-   -   bits/news from the users of Debian? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/64813-bits-news-users-debian.html)

Goupil 04-05-2008 07:07 PM

bits/news from the users of Debian?

My post is d-d-a.
I'd like my comments attributed to.
Thanks.

Hi, i'am french (from Cherbourg), Sorry for my very bad english.
My name : Serge Le Tyrant.
My mail : goupilcom@gmail.com
My site : "Le bottin des jeux Linux" speaks about 800 Linux games and i
hope that's growing.
(http://www.surlestracesdupingouin.tuxfamily.org/LesJeuxSousLinux.html)

I use Debian since about 5 years and I love it :).
I start with Debian, then test Mandrake because it seem's at this time
(and people said it was) very complicated.
After about 1 year, some problems for configuring device driver with
Mandrake and more knowledge on Linux i decided to make another test with
Debian and it was the good.
I think graphics interface for installation is a good thing : you have
make a good job !

Actually we have 3 PC (but one with a material problem with the
motherboard) with Debian. It's a family use.

My son (5 years old) use one of it for games (for too much time :)), he
play with Quake4, Glest, Robin hood, Majesty, quake wars, doom3, UT2003,
Nexuiz, E.T., T.C. Elite, W.O.P. and many others (other more small games
like gcompris or gltron).
My wife use Linux for internet to find info and sometime to buy
something she don't find here.
She don't like computers, no chance for making her loving Linux or any
other OS :).
And me because of my site I wrote and i wrote again on OpenOffice and
search playable games for Linux :)).
My two brothers (400km from us, in Paris) use Windows and don't want to
change, it's there choice, it's life :).

I use a portable PC (Samsung Q35) which is a very good computer :
intel's graphics card is not very powerfull but it's very stable : more
than 1 year with it and zero problems after daily upgrade.
For my son's i have an AMD 64 with 1Gb of memory, an nVidia 7800GT
graphics card and about 3To of disk (yes it's great :).
I have encounter many problems with my two 1To Maxtor disk : bad disks
or problem with 2.6.24 kernel ? I don't know.
The (2/3) PC are connected each other with NFS (nice software!) and use
one CLP-500 color laser jet. Difficult to install but works fine.
We have an epson perfection 3490 scanner, a wacom intuos 3 tablet, a
Palm Zire PDA, a Canon MV800 camera and all works fine.
I have encounter a lot of problem with ATI's graphic card (9800 Pro)
which make me prefering NVIDIA which is more stable. I don't use any
more my ATI'card because it is on my old PC with it's dead mother board
but i heard they open there source and for that reason, works better on
Linux.

I don't use popularity-contest package, i don't like the idea that my PC
is sending personal info. Sorry.

I use Debian Sid and I have experiment a lot of problem some years ago
(about 2 or 3) because i install too recent package on Sid which are not
well tested.
I continue to use Sid (for the large choice of new package and upgrade)
but my preference are for installing less recent but more stable package
and then it works fine (and the most important, i have identify and
understand why this silly 3D graphic broke after some upgrade of my
system (each time xserver-xorg-core is upgrading).

I prefer Debian to Ubuntu because i don't like using sudo on each
command and for Debian's philosophy : it's free and wan't to continue to
be free for all people of this planet :). But sometimes i use Ubuntu's
package for games when i don't find them for Debian.

I have using Mandrake : finally i prefer the other philosophy of Debian
: using file for configuration, it's more simple and stable than those
nice interface where you clic and choose without any knowledge of what
you make ... like Windows.
For example, I have experiment (on Debian :) CUPS interface on KDE :
nice but too complicated. No notice, small help and not understanding
anything. You look your cups.conf before configuring : not very simple
with all those commands but with line of help i understand. I launch
KDE's interface but that don't work and then, when i read my cups.conf i
laugh/smile : the lenght of the file is multiplie by 3, don't understand
anything and all is broken.

Actually ?
In general it works (with only two or three line that i have manualy
modify), sometimes it don't.

That's a common problem with Linux (not only Debian i think) with all
device.
All works fine after day and day of searching info and changing
different files, but after some weeks of upgrading your distribution it
don't. There is so great upgrade that you don't know or don't take the
time to watch what is to be upgrade and don't reboot and test all your
system in real time. The result : after some upgrade your scanner or
your printer, your tablet, or your distrib is broken. You loose time and
time to make it working and after some year you continue with some of
your device continuing to not working ... :(

Each time i show my Linux box to a Windows' user :
the same problem, some device or some software don't work ... shame on
me :(.

Perhaps the solution : in Synaptic, separate upgrade of important
package like device driver, and/or better testing for device driver
before showing an upgrade on Synaptic ...

And what about packages ?

I'd like to see a better file manager for Gnome :
I'am searching ...uuu ... yes : It's not concerning only Debian but gnome.
I use KDE why ? : for Konqueror. Because file manager on gnome is very bad.
Please develop a good file manager for gnome with tabs and same
possibility as Konqueror and then probably i use it (because i don't
like friendly distribution of KDE for Windows).

I can use konqueror on gnome but is it using gnome ?

Try making the installation of 3D OpenGL more simple for newbies:
I think the most important thing for growing Linux community is making
it's OpenGL installation more simple.
Use the Intel's model : make a package xserver-xorg-video-* with
integrated 3D support for ATI and nvidia like Intel.

Another idea : modify the script who's installing Mesa.
Consider you install your graphics card driver (nVidia or ATI) and it
works fine.
But when you upgrade one of those packet you broke your 3D installation
: xserver-xorg-core, mesa*, libglu1-mesa*, libgl1*, libdrm.
Because they switch those files and other with there own (who are common
with your proprietary device driver) :

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so
and for nvidia card : /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so

The script must verify there is no installation of OpenGL before
overwriting with there own or ask a simple question (with a small howto
beside the question : Do you wan't to overwrite your OpenGL installation ?).
I think it's a real problem for newbie : for them it's very difficult to
install OpenGL (downloading the driver, finding the version of Gcc for
his kernel, changing it, configuring a kernel or installing the good
header's package, installing the driver, configuring Xorg, and starting
Xorg) and when it works fine they don't understand why after an upgrade
of there Linux'box and some minute of inactivity Xorg reset (it's
because screensaver use 3D, and crash if 3D won't work). They loose a
lot of time to understand and some probably reinstall Linux.
With my Intel's graphic card, nothing of that : plug and play : it works
:). Same after upgrade :).
Because there is only one great package to install :
xserver-xorg-video-intel (the nvidia's or ati's package doesn't contain
3D support).

Another solution : contribute with graphic's card manufacturer : ATI and
NVIDIA
Please, post them Debian package (1 or 2 per years) base on there own
device driver that works fine like Intel's graphics card : you install,
you change one line on your xorg.conf (vesa->ati or nvidia) and it works.

Another solution : another source for non free package who's provide ATI
and NVIDIA packages.
It seems that other distributions provide those kind of package for ATI
and nvidia (alien with those RPM driver and distribute ?)

If it's not possible to make a direct package (because ther is no source
available) perhaps it is possible to make a package that make the other
part of the job : verifying gcc version, make dynamic link, verifying
kernel headers package, launch proprietary driver, change Xorg conf
file, restart Xorg and if it seems that it doesn't work, restart Xorg in
vesa mode and said you what's doesn't.

Debian with other distribution :
what about http://packagekit.org/ ?
It seem's to be a very interesting project for unifying distributions.

Debian for me ?
It's simply ... the most important distribution of the world.
Because it's Linux, then greater than other OS because of it's community
of developper and people, the security, the power of the system and
software.
Because in Linux, Debian use the most powerfull package manager, and one
of the biggest choice of software (and can use other package with alien).

Because i like it's democratic and fun community.
Because in Linux this distribution is free, said it and make it all the
time.

Thanks for that and for your work !
Bye.

Paul Johnson 04-05-2008 08:24 PM

On Saturday 05 April 2008 12:07:12 pm Goupil wrote:

> I don't use popularity-contest package, i don't like the idea that my PC
> is sending personal info. Sorry.

I question whether or not you've looked at popularity-contest, since there's
no personal info involved.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Goupil 04-10-2008 05:41 PM

Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Saturday 05 April 2008 12:07:12 pm Goupil wrote:
>
>> I don't use popularity-contest package, i don't like the idea that my PC
>> is sending personal info. Sorry.
>
> I question whether or not you've looked at popularity-contest, since
> there's
> no personal info involved.
>

> --
> Paul Johnson
> baloo@ursine.ca

I would recommend replying to the list instead of replying directly. You
can
feature instead of "Reply."

