Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Paul Johnson

Default Use example.com/org when giving example hostnames, please!

On Mar 20, 2012 11:49 PM, "严海东" <handlerofmaster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all:

> * * * * I have a problem with using wget and curl on debian amd64

> * * * * when I type a command -- wget www.XXX.com, error messages

> will display as below:

Just a heads up, EXAMPLE.COM and EXAMPLE.ORG are reserved as dummy names for giving example hostnames.* This avoids linking to other sites that do exist (domain.com) or are not work safe (xxx.com) unintentionally.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Curt Howland

It was written:
> Just a heads up, EXAMPLE.COM and EXAMPLE.ORG are reserved as dummy names
> for giving example hostnames. This avoids linking to other sites that do
> exist (domain.com) or are not work safe (xxx.com) unintentionally.

I often use MPAA.org or RIAA.org so that the spammers have something
nice and juicy to chew on.

Curt-

Old 03-21-2012, 03:00 PM
baloo

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> wrote:
> It was written:
>> Just a heads up, EXAMPLE.COM and EXAMPLE.ORG are reserved as dummy names
>> for giving example hostnames. *This avoids linking to other sites that do
>> exist (domain.com) or are not work safe (xxx.com) unintentionally.
>
> I often use MPAA.org or RIAA.org so that the spammers have something
> nice and juicy to chew on.

Hah, choice! I recommended example.com and example.org because
they're actually the IANA-designated dummy names.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Brad Alexander

But mpaa.org and riaa.org are full of dummies...