Old 03-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Pierre Frenkiel

Default upgrade to Wheezy fails with aptitude

hi,
I wanted to upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy, and as I saw in several places
that aptitude should be preferred to apt-get, I first tried with it.
I started with only 1 line in sources.list:
deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
and tried several times "aptitude safe-upgrade"
Each time, aptitude stayed indefinitely on "resolving dependencies" and did
nothing else.
I then issued: "apt-get dist-upgrade", and all worked perfectly, in less
than 30 minutes.

My question: is it better to also revert to apt-get for package management,
or is the problem specific to the upgrade to a new release?

regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel

Archive: alpine.DEB.2.00.1203211033150.32108@pfr2.frenkiel-hure.net">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.2.00.1203211033150.32108@pfr2.frenkiel-hure.net

Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Lisi

On Wednesday 21 March 2012 10:01:38 Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> hi,
> I wanted to upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy, and as I saw in several places
> that aptitude should be preferred to apt-get, I first tried with it.
> I started with only 1 line in sources.list:
> deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
> and tried several times "aptitude safe-upgrade"
> Each time, aptitude stayed indefinitely on "resolving dependencies" and did
> nothing else.
> I then issued: "apt-get dist-upgrade", and all worked perfectly, in less
> than 30 minutes.
>
> My question: is it better to also revert to apt-get for package management,
> or is the problem specific to the upgrade to a new release?

aptitude full-upgrade is the equivalent of apt-get dist-upgrade. aptitude
safe-upgrade has different checks.

Lisi

Old 03-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Claudius Hubig

Hello Pierre,

Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenkiel@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wanted to upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy, and as I saw in several places
> that aptitude should be preferred to apt-get, I first tried with it.

> My question: is it better to also revert to apt-get for package management,
> or is the problem specific to the upgrade to a new release?

The release notes for Squeeze already refer to apt-get rather than
aptitude. From my point of view, during a specific timeframe around
2008, aptitude was technically superior, but since apt-get has caught
up, it appears to be the preferred choice.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
Please use GPG: ECB0C2C7 4A4C4046 446ADF86 C08112E5 D72CDBA4

Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Pierre Frenkiel