Old 04-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Default upgrade to Wheezy fails with aptitude

Am Mittwoch, 4. April 2012 schrieb Scott Ferguson:
> > Hope this explains,
>
> Thanks.
> Sort of explains things to me - I'm still lost as to why I'd want to
> remove packages for which no repository is currently listed in
> /etc/apt/sources.list or /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list
> Packages that custom packages, packages for which there no longer is a
> repository (Google packages, temp custom repos) and packages installed
> using repositories enabled only to install that package (eg. Debian
> Multimedia).

It would be nice if I could now whether I installed a packages manually
via dpkg -i and m-a a-i, well which uses dpkg, it whether apt-get or
aptitude installed it, i.e. whether I installed the package via a package
manager or a package repository manager.

This way I could purge files that are still no longer available in the
archive but have been before, without removed self compiled kernels,
modules or packages installed from files.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Charles Kroeger

> I never use it any other way. I tend to forget that it has an ncurses
> mode. Which would explain why I thought that both apt and aptitude can be
> used for day to day operations.

I don't have aptitude, never used it. Why would one need apt-get and aptitude
together?

--
CK

Old 04-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Indulekha

In linux.debian.user, Charles Kroeger <ckrogrr@frankensteinface.com> wrote:

> I don't have aptitude, never used it. Why would one need apt-get and aptitude
> together?

As a debian user since 2003 I was so accustomed to using apt-get that I just
stuck with it until squeeze, at which point curiosity compelled me to fool
with aptitude. My conclusion? Aptitude is more complete and useful, so it's
become my preferred package management tool now.
Old dogs sometimes do learn new tricks I guess...

--
Indulekha

Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Nicolas Bercher