Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Lisi

Default Can no longer mount SDHC card

On Wednesday 21 March 2012 17:07:08 Ken Heard wrote:
> Camaléon's [snip], as he suggests I use an updated kernel.

........... SHE suggests ......

Lisi

Old 03-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Charles Kroeger

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 10:40:03 +0100
Keith McKenzie <km3952@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/03/12 23:23, Charles Kroeger wrote:
> > Before you suggest, I didn't put the mount -t vfat etc command in fstab
> > because I don't want to see a message every time I boot the computer
> > without the SD card in the reader saying sde1 can't be found and doesn't
> > exist.
> >
> I've got a feeling if you put 'users' on the fstab line it will cure
> that, & anyone in the 'users' group should be able to mount it.

Thanks for the suggestion..however if the SD card happens to be in the camera
and not in the card reader during the boot fstab can't find 'sde1' (because
it's not there) then I get to see the 'not found' warning. That's the reason
for not putting the 'sde1' line in fstab.

--
CK

Old 03-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Bob Proulx

Camaleón wrote:
> Wilko Fokken wrote:
> > Camaleón wrote:
> >> Open a terminal, run "dmesg | tail" and then insert the card to see
> >> what's going on.
> >
> > Should'nt it be written:
> >
> > run "dmesg | tail -f" ?
>
> I only wanted to print the last few line from dmesg, nothing interactive.

The issue everyone was poking at was the order of actions. If you run
"dmesg|tail" first before inserting the card then that is before and
there won't be any messages about it yet. Instead the order would be
to insert the card first and then run dmesg afterward to see what
output it produced.

But that output may be slow to be emitted over time. I think it is
better to tail the syslog file.

AFAIK /var/log/syslog would would have all of the same information as
dmesg and so tail'ing with -f it would give real-time coverage of the
messages and no need to repeatedly run the dmesg command.

Bob

Old 03-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Celejar

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 20:48:21 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 10:34:31 +0700
> Ken Heard <ken@heard.name> dijo:
>
> >If I interpreted correctly the text below the OS may detect the
> >presence of the card but no longer will read it. I suppose my
> >solution now is to invest in an external "n"-in-1 card reader with the
> >capacity to read the high capacity SD cards and use it instead of the
> >internal reader.
>
> I should add that mine is a Ricoh also. Also that the Linux Thinkpad
> thinkwiki page and the listserve are full of problems with hardware
> failures and general flakiness.

They are? Thinkpads, particularly the T series (and IIUC, the R is a
close cousin of the T), are famous and beloved for their superlative
build quality.

Celejar

Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 PM
John Jason Jordan

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 19:40:10 -0400
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> dijo:

>On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 20:48:21 -0700
>John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:

>> I should add that mine is a Ricoh also. Also that the Linux Thinkpad
>> thinkwiki page and the listserve are full of problems with hardware
>> failures and general flakiness.

>They are? Thinkpads, particularly the T series (and IIUC, the R is a
>close cousin of the T), are famous and beloved for their superlative
>build quality.

I am sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Thinkpads in general were poor
quality. In fact, my experience is just the opposite. My T61 is now 4.5
years old and has held up better than any other laptop I have ever
owned. It's just the Ricoh card reader that is troublesome.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Celejar

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:59:46 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 19:40:10 -0400
> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> dijo:
>
> >On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 20:48:21 -0700
> >John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >> I should add that mine is a Ricoh also. Also that the Linux Thinkpad
> >> thinkwiki page and the listserve are full of problems with hardware
> >> failures and general flakiness.
>
> >They are? Thinkpads, particularly the T series (and IIUC, the R is a
> >close cousin of the T), are famous and beloved for their superlative
> >build quality.
>
> I am sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Thinkpads in general were poor
> quality. In fact, my experience is just the opposite. My T61 is now 4.5
> years old and has held up better than any other laptop I have ever
> owned. It's just the Ricoh card reader that is troublesome.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I recently bought a refurb T61,
based on the series's stellar reputation, and I was getting nervous

Celejar

Old 03-22-2012, 12:38 AM
Ken Heard

Old 03-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:17:06 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> Wilko Fokken wrote:
>> >
>> > Should'nt it be written:
>> >
>> > run "dmesg | tail -f" ?
>>
>> I only wanted to print the last few line from dmesg, nothing
>> interactive.
>
> The issue everyone was poking at was the order of actions.

Ah, that... true :-)

> If you run "dmesg|tail" first before inserting the card then that is
> before and there won't be any messages about it yet. Instead the order
> would be to insert the card first and then run dmesg afterward to see
> what output it produced.

Sure, the order matters here. He can re-run the command again to view the
new messages.

> But that output may be slow to be emitted over time. I think it is
> better to tail the syslog file.

USB (hardware) events are dropped there?

> AFAIK /var/log/syslog would would have all of the same information as
> dmesg and so tail'ing with -f it would give real-time coverage of the
> messages and no need to repeatedly run the dmesg command.

To be sincere, I'm still unsure about what log file holds what
information. In openSUSE, the main log was "/var/log/messages" and you
had to look there to see the most relevant information, but here (Debian)
seems to be "/var/log/syslog". Then there are additional small files for
authentication, user and other stuff I never remember which is
disseminated into small registries files.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 00:07:08 +0700, Ken Heard wrote:

(...)

> Camaléon's latest suggestions are worth trying to determine whether the
> cause is a software malfunction rather than a hardware failure. To do
> so however I would have to wait until I upgrade the laptop from Lenny to
> Squeeze, as he suggests I use an updated kernel. I will not be able to
> do the upgrade before May.

You can grab a LiveCD for a distribution of your choice (with an updated
kernel) and try your embedded multimedia card reader from there. In fact,
that's one of the uses for LiveCDs: testing your hardware without messing
up your current installed system ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-23-2012, 03:59 AM
Rick Thomas

To be sincere, I'm still unsure about what log file holds what
information. In openSUSE, the main log was "/var/log/messages" and you
had to look there to see the most relevant information, but here (Debian)
seems to be "/var/log/syslog". Then there are additional small files for
authentication, user and other stuff I never remember which is
disseminated into small registries files.

Take a look at /etc/rsyslog.conf and
man rsyslog.conf rsyslogd
All your questions will be answered (albeit cryptically) there.

Enjoy!
Rick