Old 03-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Peter Easthope

Default Line wrapping and message retrieval in Icedove.

Two elementary questions about Icedove usage. Answers are not obvious
in Account Settings or in Preferences or with Google.

Can the length at which a line is wrapped automatically be adjusted?
I'm inclined to set the auto-wrap length to infinity. Auto-wrapping is
particularly troublesome when it breaks a URI.

For almost every message, there is a notice that the header was
retrieved and not the body. A click on a link is required to see the
message body. Can the criteria for direct retrieval and display of the
message body be adjusted? Say for example, show every message up to 5
kB in size.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202. bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "

Archive: 4F6B6819.8070102@easthope.ca">http://lists.debian.org/4F6B6819.8070102@easthope.ca

Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:57:45 -0700, Peter Easthope wrote:

> Two elementary questions about Icedove usage. Answers are not obvious
> in Account Settings or in Preferences or with Google.
>
> Can the length at which a line is wrapped automatically be adjusted? I'm
> inclined to set the auto-wrap length to infinity. Auto-wrapping is
> particularly troublesome when it breaks a URI.

This is worth reading:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mail_content_types#Plain_text
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mail_content_types#Disabling_paragraph_flow

> For almost every message, there is a notice that the header was
> retrieved and not the body. A click on a link is required to see the
> message body. Can the criteria for direct retrieval and display of the
> message body be adjusted? Say for example, show every message up to 5
> kB in size.

You mean for IMAP accounts, right?

This has never happened to me but again, this set of articles (also at
the bottom, "IMAP: advanced account configuration") can be useful:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 23/03/12 04:57, Peter Easthope wrote:
> Two elementary questions about Icedove usage. Answers are not
> obvious in Account Settings or in Preferences or with Google.

Not for "linewrapping", but the *other* two questions are.

NOTE: Icedove and Thunderbird are not identical, you don't say which
version you have installed, how you have it configured, or what
extensions you have installed (it makes a difference).

I use Icedove from Mozilla-backports, but even so it's Version 5 whereas
Thunderbird is at 11. So lots of differences. Additionally you have
plug-ins/extensions to allow for. I have Enigmail installed which
changes a lot of formatting options.

> Can the length at which a line is wrapped automatically be adjusted?

AFAIK not "automatically", but I'm unsure of what rules you expect
"automatic" to follow.

That's not an easy one to find just digging through Icedove. You'll
probably find the Mozilla online documentation no help there. :-(

> I'm inclined to set the auto-wrap length to infinity. Auto-wrapping
> is particularly troublesome when it breaks a URI.

The link should still work, perhaps you're copying and pasting a link
instead of clicking on it?

Toolbar => Edit => Preferences
In the Preferences dialog select the "Advanced" tab
In the "Advanced" tab select "General".
Click on the "config editor" button (and promise to be careful)

flow:-
mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support [*1]
mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed [*1]

default is false for both

wrap:-
extensions.enigmail.wrapHtmlBeforeSend[*2] - default is true
mail.compose.wrap_to_window_width - default is false
mail.wrap_long_lines - default is true
mailnews.wraplength - default is 72 characters (news)
view_source.wrap_long_lines - default is false

width:-
mail.fixed_width_messages - default is true

[*1]http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mail_content_types#Disabling_paragraph_flow

[*2]you won't see this if you don't have enigmail

I use the Toggle Word Wrap extension:-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/toggle-word-wrap/
You can use the Icedove addons manager to install it. After installation
you should have a quick read of it's summary/guide.

> For almost every message, there is a notice that the header was
> retrieved and not the body. A click on a link is required to see
> the message body.

Toolbar => Edit => Account Settings
In the left-pane locate the name of the mail account you wish to set
preferences for. You may have only one mail account.
Beneath the name of the account is an entry called "Server Settings".
Select it.
In the right-pane untick the box marked "Header Only"

> Can the criteria for direct retrieval and display of the message body
> be adjusted? Say for example, show every message up to 5 kB in
> size.

Toolbar => Edit => Account Settings
In the left-pane locate the name of the mail account you wish to set
preferences for. You may have only one mail account.
Beneath the name of the account is an entry called "Disk Space". Select it.
In the right-pane tick the box marked "Messages Larger than" and ajust
the size to 5 KB

> Thanks, ... Peter E.