On Wednesday 09 April 2008 10:47:02 am you wrote:
>>> my PC

> > Quoted from:
> >
> http://www.nabble.com/bits-news-from-the-users-of-Debian--tp16382579p165175
> >82.html
> >
> > I know, i agree with you.
> > It's only because after using Windows for many years, I loose trust on
> OS.
> > Linux is not Windows, I know that and I see this all days.
> >
> > The other problem :
> > it install bsd-mailx, exim4, mailx and other.
> > I don't like installing those kind of packet i must configure and that i
> > don't use. It's a family use, I don't have any utility of mail's server
> and
> > i don't want to take time to configure them and my firewall.

A mail subsystem is used on Linux whether or not you exchange mail with the
outside world. Now, if you don't exchange mail outside your site, that
would
be a good reason not to install popularity-contest. Ensuring everything is
properly configured is always going to be the administrator's responsibility
regardless of operating system; them's the breaks. Odds are there's a
private contractor willing to remotely manage your machines for you if
you're
unwilling or unable to do it yourself; http://debian.org/consultants/ would
be the best way to find one.

> > Is it possible
> > to make a popularity-contest package more simple to install without to
> > install mail server and who ask me if i am agree to send info each time
> and
> > no more than 1 times per month to send info to you ?

I'd like to make it clear that I am not a recipient of popcon reports, nor
am
I a Debian Developer working on that package; this would be a question
better
directed to someone who is working on that package or the Debian User list
proper.

> > Excuse me for asking that, I am not a professional user and perhaps it
> is
> > for that reason you don't have a lot of user who install and use it

Debian is among the oldest, most respected distributions out there because
it
isn't specialized: Debian's goal is to be the Universal Operating System.
It's not going to get there by handholding people, it's going to get there
by
providing the flexability to do almost anything anyone is going to throw at
it, and make it easy to adapt to fit more specialized needs.

> > (and what port on our firewall to open ?).

I'm afraid I don't understand the question, could you rephrase it?

-- Paul Johnson baloo@ursine.ca

Thank you for your mail :)
I was talking about popularity-contest package and ask if there was a port
to open on my firewall for that but perhaps it's a stupid question : it use
probably http port (already open).

I thought that the subject was to talk about us, explain our use of Debian
and if we use popularity-contest package it's why my answer was first, a
problem of trust on OS and second, to use it we must install other package
who aren't very easy to install and usefull for a family use (I like
Icedove, why using exim ? my system works without).

Sorry i have'nt a lot of time to discuss about philosophy on Debian : it's a
great operating system, I agree. I'm very happy with it, it's true. I don't
understand all my OS it's true and I don't want to spend my time to teach
about software I don't have the use. If i don't see a real utility of a
software, if i can i uninstall it.
Thanks for all your works ! It's great.
Bye :)

Lars Bjerregaard 04-11-2008 10:41 AM

bits/news from the users of Debian?

Hello,

I saw a link to your survey from LWN, and wanted to reply to it because of it's
friendly and inviting tone. I'm not subscribed to the list (but maybe I should
do that...).

I first touched a set of Linux diskettes around 1995, and have been dabbling
with it on and off since then, with increasing intensity. About 4 years ago, I
took the plunge and became a 100% Linux user on my home desktop, and I haven't
regretted it for a minute. I'm a professional systems developer, and do some
measure of system administration as well. I grew up in the world of DOS and
Windows, and so Unix was not my "entry by birth" into the world of computing. By
now I certainly am addicted to the 'Unix way', although I am forced to use
Windows at my work.

I keep track of all things Linux and FOSS intensively, and find that by far the
most interesting things in computing go on in this huge ecosystem. It is also
close to my heart in terms of philosophy and ethics.

I think during the years I've been trough most of the major distributions:
Redhat, Suse, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Debian, and a few others, and during the years of
experiments and playing around, I have come to know which things about a
distribution that *I* value, and put the highest emphasis on. My last full-time
desktop system was Ubuntu, through a few releases, but I came to realise that I
didn't really want to install a new release every 6 months, and it was sometimes
a bit too unstable for my taste, with too many unfixed bugs.

A year ago, I switched to Debian Etch full time on my desktop. At the same time
I realized I was becoming increasingly disappointed with Gnome, and so wanted to
check out if Linus is right, and switched to KDE. And boy do I agree! I love
KDE, and wouldn't switch for the world now.

What my personal preferences in a desktop system amounts to are:
- Highly stable
- Bugs quickly resolved
- New release about every 2 years
- Good hardware support
- A huge array of packages to choose from
- A rock solid and versatile package manager/system
- A window manager that doesn't get in my way, or tries to be smarter than me,
but allows me to easily just configure things the way *I* like it.

Those would be the mainpoints. So where I am now after all my travels, the Etch
+ KDE combination is what comes closest to fit that bill, and I enjoy it
tremendously. I've become picky over the years, and I really have to give big
kudos to the Debian team, for providing such an excellent system to us. Thank you!

Current annoyances with my desktop system are:
- With the current kernel the boot process freezes hard about every 15 boots on
average. The kernel update before that one froze hard the same way, roughly
every 5 boots. The kernels before that did not have a problem. I should probably
overcome my hesitation with the Debian bugzilla, and try and submit a good
bugreport.

- When X starts, there's a wait for 10 seconds, whilst my Dell monitor displays
"Cannot display this resolution", until it finally starts correctly. This was a
problem in Ubuntu as well, and after hours of xorg.conf tinkering I've given up,
and I just live with it.

- The Wine package is (IMHO) completely broken, and I use the one from winehq.

- There's an issue with having to get drupal5 from testing. It should at least
be in backports, if at all possible.

- Adept, which would be my preffered package manager on the desktop, does not
work when interactivity is required with the package install ("unable to display
frontend kde"). It displays a curses frontend which simply doesn't work on the
display. I've tried fixing it from various tips to no avail. So I use aptitude,
which is a very fine tool indeed.

- In aptitude, pressing 'C' should display the changelog for the package, but
only does so 1 out of 20 times. Otherwise it's 'unavailable'. Would be very nice
to have it always just work.

- I've set up bridging network (TUN,TAP) to facilitate host nic access in
VirtualBox machines. For some reason it takes the bridge about 10 seconds during
the boot process to acquire an IP address. Without the bridge there's no problem.

- Getting iceweasel and icedove to have working links and mailto: links was
manuel work. Shouldn't be necessary.

- Working sound required manual tinkering.

- In xorg.conf I had to change 'ati' driver to 'radeon' to get X going at first.

But I do have to say that I still love Debian. It takes a bit more manual
tinkering to get everything set up right, as compared to e.g. Ubuntu, but once
it's done, I get much more of that robust feeling, and things just work, day in
and day out, which is what I need from my primary home system.

The packages I use the most are:
- Iceweasel
- Icedove
- Krusader
- Wine
- Virtualbox
- K3b
- Vlc
- Kplayer
- OpenOffice

I do have the popularity-contest package installed, and install it on all Debian
installations which I'm in charge of.

Besides using Debian for my desktop system, I also run it on a couple of small
office servers which I administrate, and of course Debian is the perfect server
OS (but then you knew that). I intend to continue to deploy Debian servers
around the place, and to take the plunge and run it on a VPS, serving my mail
and other things. That will be fun.

By the way, I would love to have a seperate 'server' and 'desktop' cd for
Debian, optimized kernel and package selection for those 2 scenarios. I think
it's something Ubuntu gets right. Other wishes I have for Debian is to continue
to improve the ease-of-configuration on the desktop. Good GUI tools are a must,
and Ubuntu has a slight edge here. No doubt the desktop is by far the biggest
challenge in the OS world.

You are free to do with these comments of mine as you wish.
Again, thanks for Debian! It's a marvellous OS, with a bright future ahead I'm sure.

All the best,
Lars Bjerregaard

Goupil 04-12-2008 10:25 AM

Lars Bjerregaard wrote:

> [...]
> around the place, and to take the plunge and run it on a VPS, serving my
> mail
> and other things. That will be fun.
>
> By the way, I would love to have a seperate 'server' and 'desktop' cd for
> Debian, optimized kernel and package selection for those 2 scenarios. I
> think
> it's something Ubuntu gets right. Other wishes I have for Debian is to
> continue
> to improve the ease-of-configuration on the desktop. Good GUI tools are a
> must,
> and Ubuntu has a slight edge here. No doubt the desktop is by far the
> biggest
> challenge in the OS world.
>
> You are free to do with these comments of mine as you wish.
> Again, thanks for Debian! It's a marvellous OS, with a bright future ahead

OK :)
I'm completely agree with you. Nice and clever Post.

My personal best-of, and my personnal contribution to the community that
i'am proud to present here :) :
(you are sure that if i install a new disk, i install all those software)

I take that of my small software data base :

UTILITY & PLUG-IN :
alien (to convert game in RPM format to DEBian package)
configure-debian (easiest interface than dpkg fot configuring some package)
console-tools (for small font and on screen time when i exit of Xorg)
subversion (downloading source of a lot of games and other software, more
simple than cvs)
gkrellm (for a continuous display of the state of my system)
gparted et qtparted (i like the two, for formating hard disk or USB key)
gnu-fdisk (the same in curse)
gui-apt-key (for key for new repository)
hwinfo (for info to vesa mode and some other)
ippl (to choose what kind of info i wan't record on /var/log/syslog and then
display with Superkaramba)
Superkaramba (display Syslog, internet radio, a state of my system, a like
Mac OSX launch, a nice clock)
k3b (formating CD and converting some format)
kdirstat (nice plugin for Konqueror for displaying use of disk : right
clic>Open with KDirstat - Directory Statistics)
gdm and gdm-themes (the nicest and greatest interface for starting window
manager)
kdm kde-kdm-themes kdmtheme (i use it in case of broken gdm)
kommando (nice software, finally i don't use it a lot, i use F1 to F12 to
lauch my favorite software)
konqueror (the nicest and more powerfull file manager on the world, it's my
point of view :))
krename (for renaming all my photo with the good name and other work with
large number of file)
lha (sometimes for files, i don't use it a lot)
libqt-perl (to use dialog interface with perl script, usefull)
loop-aes-utils (powerfull and fantastic for crypting files or mounting CD
without to format a CD)
manpages-fr manpages-fr-extra (for french man page, "man:" in adress bar on
konqueror :)
pcopy (powerfull to copy a hard disk in one command, for example : pcopy
/dev/sda /dev/sdb)
picwiz (plug-in for konqueror to resize picture or group of picture by a
right clic)
pptview (for easy viewing of some fun stuff on Power Point format send by
friends :)
rdate (for taking the time on internet for my PC's clock : you must open TCP
3690 port on your firewall)
symlinks (some script use it)
unrar or unrar-free (for file on rar format)
usbmount (automaticaly mounting of usb key or camera)
wine (it works great for me on Debian Sid)
xfe (nice file manager but less powerfull than Konqueror, it's an
alternative)
xnest and xserver-xephyr (for starting easily another connexion)

INTERNET
Ktorrent (the greatest for some download)
amule amule-common amule-utils-gui (for some download)
epiphany-browser (nice browser but Iceweasel is great. Alternative)
iceweasel iceweasel-I10n-fr (with there plugin, the nicest and greatest
internet browser on the world :)
icedove icedove-locale-fr (like iceweasel but for mail :)
kget (powerfull for downloading a lot of file, you can stop and restart the
download)
kmess (nice for tchat on MSN but no video i think)
knmap nmap (for security testing of my firewall)
konversation (powerfull and nice for IRC)
kopete (the biggest for MSN because you can tchat with webcam. But i have
had a lot of problem to discuss with webcam with all that kind of software :
a lot of crash. Kopete like other)
amsn (powerfull but some bugs and Tcl/Tk is not the good choice for
interface : not nice. Qt or Gtk would be a better choice)
liferea (the biggest and easiest for news on RSS)
links2 (when Xorg crash, it's the only way to communicate and find info on
internet and you can still use it with a VGA graphic interface : nice and
powerfull)
pidgin (like kopete, a nice software)
wget (powerfull for downloading on curse mode on console)

COMPILATION
build-essential (for compilation of a kernel and build package)
g++ gcc cpp (for compilation)
kernel-package fakeroot (easiest way for compiling kernel)

libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-dev libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-dev libglade-2.0
libglade2-dev (for : "make gconfig" and configuring my kernel)
qt3-dev-tools libqt3-mt-dev g++ (for : "make xconfig" and configuring my
kernel. Alternative)

python python-numeric python-opengl python-pygame python-twisted (I love
game writen on python)
tcl8.4 tcl8.4-dev tk8.4 tk8.4-dev (for compiling aMSN)

DESK :
evince (for reading PDF. Konqueror can read pdf but evince is nice when you
associate it with PDF file and use it with Iceweasel)
gdeskcal (nice calendar)
gnumeric (nice and powerfull, like Excel on Windows. I prefer it to
OpenOffice because more closer of Excel and reliable).
kpresenter (i don't have the utility but it seems powerfull)
msttcorefonts linux-libertine (for truetype font)
myspell-fr-gut (french dictionnary use by OpenOffice and Icedove)

openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-l10n-fr
openoffice.org-help-fr penoffice.org-kde
openoffice.org-style-andromeda openoffice.org-style-crystal
openoffice.org-writer openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-draw
openoffice.org-impress
(the greatest alternative for Microsoft suite. I'am very happy with
openoffice.org-writer)

openclipart-openoffice.org openclipart-png openclipart-svg (free clipart for
all kind of use :)
scribus (i don't use it today but i know it's great)

NETWORK
Great great great great (the only word it comes to my mouth :)) :
Exchange files with all of your PC on linux :
nfs-kernel-server (you must install it on the PC which will be the server)
nfs-common portmap (you must install those on the PC which will be the
client AND on the server)

HARDWARE
camorama camstream (my webcam : to see if it works :)
jpilot jpilot-* (my PDA : the easiest software to use it)
kino kino-brightness-contrast-plugin kino-hsv-color-space-plugin (great for
my numerical camera with it's IEEE1394 interface)
kdenlive (like kino to make some process on my personal movie)
mjpegtools dvgrab (powerfull plugin for kino, kdenlive and other)
mesa-utils (for glxgears and glxinfo : for testing if the 3D acceleration of
my graphics card works)
pwc (for my Logitech Quickcam webcam)
sane sane-utils xsane (powerfull for my Epson 3490 photo scanner)
splix (for my Samsung CLP 500 laser color printer)
xserver-xorg-input-wacom wacom-tools libxtst-dev (for my wacom intuos 3
tablet)
xserver-xorg-video-i810 (for one of my PC : a SAMSUNG Q35 with it's Intel
card : all packet must work like it !! A packet to install and you have 3D
accelerated graphic on your PC : Great !)

DRAWING
dia-gnome (vectorial drawing : nice)
Inkscape (the nicest and powerfull for vectorial drawing)
xaralx xaralx-svg (another powerfull software for vectorial drawing)
gimp gimp-help-fr (the reference for all type of drawing)
krita (the nicest. Less powerfull than gimp but easiest to use and
powerfull)
gwenview (I use it all the time : a photo viewer and browser)
kipi-plugins (powerfull plugin for gwenview and other)

SOUND
audacity (great great great for modifying sound and make fun stuff)
icedax (to convert your musical CD to WAV)
krecord (to record sound)
kwave (to manipulate WAV file)
lame toolame twolame (great codec to manipulate sound)
soundconverter gstreamer0.10-lame (to convert sound on some format : ogg,
wav, flac, mp3)
ripperx (interface for ripping CD. I like it)
rosengarden4 (i don't have the use but i know it's powerfull)
audacious audacious-crossfade audacious-plugins audacious-plugins-extra
audacious-plugins-ugly (a nice and powerfull player)
amarok (nice and powerfull but i don't use it : too big for me)
sox (provide /usr/bin/play for having sound on gdm)

VIDEO
ffmpeg libavifile-0.7c2 libdvdcss2 mjpegtools mpeglib toolame twolame (MUST
have codec to read video on my PC)
w32codecs : DO NOT INSTALL (a lot of problem with it for me : shacking
screen, ...)
vlc (the most powerfull video player : a MUST have : when other are broken,
it's the only player which work)
mplayer (powerfull : and it install some other codec, a MUST have)
totem totem-mozilla totem-xine (The first for me ... when it works :)). A
video player. I love it)
xine (very powerfull software to read video, a MUST have)
gxine gxineplugin (front end for Xine : nice, i use it)
kmplayer kmplayer-plugin (front end for Xine : nice, i use it also)
k9copy (i don't use but i know it's powerfull, like DVDShrink on windows :
DVD -> MPEG)
kaffeine kaffeine-mozilla (powerfull but i don't use : too big for me)
kdenlive (see HARDWARE).
kino (see HARDWARE).

NICE STUFF
chameleon-cursor-theme comixcursors crystalcursors dmz-cursor-theme
industrial-cursor-theme xcursor-themes (to change the cursor of my mouse).
gnome-themes-extras (nice fonts for all the OS)
gtk-engines* (nice themes for gnome)
gtk-qt-engine (for having the same look of KDE's software for gnome software
on KDE)
kde-icons* *-icon-theme (for nice icons for my desktop. I love Tangerine and
kde-icons-crystal)
polymer kde-style* kwin-style* (nice windows on KDE. I love serenity,
kwin-style-crystal and kwin-baghira)
oneko (a small cats play on your desktop. on a console type : "oneko
-tofocus -dog &")

The list is big and you said : he don't use all of those software :))
My point of view : i install all this list because :
all are free, some software are powerfull or usefull for some kind of use
and not for other. I love the choice.
That's all folks :)

Thanks for your job : i love it !
Bye

Goupil 04-14-2008 06:46 AM

Goupil wrote:

> [...]
> chameleon-cursor-theme comixcursors crystalcursors dmz-cursor-theme
> industrial-cursor-theme xcursor-themes (to change the cursor of my mouse).
> gnome-themes-extras (nice fonts for all the OS)
> gtk-engines* (nice themes for gnome)
> gtk-qt-engine (for having the same look of KDE's software for gnome
> software on KDE)
> kde-icons* *-icon-theme (for nice icons for my desktop. I love Tangerine
> and kde-icons-crystal)
> polymer kde-style* kwin-style* (nice windows on KDE. I love serenity,
> kwin-style-crystal and kwin-baghira)
> oneko (a small cats play on your desktop. on a console type : "oneko
> -tofocus -dog &")
>
> The list is big and you said : he don't use all of those software :))
> My point of view : i install all this list because :
> all are free, some software are powerfull or usefull for some kind of use

Today i think of my mail, read it another time and find it very pretentious.
Excuse me for it's sound. "I fall into the net" (I'm not sure of the
translation) :
Proudness and pretentiousness aren't very distant :(.

Goupil 04-15-2008 08:59 AM

Goupil wrote:

> [...]
>> and kde-icons-crystal)
>> polymer kde-style* kwin-style* (nice windows on KDE. I love serenity,
>> kwin-style-crystal and kwin-baghira)
>> oneko (a small cats play on your desktop. on a console type : "oneko
>> -tofocus -dog &")
>>
>> The list is big and you said : he don't use all of those software :))
>> My point of view : i install all this list because :
>> all are free, some software are powerfull or usefull for some kind of use
>> and not for other. I love the choice.
>> That's all folks :)
>>
>> Thanks for your job : i love it !
>> Bye
>>

> Today i think of my mail, read it another time and find it very
> pretentious.
> Excuse me for it's sound. "I fall into the net" (I'm not sure of the
> translation) :
> Proudness and pretentiousness aren't very distant :(.

Some philosophy :)
World and computer are more and more complicated : the two are associated.

On Linux's world i have beginning with Debian because 5 or 6 years ago (i
don't remember) it was the only one i know it was free of charge. I had
trying to install it a lot of time but the problem was to configure my SAGEM
Fast 800 modem. All those files to configure : by what to begin, what to
configure and where ? Too complicated ... So : bye bye Debian, hello
Mandrake :)

1 or 2 years after : Mandrake globally works but there is a lot of things i
don't understand. What are those daemon (daemon, devil : it's russian for a
newbie who come's from Windows world. There is also daemon on Windows but i
didn't know). And i had an ATI graphic card and i was unable to install 3D
accelerated graphics on Mandrake, then NO great games : an OS without any
nice games who works ... too difficult :)).
So : bye bye Mandrake, we try another thing : it's a question of life or
death :))

Ok, ok, it's me ... i come again ! I wan't to be free with my PC, i spend
money for it since ten years and i don't wan't that's him who command me
(that was my feeling with Windows). Let's trying to work each other with : i
have more knowledge, perhaps it's possible and i have time (i had the chance
to have one PC - the oldest - with Mandrake and internet and the other one
with Debian).
Test, test and test, install after install. Reading (not writing, there is
so information that's not necessary) a lot on internet : thanks to all for
your time and competence !
And ...... modem works !!!! yes : the first challenge is a successfull : the
best stimulation to continue.
And ...... 3D acceleration works : the consecration for all this works. It's
the second more important things that make me keeping Debian at this time.

The rest is more simple, not important and comes naturally days after days.

So my own experience give me some idea and some feelings.
Sorry there is a lot of time i have not installing another Debian's box (i
have had my count on installing OS and Debian is too reliable :)) and
certainly a lot of idea i give below is already use. I have seen graphics
debian installer on magazine and i find it a very good idea, it looks very
nice and usefull.

First of all for me, OS must be simple to install and to use.
The best example i have found is gdm.
I use it since the beginning because it's nice. The reason is stupid but
it's like that :).
Before some month ago i don't find it very reliable : when i configure it on
it's own interface sometimes it reset (the only way : configure it with
gdmsetup on a console on root).
Today it seems to be reliable and i find it great.
I think it's an example to continue to follow for Debian and other.
I explain me :
there is a nice interface (Gtk ?), simple to use and very clear.
When you fly your mouse cursor over options : small help but clear.
Options are classify by theme on different tab : nice, simple, clear.
And for more hard option you still have /etc/gdm/gdm.conf (the Debian way is
preserved :).
Simplenest way is always the best.
Gdm interface is the way to follow for Debian i think.

For keeping newbie on Debian : help them.
A working Modem and 3D accelerated graphics is very important for all.

Use the installer to guide newbie for installing most frequent modem and on
all case, if it's not possible for some modem, an unique adress (Debian's
site for example :) where to find all information and material in an easy
way.
Example of site : a kind of internet page where you have box to choose the
model of your modem, the country, ... and then it provide the material
(driver and firmware to copy on /lib/firmware/) and parameter or in all
case, give you where to find them.
The example of CUPS is good i think :
http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi.

Use the same way and presentation for all (important and common) device :
modem, graphics card (less choice for graphics card that's sure but
providing same kind of easy help is necessary i think), printer (it's
already the case) and scanner.

I think if i have had this kind of help, i wouldn't go to see elsewhere :).
Hope this will be usefull for some other.

Goupil 04-15-2008 09:20 AM

Goupil wrote:

> [...]
> (Debian's site for example :) where to find all information and material
> in an easy way.
> Example of site : a kind of internet page where you have box to choose the
> model of your modem, the country, ... and then it provide the material
> (driver and firmware to copy on /lib/firmware/) and parameter or in all
> case, give you where to find them.
> The example of CUPS is good i think :
> http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi.
>
> Use the same way and presentation for all (important and common) device :
> modem, graphics card (less choice for graphics card that's sure but
> providing same kind of easy help is necessary i think), printer (it's
> already the case) and scanner.
>
> I think if i have had this kind of help, i wouldn't go to see elsewhere
> :).
> Hope this will be usefull for some other.

Just another thing i wan't to say : configure-debian is a good software
I like it better if you can add some mouse cursor help on the fly and tabs
instead of separate menu and options. Continue, i think you are on the good
way :)
Thanks

Peter Hugosson-Miller 04-15-2008 10:29 AM

bits/news from the users of Debian?

I've been using Linux since about the tail end of 1996, starting with
Debian (maybe it was "rex" at that time?) I've dabbled with many other
distributions since then, most notably Suze, Red Hat, and Knoppix, but
have always returned to Debian for its stability and ease of maintenance.

Here at work we have one single Linux installation in a sea of Windoze:
a PC running Debian "woody", and housing our Oracle database for testing
purposes. Prior to our migration to Linux it had existed in various
Windoze incarnations: NT4, Win2K and WinXP, but these were plagued by
instabilities and downtime, so on a whim my boss decided to allow me to
make a Linux box instead. Since it was started in January 2005 it has
been running continuously with *no* downtime or problems of any kind.
Talk about value for money!

At home my latest installation is also "woody", but the box on which it
is sitting is currently suffering from a faulty disk, and I haven't
found/made the time to replace it. Instead, my wife bought a Mac (iMac
G5), running OSX "tiger" (which seems to be just another Linux flavour),
with which we have never had any problems whatsoever. It has plenty of
capacity for both of us, and I feel right at home with it (even managed
to get the GIMP running on it!).

If I had any comments or suggestions on how to improve Linux/Debian, it
would be the sound. Despite running Debian exclusively at home for over
10 years, I never managed to get the sound working properly, except on
those occasions when I booted from a Knoppix live CD (regulars on
debian-user might remember my eternal frustrated threads about it). So
whatever it is that Knoppix does when it is detecting/configuring the
sound card (with no input from me!), I think that Debian should be doing
the same thing.

Other than that (minor) point, I would like to say: "keep up the great
work!" When I buy my next PC it will be running Debian for sure.

--
Cheers,
Peter Hugosson-Miller

This email has been scanned by the DefenderSoft Email Threat Protection.
For more information please visit www.emailthreatcenter.com

Chris Davies 04-16-2008 11:35 AM

Peter Hugosson-Miller <PHugosson-Miller@cdcsoftware.com> wrote:
> Here at work we have one single Linux installation in a sea of Windoze:
> a PC running Debian "woody" [...]

> At home my latest installation is also "woody" [...]

Woody's pretty old now. But I guess you know that.

You might want to step forwards through Sarge to Etch. FWIW I run Lenny
(testing) on my production boxes and so far it has been rock solid.

> If I had any comments or suggestions on how to improve Linux/Debian, it
> would be the sound. Despite running Debian exclusively at home for over
> 10 years, I never managed to get the sound working properly [...]

Jumping forward to a more current version of debian might well help with
the sound problems, especially as you say that the Knoppix Live CD gets
it right.

Chris