Old 03-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Gary Roach

Default vsftp problems (SOLVED)

Well, isn't this embarrassing. Nowhere does it say that you may have to
reboot your systems after installation of vsftpd. When I found that a
script for vsftpd had been installed in the rc*.d files I decided to see
what would happen if I rebooted the system. This fixed the problems on
every one of the machines. All are running in inet,d mode - I don't care
what the documentation says about my setup being standalone. I think
that there needs to be some documentation changes but I am not sure
what. A rewrite of the vsftpd.conf files explanations would be a big help.

I thank you all for your help and patience.

Gary R.

Archive: 4F675D78.3050506@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F675D78.3050506@verizon.net

Old 03-20-2012, 03:29 AM

From: "Gary Roach" <gary719_list1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, March 19, 2012 11:23 am
> Nowhere does it say that you may have to
> reboot your systems after installation of vsftpd.

Unfortunately none of us caught that.
If the configuration of a daemon running under inetd is alterred,
"/etc/init.d/inetd restart" should be sufficient. Correction from
expert is welcome.

> When I found that a
> script for vsftpd had been installed in the rc*.d files I decided to see
> what would happen if I rebooted the system. This fixed the problems on
> every one of the machines. All are running in inet,d mode - I don't care
> what the documentation says about my setup being standalone.

I had similar thoughts when first trying get vsftp airborn.

> I think
> that there needs to be some documentation changes but I am not sure
> what. A rewrite of the vsftpd.conf files explanations would be a big help.

I already have too many projects to tackle this. Being that you have just
slogged through it, you are qualified to work on a wiki page or submit a
bug report.

> I thank you all for your help and patience.

Our help hasn't been efficient but welcome, Peter E.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:29:56 -0500, peter wrote:

> From: "Gary Roach" <gary719_list1@verizon.net> Date:
Mon, March
> 19, 2012 11:23 am
>> Nowhere does it say that you may have to reboot your systems after
>> installation of vsftpd.
>
> Unfortunately none of us caught that. If the configuration of a daemon
> running under inetd is alterred, "/etc/init.d/inetd restart" should be
> sufficient. Correction from expert is welcome.

I don't have such a service in Lenny:

stt008:~# LANG=POSIX; /etc/init.d/inetd status
-su: /etc/init.d/inetd: No such file or directory

("man inetd" provides more info)

Anyway, I can't see any good reason for a system restart to make vsftpd
starts working. IIRC, Gary was firstly using a standalone profile setting
for the daemon ("listen=YES") so restarting the inetd service would have
been useless.

>> When I found that a
>> script for vsftpd had been installed in the rc*.d files I decided to
>> see what would happen if I rebooted the system. This fixed the problems
>> on every one of the machines. All are running in inet,d mode - I don't
>> care what the documentation says about my setup being standalone.
>
> I had similar thoughts when first trying get vsftp airborn.

(...)

Last time I had to setup vsftp (standalone) was plain easy, although at
that time I was using openSUSE :-). I only recall problems with Pam in
order to setup the virtual users login but nothing overwhelming.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Bob Proulx

Camaleón wrote:
> peter wrote:
> > Gary Roach wrote:
> >> Nowhere does it say that you may have to reboot your systems after
> >> installation of vsftpd.

It shouldn't be necessary to reboot. That just means that something
else is happening that isn't fully understood yet.

> > Unfortunately none of us caught that. If the configuration of a daemon
> > running under inetd is alterred, "/etc/init.d/inetd restart" should be
> > sufficient. Correction from expert is welcome.

"reload" would be prefered over "restart". Or if you are old school
simply find the process id of the running program and send it a HUP
signal.

# ps -ef |grep inetd
root 3703 1 0 Feb19 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/inetd
# kill -1 3703

However any package that installed itself there should be using the
update-inetd package interface and that script would have done the
above automatically. If it didn't then it is a bug. But if the
configuration were edited after install then it is up to the admin
editing the file to know to do this.

> I don't have such a service in Lenny:
>
> stt008:~# LANG=POSIX; /etc/init.d/inetd status
> -su: /etc/init.d/inetd: No such file or directory

It has been renamed to allow multiple implementations. The version I
have installed is "openbsd-inetd". But there are other alternative
implementations available. Including xinetd which is quite different.

> ("man inetd" provides more info)
>
> Anyway, I can't see any good reason for a system restart to make vsftpd
> starts working. IIRC, Gary was firstly using a standalone profile setting
> for the daemon ("listen=YES") so restarting the inetd service would have
> been useless.

A very typical problem is that a daemon is configured to listen *both*
standalone *and* in inetd. Since only one of them can actually do a
listen on a single port the first one started works and the second one
started fails. This makes it dependent upon boot start order which
happens. I can't tell if that is what is happening here but it seemed
likely after reading some of the comments.

Bob