Kind regards

You may find this useful:-
http://en.flossmanuals.net/thunderbird/ch026_keyboard-shortcuts/

answers to Debian questions:-

Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 AM
Peter Easthope

NOTE: Icedove and Thunderbird are not identical, you don't say which
version you have installed,

A photo here.
http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/AboutIcedove.jpg

peter@dalton:~$ dpkg -l icedove | grep ice
ii icedove 3.0.11-1+squeeze7
mail/news client with RSS and integrated spam filter support

[There it goes breaking another line! =8~:| ]

... how you have it configured,

peter@dalton:~/.config$ man icedove | grep conf
peter@dalton:~/.config$

No *.conf mentioned.

... or what
extensions you have installed (it makes a difference).

None that I've installed deliberately.

I use Icedove from Mozilla-backports, but even so it's Version 5 whereas
Thunderbird is at 11. So lots of differences. Additionally you have
plug-ins/extensions to allow for. I have Enigmail installed which
changes a lot of formatting options.

peter@dalton:~/.config$ dpkg -l enigmail
No packages found matching enigmail.

Can the length at which a line is wrapped automatically be adjusted?

AFAIK not "automatically", but I'm unsure of what rules you expect
"automatic" to follow.

You are reading this as "automatically adjusted"? To be more clear
I might have typed,
"Can the length at which a line is automatically wrapped be adjusted?"

That's not an easy one to find just digging through Icedove. You'll
probably find the Mozilla online documentation no help there. :-(

I'm inclined to set the auto-wrap length to infinity. Auto-wrapping
is particularly troublesome when it breaks a URI.

The link should still work, perhaps you're copying and pasting a link
instead of clicking on it?

Yes, when composing a message I use the clipboard to insert a URI and
Icedove immediately breaks it. =8~:|

Toolbar => Edit => Preferences
In the Preferences dialog select the "Advanced" tab
In the "Advanced" tab select "General".
Click on the "config editor" button (and promise to be careful)

flow:-
mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support [*1]
mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed [*1]

default is false for both

Will have to read about that.

wrap:-
extensions.enigmail.wrapHtmlBeforeSend[*2] - default is true
mail.compose.wrap_to_window_width - default is false
mail.wrap_long_lines - default is true
mailnews.wraplength - default is 72 characters (news)
view_source.wrap_long_lines - default is false

width:-
mail.fixed_width_messages - default is true

Auto-wrapping of received messages isn't troublesome. It's the
auto-wrapping during composition of an outgoing message I want to stop.
Appears that I should set mail.wrap_long_lines or
mail.fixed_width_messages or both to false. Or perhaps just set
mailnews.wraplength to 140 or so.

[*1]http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mail_content_types#Disabling_paragraph_flow

Will read thanks.

[*2]you won't see this if you don't have enigmail

No enigmail here. [But a coder must be possessed to make an HTML text
which spews on for miles without a line break.]

Toolbar => Edit => Account Settings
In the left-pane locate the name of the mail account you wish to set
preferences for. You may have only one mail account.
Beneath the name of the account is an entry called "Server Settings".
Select it.
In the right-pane untick the box marked "Header Only"

Fixed, thanks.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202. bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "

Archive: 4F6BE8C5.2050603@easthope.ca">http://lists.debian.org/4F6BE8C5.2050603@easthope.ca

Old 03-23-2012, 05:53 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 23/03/12 14:06, Peter Easthope wrote:
> On 22/03/12 06:33 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 23/03/12 04:57, Peter Easthope wrote: NOTE: Icedove and
>> Thunderbird are not identical, you don't say which version you have
>> installed,
>
> A photo here. http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/AboutIcedove.jpg
>
> peter@dalton:~$ dpkg -l icedove | grep ice ii icedove
> 3.0.11-1+squeeze7 mail/news client with RSS and integrated spam
> filter support
>
> [There it goes breaking another line! =8~:| ]

All readable this end of the tube - and the url for your photo will work
too. Perhaps you're getting dynamic wrap (to window) confused with line
break (new line)?

Screen shot of your post here:-
http://ge.tt/68PmPNF/v/0

>> ... how you have it configured,
>
> peter@dalton:~/.config$ man icedove | grep conf
> peter@dalton:~/.config$

The config files live beneath ~/.icedove
No matter. Read on.

> No *.conf mentioned.
>
>> ... or what extensions you have installed (it makes a difference).
>
> None that I've installed deliberately.

I wasn't so much asking your config, as pointing out that it's *highly*
customisable, and has different features/layouts according to version.
So my default setups and documentation online may not match your experience.

<snipped>

> To be more clear I might have typed, "Can the length at which a line
> is automatically wrapped be adjusted?"

