaded, time 4575.50sec, speed 29kB/sec,
> > texlive-latex-extra-doc_2009-10_2011.20120322-1_all.debdelta
> > Error: applying of delta for texlive-latex-extra-doc failed: :
> > Sorry, not enough disk space (581788kB) in directory /tmp for applying
> > delta (needs 668963kB) (retriable)
>
> Edit /etc/default/rcS, set RAMTMP=no, reboot. Or, set TMPDIR to point to
> something like $HOME/tmp

You don't need to reboot because of the size change.

"mount -o remount,size=<desired size> /tmp" works, at least for
increasing size. One of the good things of a tmpfs is that you can
resize it dynamically.

> You may also consider filing a bug, since the more people report
> problems with Debian's new, absurdly small /tmp, the more likely it
> is to get fixed.

Hmm, yes, it can certaily be raised by popular demand. But what would
probably help more is a set of profiles of /tmp sizes based on the
amount of system ram to provide the initial default size.

Henrique Holschuh

Javier Vasquez 03-24-2012 08:02 PM

how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

2012/3/24 shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com>:

> How do I write values of TMPFS_SIZE and TMP_SIZE
>
> This is what it looks like atm :-
>
> # TMPFS_SIZE: maximum size for all tmpfs filesystems if no specific
> # size is provided. *If no value is provided here, the kernel default
> # will be used.
> TMPFS_SIZE=20%

See, this is as you wish. This particular setting is the maximum for
ALL of the tmpfs space. Kind of the default if nothing else is
specified. You might not touch this if you don't want. So I would
not be afraid of using 100% of RAM here. Though if you feel like it's
too agressive, you can set something different.

When using %, the percentage is with respect to RAM.

I would recommend you also looking at swappiness setting
(vm.swappiness), :-) When you use absolute sizes, those sizes can go
beyond RAM, as long as they fit into RAM+Swap, that's why I mentioned
swappiness, though a bit off topic.

> # TMP_SIZE: maximum size of /tmp
> #
> # No default size.
> TMP_SIZE=

This is also as per your needs. You might want to use all of the RAM
reducing if you'd like other tmpfs areas such as /run and /run/lock,
plus some margin. Or you could use some other heuristic, more or less
conservative.

I would use half the RAM if I want to be conservative, :-). And if
agressive, then whole RAM, hoping to swap when in need (I usually have
in swap same amount of RAM).

You can google around this, and you can find the following information
useful (though not debian):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab#tmpfs

Notice there's no restriction to go beyond RAM size again, since you
can always swap.

Finally, you do not need to touch /etc/default/tmpfs if you don't want
to. Just set the entry in your /etc/fstab as I mentioned previously,
kind of:

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,relatime,size=2G 0 0

Just make sure the size you use doesn't exceed RAM+Swap...

> Now my questions are :-
>
> a. From where would TMPFS_Size be used ? Would it take from the space
> allocated from / (which has enough empty space) or does it take from
> /home. Note that I have two partitions / , /home and of course swap is
> also good around 4 GB.
>
> $ free -h
> * * * * * * total * * * used * * * free * * shared * *buffers * * cached
> Mem: * * * * *2.0G * * * 1.8G * * * 134M * * * * 0B * * * *72M * * * 840M
> -/+ buffers/cache: * * * 954M * * * 1.0G
> Swap: * * * * 4.6G * * * 212M * * * 4.4G

There's no magic, just experimentation. I think I provided enough
hints, but from your setting: 2g RAM + 4.6g Swap, I would go with the
2g, or even 3g... It doesn't mean you'll be using all that amount of
tmp area, it means you can load through vim a 2g or a 3g file if you'd
like, :-) Vim by default loads in /tmp...

> b. The second question is how do I phrase the two ?
> tmpfs is given as 20% . 20% is default for what and from where ?

Didn't understand. TMPFS_SIZE is kind of the default if no other
setting is found. The rest are specific.

> c. What do I write at TMP_SIZE= if I want to say 900 MiB or 1 GiB .

Do the math, :-) I believe you can use a suffix also. But again, you
can always use fstab without touching debian stuff...

--
Javier.

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh 03-24-2012 08:12 PM

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> How do I write values of TMPFS_SIZE and TMP_SIZE

AFAIK, it will accept whatever "mount" accepts for the "size=" parameter for
tmpfs filesystems. You can find that information on the mount(8) manpage.

> This is what it looks like atm :-
>
> # TMPFS_SIZE: maximum size for all tmpfs filesystems if no specific
> # size is provided. If no value is provided here, the kernel default
> # will be used.
> TMPFS_SIZE=20%

This means 20% of the system RAM.

> # TMP_SIZE: maximum size of /tmp
> #
> # No default size.
> TMP_SIZE=

Which means use whatever is in TMPFS_SIZE, I think.

> a. From where would TMPFS_Size be used ? Would it take from the space
> allocated from / (which has enough empty space) or does it take from
> /home. Note that I have two partitions / , /home and of course swap is
> also good around 4 GB.

It lives in virtual memory, so it is stored in system RAM. Data inside a
tmpfs can be swapped to disk. Unused space in a tmpfs is very cheap, but
AFAIK the tmpfs size _does_ increase the size of some page tables, so if you
really need to know exactly how many resources are taken by unused tmpfs
space, we'd need to ask in LKML for an expert opinion.

> b. The second question is how do I phrase the two ?
> tmpfs is given as 20% . 20% is default for what and from where ?

AFAIK, it's 20% of the available system RAM at kernel boot. I am not sure
it takes into account RAM explicitly set aside for hugepages, but you likely
don't have to worry about that.

> c. What do I write at TMP_SIZE= if I want to say 900 MiB or 1 GiB .

TMP_SIZE=1G
TMP_SIZE=900M

Henrique Holschuh