Old 03-22-2012, 05:39 AM
daniel jimenez

Default rt kernel and nouveau

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to get an rt kernel working in debian testing on an amd64 laptop with nvidia graphics.
Ideally I'd have nouveau set up to start when I select (in grub) the rt kernel and the nvidia drivers when choosing the regular kernel. Problem is, I don't know how to do that...

Any help appreciated.
--
Daniel Jiménez

Old 03-22-2012, 06:22 AM
Stan Hoeppner

On 3/22/2012 1:39 AM, daniel jimenez wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to get an rt kernel working in debian testing on an amd64 laptop
> with nvidia graphics.
>
> Ideally I'd have nouveau set up to start when I select (in grub) the rt
> kernel and the nvidia drivers when choosing the regular kernel. Problem is,
> I don't know how to do that...
>
> Any help appreciated.

What's the end game here?

--
Stan

Old 03-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Stan Hoeppner

On 3/22/2012 3:27 AM, daniel jimenez wrote:
> I'm using my computer as a guitar effects processor for real time audio,
> It's meant to be used in group performance so delays are kind of a big deal.
>
> I changed the 'Driver' entry in /etc/X11/xorg.conf from "nvidia" to "vesa"
> and the rt kernel is working. Regular kernel is not usable like this,
> though. I'd have to bring back my backed up xorg.conf. Next, I'm trying
> "nouveau".
>
> The above is definitely do-able, although it could get pretty tiresome to
> replace xorg.conf every time I want to play... Does anyone have any tips on
> how to run two different xorg.conf files for two kernels?

Seems there is a rather simple, if not elegant, solution.

1. Write a script to swap the xorg.conf files back/forth
2. Configure Linux to boot into a text shell

So, you power on and get your Grub boot menu for RT or non RT kernel.
Pick one. Then you get dropped to a command prompt. Run your custom
script to pick the xorg.conf version you want to run. Then issue startx.

--
Stan

Thu Mar 22 12:30:04 2012