-   -   to be root or not to be root (was ... apt-get will upgrade aptitude will not) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/648267-root-not-root-apt-get-will-upgrade-aptitude-will-not.html)

Chris Bannister 03-24-2012 12:33 AM

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 04:16:32PM +0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2012-03-22, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > root@tal:~# apt-cache policy libavformat-extra-53
>
> You don't have to be root to do that, did you know?

True, I normally have a tty open for root anyway and the tty where I
have logged into as my normal user may be "in use" i.e. reading mail.

And because it is a deliberate action typing "alt x" then I tend to be
subconsiously aware that I am now in root mode, and tend to be extra
careful. :)

And yes, I know screen. :)

Also, putting:

PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}[33[01;31m]u@h[33[00m]:[33[01;34m]w[33[00m]$'

inside root's .bashrc displays the prompt in RED for even more warning
stimuli.

Plus, I get annoyed with those "permission denied" errors.

Although being in the admin group helps avoid most of them.

> Just an observation because I use apt-cache frequently and it's
> convenient (and potentially less dangerous for slippery fingers) not to
> be obliged to su to root every time I do.

Not sure what damage typing "apt-cache" can do. :)

-- Napoleon Bonaparte