Old 03-20-2012, 06:24 AM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

Default Possible to create more than one preseed/late command?

I'm doing a customized Squeeze install, and have a lot of problems with the d-i preseed/late_command. For starters, it seems like you can only have one of these in your preseed.cfg; is that true? Or is it only true if one is using "in-target" as well in the late_command?

Mostly, I'm trying to do a set of system configuration tasks not handled by debconf before the first boot: things like changing the hostname (d-i doesn't retain this information properly; it's a known bug), settings up ssh options, and modifying various /etc files. I have about 15 commands I'm trying to run; I've tried setting them as multiple late commands, as well as trying to build a single executable in /target/tmp with echo statements that gets executed with the in-target keyword. My success is, to say the least, mixed.

I've googled around a lot, but the information on d-i is pretty sparse in regards to the limitations of preseed/late_command. Can anyone point me to some in-depth examples of how to perform some complex post-install but pre-reboot administration tasks with it?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 3:24 AM, Todd A. Jacobs
<codegnome.consulting@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm doing a customized Squeeze install, and have a lot of problems with the
> d-i preseed/late_command. For starters, it seems like you can only have one
> of these in your preseed.cfg; is that true? Or is it only true if one is
> using "in-target" as well in the late_command?
>
> Mostly, I'm trying to do a set of system configuration tasks not handled by
> debconf before the first boot: things like changing the hostname (d-i
> doesn't retain this information properly; it's a known bug), settings up ssh
> options, and modifying various /etc files. I have about 15 commands I'm
> trying to run; I've tried setting them as multiple late commands, as well as
> trying to build a single executable in /target/tmp with echo statements that
> gets executed with the in-target keyword. My success is, to say the least,
> mixed.
>
> I've googled around a lot, but the information on d-i is pretty sparse in
> regards to the limitations of preseed/late_command. Can anyone point me to
> some in-depth examples of how to perform some complex post-install but
> pre-reboot administration tasks with it?

You should be able to string them together with ";" within one "d-i
preseed/late_command".