Old 03-23-2012, 05:42 AM
Ken Heard

Default Can no longer mount SDHC card

Old 03-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 00:59:56 -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On 03/22/12 10:47, Camaleón wrote:
>> To be sincere, I'm still unsure about what log file holds what
>> information. In openSUSE, the main log was "/var/log/messages" and you
>> had to look there to see the most relevant information, but here
>> (Debian) seems to be "/var/log/syslog". Then there are additional small
>> files for authentication, user and other stuff I never remember which
>> is disseminated into small registries files.
>
> Take a look at /etc/rsyslog.conf

Nothing of interest (for the matter) here.

> and
> man rsyslog.conf rsyslogd

Still no way to know where messages are being dropped.

I would like to see more integration/compatibility in this regard coming
from all distributions.

> All your questions will be answered (albeit cryptically) there.

Mmm... I'm afraid they're not ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 schrieb Keith McKenzie:
> On 20/03/12 23:23, Charles Kroeger wrote:
> > Before you suggest, I didn't put the mount -t vfat etc command in
> > fstab because I don't want to see a message every time I boot the
> > computer without the SD card in the reader saying sde1 can't be
> > found and doesn't exist.
>
> I've got a feeling if you put 'users' on the fstab line it will cure
> that, & anyone in the 'users' group should be able to mount it.

AFAIK "users" stands for any user at all. user=username specifies a certain
user.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 schrieb Ken Heard:
> Camaléon's latest suggestions are worth trying to determine whether the
> cause is a software malfunction rather than a hardware failure. To do
> so however I would have to wait until I upgrade the laptop from Lenny
> to Squeeze, as he suggests I use an updated kernel. I will not be
> able to do the upgrade before May.

You could try to dig out a backport kernel for Lenny. But it might just be
easier to upgrade the machine. Yes there are 2.6.32 packages available,
according to:

http://backports.debian.org/Packages/

Ciao,

Old 03-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Freitag, 23. März 2012 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Am Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 schrieb Ken Heard:
> > Camaléon's latest suggestions are worth trying to determine whether
> > the cause is a software malfunction rather than a hardware failure.
> > To do so however I would have to wait until I upgrade the laptop
> > from Lenny to Squeeze, as he suggests I use an updated kernel. I
> > will not be able to do the upgrade before May.
>
> You could try to dig out a backport kernel for Lenny. But it might just
> be easier to upgrade the machine. Yes there are 2.6.32 packages
> available, according to:
>
> http://backports.debian.org/Packages/

Ditch that "it might just be easier to upgrade the machine". I didn´t
think that Lenny backport packages where still available - whyever.
Granted Lenny is not supported officially anymore. But its also not yet
moved to archive.debian.org. And even that also carries backports¹.

Anyway it makes sense to upgrade from a security point of view at last.

[1] http://archive.debian.org/backports.org/dists/

Ciao,

Old 03-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:42:06 +0700, Ken Heard wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> You can grab a LiveCD for a distribution of your choice (with an
>> updated kernel) and try your embedded multimedia card reader from
>> there. In fact, that's one of the uses for LiveCDs: testing your
>> hardware without messing up your current installed system ;-)
>
> Good idea. I should have thought of it myself; but I am male and
> sometimes my thinking is just too linear.

He, he! :-)

But don't worry; linear thinking is not linked to a particular gender.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón