Old 03-30-2012, 06:48 PM
wlan

Default simple stand-alone firewall

I think netfilter are better firewall, you can read documentation from iptables. It's really cool. =)

2012/3/30 Russell L. Harris <rlharris@broadcaster.org>

* Russell L. Harris <rlharris@broadcaster.org> [120324 07:15]:

> >From the standpoint of protection of a LAN (two or three machines) for

> a home or home office...

> Is there a good firewall application in Debian which provides a secure

> default configuration? *Or must I learn how to configure a firewall?

I thank all of you for the response. *I have read the various

recommendations and have printed them out for reference.

Meanwhile -- because my need is immediate -- I chose to go with the

IPCop system, which is a branch of SmoothWall GPL, but now appears to

have advanced beyond SmoothWall. *IPCop version 2 is very easy to

install and get running, using the default rules.

So now that I have running a replacement for the failed D-Link

DIR-615, I have the leisure to study and consider other approaches.

RLH

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120330170712.GC4184@cromwell.tmiaf

Old 04-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 22:48:18 +0400, wlan wrote in message
<CAP=r6j15MDJdKojHf+2qNvh39vWEgYEsy_MoQvb2P3C4sOD1 YA@mail.gmail.com>:

> 2012/3/30 Russell L. Harris <rlharris@broadcaster.org>
>
> > * Russell L. Harris <rlharris@broadcaster.org> [120324 07:15]:
> > > a home or home office...
> > > Is there a good firewall application in Debian which provides a
> > > secure default configuration? Or must I learn how to configure a
> > > firewall?
> >
> > I thank all of you for the response. I have read the various
> > recommendations and have printed them out for reference.
> >
> > Meanwhile -- because my need is immediate -- I chose to go with the
> > IPCop system, which is a branch of SmoothWall GPL, but now appears
> > to have advanced beyond SmoothWall. IPCop version 2 is very easy to
> > install and get running, using the default rules.
> >
> > So now that I have running a replacement for the failed D-Link
> > DIR-615, I have the leisure to study and consider other approaches.

> I think netfilter are better firewall, you can read documentation from
> iptables. It's really cool. =)

..er, _how_ is netfilter a "better firewall" than the iptables
based ipcop? ;o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three: