Old 04-22-2008, 11:52 AM
"Alexandru Popa"

Default bits/news from the users of Debian?

Hello,
*
After I read this*post I decided to share one idea with you. It seems to be related to debconf.
*
The Debian operating system is known*for lack of nice-looking all-in-one configuration tool. Instead, it has the best existing package-level debconf. All you need is to type:
*
# dpkg-reconfigure <package-name>
*
This helps in majority of cases. But it isn't efficient if you are a Debian newbee or doesn't know the packege name you*want to*reconfigure. The solution:
*
# dpkg-reconfigure -a
*
isn't efficient for these cases.
*
It would be nice to write a simple text/gui based front-end for debconf that scans all installed and configurable pachages (taking track on the debconf severity selected) and lists them, eventually with some tips about what this pachage is about. If one selects a package from the list and presses "Reconfigure", the tool lanches dpkg-reconfigure with the selected pachage in a regular way.

*
I think this tool is easy to implement and increase drastically the popularity of the Debian operating system.
*
Best regards,
Alexandru

Old 04-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Robert Walter

Old 04-22-2008, 01:39 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

"Alexandru Popa" <alpopa@gmail.com> said:
> It would be nice to write a simple text/gui based front-end for
> debconf

configure-debian

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 04-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Goupil

Cybe R. Wizard-3 wrote:

> "Alexandru Popa" <alpopa@gmail.com> said:
>> It would be nice to write a simple text/gui based front-end for
>> debconf
>
> configure-debian
>
> Cybe R. Wizard
> --
> Nice computers don't go down.
> Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
> "The Barsoom Project"

Debian is a great system,
i think it just lack of a sexy interface (with a nice icon to copy on the
desktop like the other distributions.
You could start with a nicer configure-debian interface with tabs and nice
icons.
Then eventually add other buttons for accessing Synaptic (another tabs to
specify what kind of package manager you have decided to use), another tabs
and you could see the contents of /var/log/syslog and other usefull log
files, a button for launching gnome-system-monitor, another button and you
reach user's utility like kuser, ... all those utility sort with tabs.
This kind of interface could help newbie and could be a nice and fast access
link for many usefull utility for the other .

For Synaptic i post the message below 4 times (but they return my mail each
time, not on the good place, i abandon, perhaps someone could make that job
for me ?) :
My idea :
> 1. Is it possible to integrate a button directly on Synaptic that find
> and take key for a new repository ?
> 2. Is it possible to integrate only for game, a small thumbnail that
> permit to preview it before installing ?
> 3. When i'm searching for a kind of software, i click on the button
> and select a filter : that's Ok. But when i install a software
> Synaptic loose this filter each time and i must select another time
> the same filter. Is it possible to modify Synaptic for keeping the
> filter until i quit ?
> 4. could you create another filter for separating important packet
> (using priority field) which are available for upgrading from the other ?
> 5. could you create a filter that permit to see the new packet in the
> user's installation for the next 3 month ? (Synaptic could creating a
> kind of cookie that permit for each installation (of Synaptic) seeing
> what are the new packet available for last 3 month : it will be
> usefull for me for example seeing new available games)
>>
> Thanks

Serge Le Tyrant.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:59 AM
Jack Dodds

Paul,

Here are some answers from a Debian user.

- What are you using Debian for?

My family computer runs Debian. I started with Woody, upgraded (well,
reinstalled, actually), and then upgraded (really) to etch.

Our system has two "seats". The main seat has three virtual terminals.
All the terminals are running Gnome. So each family member only has to
hit <Ctrl><Alt>F8 (or whatever) to be instantly in his/her desktop.
Much better than the Gnome "switch user" feature. If the main seat is
already occupied, he or she can sign on at the second seat. This works
really well (on a 1.8 GHz, 768 MB Pentium, yet), with performance issues
occurring only when streaming video and sometimes audio.

- Why are you using Debian rather than RHEL/Fedora/CentOS, Gentoo,
Ubuntu, MacOS or Windows (or the other way around)?

1. I am curious to see what I gain and what I lose by limiting myself
strictly to FOSS software. This is a kind of sociological question,
which translates more generally into the philosophical question, can
advanced human civilization exist in the absence of enterprises driven
by self-interest and the profit motive?

2. I believe that a computer system cannot be secure if the source code
is not available for inspection.

- What about Debian do you think needs changing - do you have any
specific gripes?

In hours per day, the biggest function of our Debian system is to access
the Internet. The absence of a FOSS implementation of Flash is a huge
gap. I have installed the closed source Flash 9 player and Firefox
plugin on some of the family user IDs. Without it I would face a
revolt. I don't use it (see the previous question) which is a
handicap. So, we need Flash - frequently updated!

It seems to me that more people would use a multiseat configuration if
it were easy to set up. My own family situation can't be unique! In
Sarge, I had to do some patching and recompiling to support the "two
seat" configuration. In Etch, it can be done with configuration files
only. But it's not easy, and there are some serious rough edges. e.g.
the nv driver (open source nvidia) does not do the two seat thing
properly, and the character mode virtual terminals (F1, F2, ... ) don't
work. More precisely, the keyboard works, but the screen remains
blank. Also, Gnome pops up Nautilus windows on ALL the active virtual
terminals when a device (CD-ROM, USB) is mounted. Then they stay active
when it is dismounted. I could probably think of a few more.

Sound could be better. I think ALSA can be configured to mix inputs from
multiple sources simultaneously, but I have not figured out how to do
it. So (especially with my two seat configuration) sound sometimes
does not work for one program because another program is using the sound
driver. How about having Debian install a default configuration that
would work out the wrinkles in this?

Hope this is of interest.

This email is digitally signed using the Enigmail
and GnuPG packages (http://enigmail.mozdev.org),
which can also be used by the recipient to verify
the digital signature.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Chris Bannister

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 09:59:08PM -0400, Jack Dodds wrote:
> In hours per day, the biggest function of our Debian system is to access
> the Internet. The absence of a FOSS implementation of Flash is a huge
> gap. I have installed the closed source Flash 9 player and Firefox
> plugin on some of the family user IDs. Without it I would face a
> revolt. I don't use it (see the previous question) which is a
> handicap. So, we need Flash - frequently updated!

flashplugin-nonfree is available from http://www.backports.org. An
"apt-cache search flash | less" reveals there are also "free"
implementations available, although I personally haven't tried any of
them.

> This email is digitally signed using the Enigmail
> and GnuPG packages (http://enigmail.mozdev.org),
> which can also be used by the recipient to verify
> the digital signature.

Interesting, normally mutt doesn't render the sig correctly when signed
with enigmail but in this case it does.

--
Chris.
======

Old 05-29-2008, 01:56 AM
Joseph Neal

> If you are using Debian on your phone, embedded computer, laptop,
> desktop, server, network, telecommunications equipment or other part of
> your information infrastructure, I'd love to hear from you.

> What are you using Debian for?

I'm presently running sid on two desktops and etch on a small VPS based server
hosting a wiki and messageboard.

> uninteresting to you, but... What cool package(s) are you using? Did you
> buy a beverage for a Debian contributor at DebConf? Are you using
> packages from a general area of Debian (science, games, development,
> servers)? What about Debian do you think needs changing - do you have
> any specific gripes? Is there a specific package that needs to be
> maintained better? Do you have the popularity-contest package installed
> and working? If not, why not?

I've settled in as a KDE user over the past few years. I just finished
checking out the 4.1 beta live CD and I'm NOT impressed. I really hope that
debian decides to ship Lenny with 3.5.x so I can switch to that and keep my
desktop as it is for a few more years.

The situation with rdiff-backup has been annoying but I'm not sure it could
have been avoided.

I have popcon running on all boxes.
> Are you missing certain packages that are
> not available in Debian, were removed from Debian or are not available
> in the last stable release (etch)? Why are you using Debian rather than
> RHEL/Fedora/CentOS, Gentoo, Ubuntu, MacOS or Windows (or the other way
> around)? Are you making a living using or customising or deploying
> Debian? What are your plans for using Debian in the future? Did your
> Debian wishlist for 2007 come true? What is your Debian wishlist for
> 2008? What does Debian mean to you? In what ways do you or do you intend
> to contribute to Debian and free software in general? How can we help
> you to contribute to Debian or free software in general?

I started dual booting slackware on my desktop in the mid 90s and switched
over to debian when slackware dropped gnome. I gave Ubuntu a try somewhere
around Dapper and was not impressed.

I like debain because:
1. It's rock solid and secure
2. The (mostly) uncompromising commitment to software freedom.

I am somewhat bothered by the recent SSL debacle. I can't help but wonder if
the rushed manner in which Etch was pushed out the door is partially to
blame. I really don't care about the speed of releases and would prefer that
as much time as needed be given to a release to get it right the first time.
I run sid on the desktop and 2-3 years is more often than I'd really like to
upgrade a server anyway.

I'd really like to see code audits of critical packages. If OpenBSD can do it
with a fraction of debian's manpower, debian should be able to as well.

I think putting patches on the web for review would be a good idea. Putting
them in a directory of the source package does no good for upstreams and
other interested parties who are not running debian. How is somebody on a
Windows box supposed to get the patches out of a .deb?

Something based on this perhaps?

http://www.review-board.org/

I've noticed that the traffic on debian mailing lists has dramatically
decreased. I'm assuming this is because developer discussions have more or
less moved to irc. There are two fairly minor problems here.

1. This is a disservice to users running sid as mailing list discussions often
provide a heads up to impending breakage.
2. Since there is no record of the irc discussions, this shift seems to go
against the grain of debian's commitment to openness.

Doing as ubuntu has done and putting logs of the main debian irc channels on
the web would solve both of these problems.

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/

Grepping logs of old discussions is also often easier and faster than hanging
out on irc until you can a question answered.

I'm a huge fan of the rougelike genere and there are some classic ones which
are not in debian. I'll take a crack at packaging a couple sooner or later.
I'm unsure if my extremely limited C skills will be enough to get 10-15 year
old code to compile with a modern gcc on all the architectures debian
supports though.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hello Paul and *,

Unfortunately I have found your message very late...

Let us begin:

Am 2008-03-30 21:51:14, schrieb Paul Wise:
> If you are using Debian on your phone, embedded computer, laptop,
> desktop, server, network, telecommunications equipment or other part of
> your information infrastructure, I'd love to hear from you.

I am using Debian

ARM
===
1) on a selfmade table PC which is currently ARM1136 based but will
switch to ARM1176 based one with 600MHz from Freescale or Samsung.
2) on 4 embedded System using the NXP LH7A4xx (ARM922T based) which
control my Toaster, my Bakeoven, a Solarcharger and a 24V DC Power-
Distribution Systel

SPARC
=====
1) eigth SS10/512
2) three SS20
3) one U20

i386
====
1) Workstat.: VIA EPIA LN10000EAG
2) Laptop 1: IBM ThinkPad 570 (with working Lucen WinModem)
3) Laptop 2: Acer Aspire 1350

Servers running on VIA EPIA LN10000EAG with 1GByte of memory:
4) Server 1: <samba3.private> nfs-kernel-server, apache2, php5
5) Server 2: <mail.private> courier, procmail, fetchmail,
spamassassin, clamav-ng
6) Server 3: <pgsql.private> postgresql
7) Server 4: <router.private> POT, ISDN, ADSL, SDSL, SkyDSL,
GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA
8) Server 5: <lpd.private> cups
9) Server 6: <syslog.private> syslog-ng
10) Server 7: <vserver1> apache2, php5,

amd64
=====
1) Develstat.: Dual Opteron 280 Running Xen with Sarge, Etch,
Lenny and Sid

> When replying, tell me anything you want to, but if you can't think of
> anything, here are some ideas to get you started:
>
> What are you using Debian for?

Office, Server, Development

> Do you have a project (big or small) made with Debian you'd like to show
> off? Even if you think its trivial or uninteresting, we want to hear
> about it! Using Debian for keeping track of your socks might seem
> uninteresting to you, but...

Since end of 2007 I am switchingmore or less back to my "Electronic
Engineer" and develop hardware which does not need ANY proprietary
software.

My OWN requirement is: "Developing Hardware which fit the DFSG."

