Old 04-05-2008, 03:00 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Default 32 or 64 bit on DELL INSPIRON celeron

Boris Epstein wrote:
64-bit Java for Linux is not quit ethere yet, so if you intend to use
the machien as a workstation - which most likely you do - running
32-bit Linux probably makes more sense at the moment.

SNIP

Boris,

I do not know about 64-bit Java for Linux being not quite there. I am
running sun-java6-bin 6-05-1 per dpkg -l . No issues seen by me. I do
not code in java so I can't speak to that. If you install debain amd64,
it also installs ia32libs with will allow you to run some (most?) 32bit
programs as well, with out a chroot. AFAIK, you could install 32bit
java just fine (you will have to use dpkg -i --force-architecture
packagenamefor32bitjava.deb (see dpkg --force-help). Again, I run a
64bit OS, sometimes debian Sid, sometimes Ubuntu (as the mode strikes
me, I re-install) and have been for quite a long time. It works.

Flash is the only application I see issues with. npviewer.bin gets
stuck and new flash video will not play until you kill that process (I
run non-free flash from Adobe). OO, FF (with all the webthingies)
totem-xine (with all the codex) and Sun Java JRE6. I don't know if
npviewer.bin would get stuck on a 32bit machine. I have not had one in
a long time.

YMMV

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com <mailto:damon@damtek.com>

Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 04-05-2008, 03:03 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Damon L. Chesser wrote:

Wrong list, should have been sent to the dell linux user list. Sorry.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Michael Geiger