-   -   LSPCI shows network card, but the card refuses to come up (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/646778-lspci-shows-network-card-but-card-refuses-come-up.html)

Bijoy Lobo 03-20-2012 12:41 PM

LSPCI shows network card, but the card refuses to come up

Hello all

I have 2 cards on my system. I had no errors while Expert Install of Debian netinstall. even lspci shows me 2 ethernet controllers, However I cannot bring the 2nd interface up.

ifconfig eth1 tells me no such interface

ifconfig -a show me only eth0 and lo
--
Thanks and Regards
Bijoy Lobo

Paladion Networks

The_Ace 03-20-2012 12:57 PM

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Bijoy Lobo <bijoy.lobo@paladion.net> wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I have 2 cards on my system. I had no errors while Expert Install of
> Debian netinstall. even lspci shows me 2 ethernet controllers, However I
> cannot bring the 2nd interface up.
>
> ifconfig eth1 tells me no such interface
> ifconfig -a show me only eth0 and lo
>
> --
> Thanks and Regards
> Bijoy Lobo
> Paladion Networks

Does lspci -v (or -vv) show what driver and kernel modules are in use
for that card ?

--
The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff.

Camaleón 03-20-2012 01:39 PM

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:11:39 +0530, Bijoy Lobo wrote:

> I have 2 cards on my system. I had no errors while Expert Install of
> Debian netinstall. even lspci shows me 2 ethernet controllers, However I
> cannot bring the 2nd interface up.

Show us the output of these two commands:

lspci -v | grep -i ether
dmesg | grep -i eth

> ifconfig eth1 tells me no such interface ifconfig -a show me only eth0
> and lo

Also, show us the content of your "/etc/network/interfaces" file.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Bob Proulx 03-20-2012 11:37 PM

Camaleón wrote:
> Bijoy Lobo wrote:
> > I have 2 cards on my system. I had no errors while Expert Install of
> > Debian netinstall. even lspci shows me 2 ethernet controllers, However I
> > cannot bring the 2nd interface up.
>
> Show us the output of these two commands:
>
> lspci -v | grep -i ether

Ahem... 'lspci | grep -i eth' is good but 'lspci -v' is paragraph
formatted and so finding that with grep is more trouble. You need a
"paragraph grep" of which there are many different programs and
techniques. Perl is always available these days so perhaps using perl
is easiest.

lspci -v | perl -00 -ne 'm/eth/i && print'

The extra -v information isn't usually useful though. YMMV.

> dmesg | grep -i eth
>
> > ifconfig eth1 tells me no such interface ifconfig -a show me only eth0
> > and lo
>
> Also, show us the content of your "/etc/network/interfaces" file.

Please also show us the output of

ip addr show

and also

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Bob

Bijoy Lobo 03-21-2012 03:31 AM

LSPCI shows network card, but the card refuses to come up

Hello guys,

Thanks alot. I sloved the problem. It was the older kernel which didnt have support for my Atheros Card. I did a modprobe and it fixed the problem

Alberto Fuentes 03-21-2012 07:29 AM

LSPCI shows network card, but the card refuses to come up

Ahem... 'lspci | grep -i eth' is good but 'lspci -v' is paragraph
formatted and so finding that with grep is more trouble. You need a
"paragraph grep" of which there are many different programs and
techniques. Perl is always available these days so perhaps using perl
is easiest.

for the shake of completesness

lspci -v | grep -A5 -i eth

or the even easier
lspci -v | grep -5 -i eth

greets!
aL

Archive: 4F69916B.50604@qindel.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F69916B.50604@qindel.com

Bob Proulx 03-21-2012 09:49 AM

Alberto Fuentes wrote:
> for the shake of completesness

I commend your thoroughness. But...

> lspci -v | grep -A5 -i eth

But why did you stop at five lines? Aren't most network devices going
to print more lines than that? And it misses the "kernel driver in
use" line which is useful information.

Example:

root@fury:~# lspci -v | perl -00 -ne 'm/eth/i && print'
3f:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 280c
Memory at e0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Expansion ROM at <ignored> [disabled]
Capabilities: [50] Vital Product Data
Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information: Len=78 <?>
Capabilities: [e8] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 00-1b-78-ff-fe-b0-a3-14
Capabilities: [16c] Power Budgeting <?>
Kernel driver in use: tg3

root@fury:~# lspci -v | grep -A5 -i eth
3f:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 280c
Memory at e0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Expansion ROM at <ignored> [disabled]

> or the even easier
> lspci -v | grep -5 -i eth

Can't leave off the '-A' --after-context part since otherwise -NUM is
the same as --context not --after-context.

root@fury:~# lspci -v | grep -5 -i eth
Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting <?>
Kernel driver in use: nouveau

Alberto Fuentes 03-21-2012 10:10 AM

LSPCI shows network card, but the card refuses to come up

But why did you stop at five lines? Aren't most network devices going
to print more lines than that? And it misses the "kernel driver in
use" line which is useful information.

I see, in my case, 5 was enough to show everything :)

Can't leave off the '-A' --after-context part since otherwise -NUM is
the same as --context not --after-context.

I said even easier, because the info you are looking for shows up the
same as with the qualifier, and you don’t have to remember witch is
witch (and less typing!)

that said, i have a bind grep='grep --color' witch i think is a must as
well ;)

greets!
aL

Archive: 4F69B73A.9040000@qindel.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F69B73A.9040000@qindel.com

Camaleón 03-21-2012 02:14 PM

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 18:37:09 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> Bijoy Lobo wrote:
>> > I have 2 cards on my system. I had no errors while Expert Install of
>> > Debian netinstall. even lspci shows me 2 ethernet controllers,
>> > However I cannot bring the 2nd interface up.
>>
>> Show us the output of these two commands:
>>
>> lspci -v | grep -i ether
>
> Ahem... 'lspci | grep -i eth' is good but 'lspci -v' is paragraph
> formatted and so finding that with grep is more trouble. You need a
> "paragraph grep" of which there are many different programs and
> techniques. Perl is always available these days so perhaps using perl
> is easiest.
>
> lspci -v | perl -00 -ne 'm/eth/i && print'
>
> The extra -v information isn't usually useful though. YMMV.

(...)

Let's try out both:

sm01@stt008:~$ lspci -v | grep -i ether
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)
11:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet

Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet

sm01@stt008:~$ lspci -v | perl -00 -ne 'm/eth/i && print'
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)
Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Device 10bd
Memory at dc600000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
Memory at dc625000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
I/O ports at 1820 [size=32]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: e1000e
Kernel modules: e1000e

11:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 20
I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]
Memory at dc300000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at dc400000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: r8169
Kernel modules: r8169

Nah, yours is too verbose for this matter ;-). Indeed, the extra information
(-v) can be omited as we just wanted to know what card it was.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Andrei POPESCU 03-26-2012 01:27 PM

On Mi, 21 mar 12, 15:14:14, Camaleón wrote:

> Nah, yours is too verbose for this matter ;-). Indeed, the extra information
> (-v) can be omited as we just wanted to know what card it was.

In which case -nn is very useful.

Kind regards,
Andrei