*Yes*.
See "mailnews.wraplength" setting further down this (and the previous) post.

<snipped>

> Yes, when composing a message I use the clipboard to insert a URI
> and Icedove immediately breaks it. =8~:|

I don't believe it "breaks" it (inserts a line break into it) - "it"
just dynamically wraps it. ie. resize the window and the line lengths
change. See the screen scrape as evidence no link was broken.

>> Toolbar => Edit => Preferences In the Preferences dialog select
>> the "Advanced" tab In the "Advanced" tab select "General". Click on
>> the "config editor" button (and promise to be careful)
>>
>> flow:- mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support [*1]
>> mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed [*1]
>>
>> default is false for both
>
> Will have to read about that.

I usually leave them as default. Here's one reason:-
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMailingLists#Posting_Rules.2C_Guidelines.2C_ and_Tips
"Flow quoted text if possible. "qv}" in vim. "

>> wrap:- extensions.enigmail.wrapHtmlBeforeSend[*2] - default is
>> true mail.compose.wrap_to_window_width - default is false
>> mail.wrap_long_lines - default is true mailnews.wraplength -
>> default is 72 characters (news) view_source.wrap_long_lines -
>> default is false

NOTE: line breaks are inserted at the value held by mailnews.wraplength,
with plain text messages these line breaks are shown with the > mark.
When editing a reply you can "re-wrap" text (Toolbar => Edit => Rewrap)
Ctrl+R.

<snipped>

> Auto-wrapping of received messages isn't troublesome. It's the
> auto-wrapping during composition of an outgoing message I want to
> stop.

They must be very long URLs... have you considered URL shorteners?

Check the screen scrape I posted against your perception of "line
breaking". You may find that unnecessary. Especially given all those
years of not having a problem with mutt's default column width. ;-)

> Appears that I should set mail.wrap_long_lines or
> mail.fixed_width_messages or both to false.

It's an option. Or you can use the extension I pointed you at.
I normally just use the default (I get no complaints).

> Or perhaps just set mailnews.wraplength to 140 or so.

Yes.
But you can then expect complaint from list readers who *don't* want to
filter out your messages *and don't* want to scroll across the screen to
read every bloody line.

From:-
"Wrap your lines at 80 characters or less for ordinary discussion. Lines
longer than 80 characters are acceptable for computer-generated output
(e.g., ls -l)."

(IMTU) putting plain text URLs on a line of their own is thoughtful.

>> [*1]http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mail_content_types#Disabling_paragraph_flow
>

> Will read thanks.
>
>> [*2]you won't see this if you don't have enigmail
>
> No enigmail here. [But a coder must be possessed to make an HTML
> text which spews on for miles without a line break.]

Huh?
PGP won't validate if a message is modified - so <pre> must be forced
onto HTML before signing/encryption.

<snipped>

Kind regards

answers to Debian questions:-

Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:06:45 -0700, Peter Easthope wrote:

(...)

> peter@dalton:~$ dpkg -l icedove | grep ice ii icedove
> 3.0.11-1+squeeze7
> mail/news client with RSS and integrated spam filter support
>
> [There it goes breaking another line! =8~:| ]

(...)

You can force a non-break line for that paragraph by selecting
"preformatted" text in the message composer editor.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 06/04/12 03:03, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
<snipped>

> I was just complaining
> about HTML which runs on for hundreds of characters without
> a line break.

Fair complaint.
Only two possible causes (both have an idiot driving) -
preformatting and tables. Otherwise it would wrap to suit the window of
the viewers choice. A common offender is those obnoxious email "themes"
with a hard screen width set that the idiot driving thinks looks pretty
on their widescreen. Often accompanied by such digital nasties as
animated emoticons and blinking text.(Outhouse and Incredidumb)
I dislike those emails only slightly less than the fascism of pdfs and
powerpoints. At least some of the bad HTML (pre tags) I can fix with
javascript.

> I don't put HTML into a message except an
> attachment for a legitimate purpose.

There can be reasons to use HTML in the main body. There can also be
reasons to reply to HTML email with another HTML email consisting solely
of a single bitmap screen-scrape from a wide-screen text document (or an
A1 pdf).

> CONCLUSION
> Currently I can send a message using mutt or iceweasel or
> ETH Native Oberon or a Web based interface to the server.
> FWIIW almost all of my messages are sent with ETHNO. Just
> my eccentric tastes.

Glad to hear it's working for you now. Organised is eccentric now? (sigh)

> Thanks for the help, ... Peter E.

<snipped>

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-