No Software outside of "main" required since all my own software is
under GNU GPL version 3.

> What cool package(s) are you using? Did you
> buy a beverage for a Debian contributor at DebConf? Are you using
> packages from a general area of Debian (science, games, development,
> servers)? What about Debian do you think needs changing - do you have
> any specific gripes?
In the last years Debian tend to support mor in more Gnome and KDE apps
and droping support for Non-Bloat-Ware installations which make Debian
more in more uninstallable without recompiling tonns of packages.

> Is there a specific package that needs to be
> maintained better?

One of the packages is "gksu" which now (since Etch) sucks OVER 50 MByte
of useless packages.

> Do you have the popularity-contest package installed
> and working? If not, why not?

Yes on all of my machines... Since I build my OWN Debian-Install-CDs
with only Packages I use (arround 1056 total plus -dev packages) it is a
"must". to get my own packages pushed into "lower" CD-Numbers... ;-)

Note: I have Build three 650 MByte CD's for ARM, i386 and amd64 and
all three CD's have left many space for further packages...

But I have my OWN Debian mirror @home and normaly use only the
Debian-Net-Install-CD.

> Are you missing certain packages that are
> not available in Debian, were removed from Debian or are not available
> in the last stable release (etch)? Why are you using Debian rather than
> RHEL/Fedora/CentOS, Gentoo, Ubuntu, MacOS or Windows (or the other way
> around)?

DFSG !!!

Note 1: Several times I have complaint about missing documentation and
forgotten, I do not use "contrib" and "non-free". ;-)

Note 2: I am rewriting (since two years) "bash-doc"...

> Are you making a living using or customising or deploying
> Debian?

Yes, I am Debian GNU/Linux Consultant in Strasbourg and Linux-Developer.

> What are your plans for using Debian in the future?

Make it better. After geting a new Appartement or something like this
I will continue to work on my own software and enhancements and like to
see some of it in Debian and of course, becoming a "Debian Maintainer"
at least for my own packages...

> Did your
> Debian wishlist for 2007 come true?

Yesno...

Yes: Debian is better then before
No: Debian force users to much into bloatware (KDE/GNOME)
which IS GOOD for BEGINNERS but not professionels...

> What is your Debian wishlist for
> 2008?

Building Dual-Packages

1) <package>
2) <package>-bloatwaresupport

e.g.

1) gksu
2) gksu-gnome

> What does Debian mean to you?

Mostly: "Freedom total"

> In what ways do you or do you intend
> to contribute to Debian and free software in general?

1) Coding Add-Ons/Plugins
2) create enhancements to existing software.
3) write documentations which fir the DFSG. (e.g. bash-doc)

> How can we help
> you to contribute to Debian or free software in general?

Hmmm...

> In your replies, please indicate which parts are for debconf, d-d-a or
> d-p. Please also indicate if you would like to remain anonymous, want
> your comments attributed to you or don't care either way.

You can use my full name and e-Mail address freely and the whole
contents of the message...

> I'll read all
> public and private replies and make summaries for d-d-a and d-p.
> Depending on the number of replies and my "real life" situation, it
> might take a while to write up, so please be patient.
>
> I'm unfortunately monolingual, so if you would like to translate this
> mail to your language and translate replies from users to English and
> send them to me, please feel free to post it to the non-English user
> lists/forums.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi

Old 06-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Michelle Konzack

> [...]

forgotten, I do not use "contrib" and "non-free". ;-)

Note 2: I am rewriting (since two years) "bash-doc"...

> Are you making a living using or customising or deploying
> Debian?

Yes, I am Debian GNU/Linux Consultant in Strasbourg and Linux-Developer.

> What are your plans for using Debian in the future?

Make it better. After geting a new Appartement or something like this
I will continue to work on my own software and enhancements and like to
see some of it in Debian and of course, becoming a "Debian Maintainer"
at least for my own packages...

> Did your
> Debian wishlist for 2007 come true?

Yesno...

Yes: Debian is better then before
No: Debian force users to much into bloatware (KDE/GNOME)
which IS GOOD for BEGINNERS but not professionels...

Mostly: "Freedom total"