Old 03-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Alex Hutton

Default I accidentally installed lenny's linux-image/linux-header packages and I'm running Squeeze. What to do?

Hello,

Basically what happened was I did sudo aptitude update && sudo
aptitude upgrade and I hit 'Y' to accept the packages being installed.
Only afterwards did I realise it would be installing packages from
Lenny. I tried to hit ctrl-c and ctrl-d to abort aptitude but this
didn't seem to work.

To give more information, I am running Squeeze amd64. I have not
rebooted since these packages were installed.

In my /etc/apt/sources.list I had Lenny repositories on lines below
the Squeeze lines. I had done this a while ago on the advice on some
webpage. I believe the idea was that if a package wasn't found in
Squeeze, aptitude would fall back to the Lenny repositories. So
packages from Lenny would only be used if those packages were not
found in Squeeze. There was a particular package I wanted from Lenny
at the time and this seemed like a reasonable way to install it (I do
not remember what that package was).

Assuming the advice about multiple repositories in sources.list was
correct, I wonder why the linux-image packages were installed from
Lenny? I think it may be because the Squeeze amd64 repository was for
some reason (perhaps my mirror dropped it?) not accessible (when
update was run, it gave Err on that line), so the Lenny repositories
were considered the most relevant by aptitude. This is only a guess,
without really knowing how it is supposed to work.

I have tried to rectify the situation by commenting out the Lenny
lines in sources.list , adding additional Squeeze lines to
sources.list (to remedy the potential of the first mirror being down),
then doing aptitude update and aptitude upgrade. I have also performed
aptitude reinstall linux-image-amd64 . I do not think anything was
installed because I did not see aptitude do anything after it had
grabbed and unpacked the packages.

Here is the output of a few commands to show you the current state of my system:

$ cat /var/log/dpkg.log* | grep "linux-" |grep " installed" |sort
2012-03-22 19:36:00 status installed linux-image-2.6.26-2-amd64 2.6.26-29
2012-03-22 19:36:08 status installed linux-headers-2.6.26-2-amd64 2.6.26-29
2012-03-22 19:36:08 status installed linux-headers-2.6.26-2-common 2.6.26-29
2012-03-22 20:46:54 status installed linux-image-amd64 2.6.32+29

$ aptitude search linux-headers |grep '^i'
i A linux-headers-2.6-amd64 - Header files for Linux amd64 configuration
i A linux-headers-2.6.26-2-amd64 - Header files for Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64
i A linux-headers-2.6.26-2-common - Common header files for Linux 2.6.26-2
i A linux-headers-2.6.32-5-amd64 - Header files for Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64
i A linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common - Common header files for Linux 2.6.32-5

$ aptitude search linux-image |grep '^i'
i linux-image-2.6.26-2-amd64 - Linux 2.6.26 image on AMD64
i A linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 - Linux 2.6.32 for 64-bit PCs
i linux-image-amd64 - Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)

$ uname -mrs
Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 x86_64

Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Alex

Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 23/03/12 20:54, Alex Hutton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Basically what happened was I did sudo aptitude update && sudo
> aptitude upgrade and I hit 'Y' to accept the packages being installed.
> Only afterwards did I realise it would be installing packages from
> Lenny. I tried to hit ctrl-c and ctrl-d to abort aptitude but this
> didn't seem to work.

No worries. It's fixable.

> To give more information, I am running Squeeze amd64. I have not
> rebooted since these packages were installed.

<snipped>

If, for some good reason, you need a package from an older release -
just download that package and it's dependancies.
If you want packages from a later release - try backports before mixing
repositories, and if you do mix repositories, use pinning.

> Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated!

Please post the output of:-
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
$ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d
$ ls /etc/apt/preferences.d

It should be a matter of simply fixing your sources.list, updating dpkg,
checking the fixes, fixing, and a bit of a tidy.

> Thanks,
> Alex

Kind regards

answers to Debian questions:-

Old 03-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Freitag, 23. März 2012 schrieb Alex Hutton:
> Hello,

Hi Alex,

> Basically what happened was I did sudo aptitude update && sudo
> aptitude upgrade and I hit 'Y' to accept the packages being installed.
> Only afterwards did I realise it would be installing packages from
> Lenny. I tried to hit ctrl-c and ctrl-d to abort aptitude but this
> didn't seem to work.
>
> To give more information, I am running Squeeze amd64. I have not
> rebooted since these packages were installed.
>
> In my /etc/apt/sources.list I had Lenny repositories on lines below
> the Squeeze lines. I had done this a while ago on the advice on some
> webpage. I believe the idea was that if a package wasn't found in
> Squeeze, aptitude would fall back to the Lenny repositories. So
> packages from Lenny would only be used if those packages were not
> found in Squeeze. There was a particular package I wanted from Lenny
> at the time and this seemed like a reasonable way to install it (I do
> not remember what that package was).
[…]
> I have tried to rectify the situation by commenting out the Lenny
> lines in sources.list , adding additional Squeeze lines to
> sources.list (to remedy the potential of the first mirror being down),
> then doing aptitude update and aptitude upgrade. I have also performed
> aptitude reinstall linux-image-amd64 . I do not think anything was
> installed because I did not see aptitude do anything after it had
> grabbed and unpacked the packages.

I bet thats because the Squeeze kernel is still installed. Several kernels
can be installed beside each other. But read on.

> Here is the output of a few commands to show you the current state of
> my system:
>
> $ cat /var/log/dpkg.log* | grep "linux-" |grep " installed" |sort
[…]
> $ aptitude search linux-headers |grep '^i'
> i A linux-headers-2.6-amd64 - Header files for Linux amd64
[…]
> $ aptitude search linux-image |grep '^i'
> i linux-image-2.6.26-2-amd64 - Linux 2.6.26 image on AMD64
> i A linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 - Linux 2.6.32 for 64-bit PCs
> i linux-image-amd64 - Linux for 64-bit PCs
> (meta-package)
>
> $ uname -mrs
> Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 x86_64

These do not show the exact current state of the system. While dpkg.log
shows what has been installed recently, it doesn´t tell at a short glance,
whether the Squeeze kernel is still installed. And apitude search will
also find packages which are not installed.

apt-get or aptitude install linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 should give to the
Squeeze kernel back in case it is removed.

But please check first with

dpkg -l | grep linux-image

ls -l /boot

whether the 2.6.32 kernel is still installed. I bet it is and then you do
not have a problem at all. Having both a Lenny and a Squeeze kernel
installed is the usual situation after an upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze.

update-grub should be intelligent enough to put the most recent one on
top. You can check this, by running it again or by viewing
/boot/grub/grub.cfg oder menu.lst in case you still use GRUB 1.

When you have verified that the Squeeze kernel is still installed and you
can boot from it, you can remove the Lenny kernel - or keep it as an
alternate kernel, cause Squeeze may still be able to boot from it in case
the Squeeze kernel is damaged by something. I like to have two kernel
versions installed in case one of it ever gets broken by an update or so.

Ciao,

Old 03-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Alex Hutton

On 24 March 2012 04:25, Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
[…]
> I bet thats because the Squeeze kernel is still installed. Several kernels
> can be installed beside each other. But read on.
[…]
> These do not show the exact current state of the system. While dpkg.log
> shows what has been installed recently, it doesn´t tell at a short glance,
> whether the Squeeze kernel is still installed. And apitude search will
> also find packages which are not installed.
>
> apt-get or aptitude install linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 should give to the
> Squeeze kernel back in case it is removed.
>
> But please check first with
>
> dpkg -l | grep linux-image
>
> ls -l /boot
>
> whether the 2.6.32 kernel is still installed. I bet it is and then you do
> not have a problem at all. Having both a Lenny and a Squeeze kernel
> installed is the usual situation after an upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze.
>
> update-grub should be intelligent enough to put the most recent one on
> top. You can check this, by running it again or by viewing
> /boot/grub/grub.cfg oder menu.lst in case you still use GRUB 1.

[…]

> Ciao,
> --
> Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
> GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA *B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7

Hi Martin,

That's brilliant. You were right. I had no problem at all. What made
me nervous was when I saw the grub configuration script being run by
aptitude, but you are right, it was smart that it left the existing
grub menu entries intact, and the most recent kernel is still at the
top of the menu.

So it would seem that it is safe to have Lenny repositories in the
sources.list below the Squeeze ones. I've commented them out anyway,
as I can't recall any specific packages that are from Lenny.

Cheers,
Alex

Old 03-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 00:15:51 +1100, Alex wrote in message
<CAAvq_=ekbCNa4xX=Qe1YNpgKnh=TETsMTDZS6+uTwb7aN9jA Pg@mail.gmail.com>:

> So it would seem that it is safe to have Lenny repositories in the
> sources.list below the Squeeze ones. I've commented them out anyway,
> as I can't recall any specific packages that are from Lenny.

..a wee 'aptitude update &&aptitude' should line them old Lenny
packages neatly up in "Obsolete and Locally Created Packages (n)".

Scenarios always come in sets of three: