Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   dir is not ls (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/646410-dir-not-ls.html)

rcb 03-19-2012 02:08 PM

dir is not ls
 
Dear Debian users,

Some old systems insists you type 'ls' and do not provide an alias do 'dir'.
I loved this behavior.

How can I make debian squeeze honor 'ls' again, and print a funny
message to those who try to type 'dir'?

I've look for a clean way to disable 'dir', but found nothing on
~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_alias, /etc/bash.bashrc or /etc/profile. Nor the
command 'alias' give me any 'dir' alias.

Thanks all,

Beco

PS. For those who still use dual boot: in your windows box, open
notepad and type:

@dir /w /p %*

Save as ls.bat in C:WindowsSystem32



--
LiCo #201942


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CALuYw2yVdAYcQdS+J4jpVD57d5D_GAu05fSnTuYsoubAz2_8P w@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CALuYw2yVdAYcQdS+J4jpVD57d5D_GAu05fSnTuYsoubAz2_8P w@mail.gmail.com

Brad Rogers 03-19-2012 03:02 PM

dir is not ls
 
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:08:40 -0300
rcb <rcb@beco.cc> wrote:

Hello rcb,

> Some old systems insists you type 'ls' and do not provide an alias do
> 'dir'.

dir isn't an alias. At least, not on my testing system.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
This disease is catching
Into The Valley - Skids

Camaleón 03-19-2012 03:21 PM

dir is not ls
 
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:08:40 -0300, rcb wrote:

> Some old systems insists you type 'ls' and do not provide an alias do
> 'dir'. I loved this behavior.
>
> How can I make debian squeeze honor 'ls' again, and print a funny
> message to those who try to type 'dir'?
>
> I've look for a clean way to disable 'dir', but found nothing on
> ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_alias, /etc/bash.bashrc or /etc/profile. Nor the
> command 'alias' give me any 'dir' alias.

(...)

Can't you just add the alias manually? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: jk7mel$6c2$23@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jk7mel$6c2$23@dough.gmane.org

Kelly Clowers 03-19-2012 03:23 PM

dir is not ls
 
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 08:08, rcb <rcb@beco.cc> wrote:
> Dear Debian users,
>
> Some old systems insists you type 'ls' and do not provide an alias do 'dir'.
> I loved this behavior.
>
> How can I make debian squeeze honor 'ls' again, and print a funny
> message to those who try to type 'dir'?
>
> I've look for a clean way to disable 'dir', but found nothing on
> ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_alias, /etc/bash.bashrc or /etc/profile. Nor the
> command 'alias' give me any 'dir' alias.


Well, I believe dir is built into modern versions of GNU coreutils,
rather than being an alias or something:

https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/dir-invocation.html#dir-invocation

But you can still override it. You could alias it to a shell script
that prints something or make it a function. Do it in /etc/ and it
affects everyone of course.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAFoWM=_cOzhbMOZp3GSr_XEDBz0rbREx9549mwUxHGcqF8jvT A@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAFoWM=_cOzhbMOZp3GSr_XEDBz0rbREx9549mwUxHGcqF8jvT A@mail.gmail.com

Jochen Spieker 03-19-2012 03:49 PM

dir is not ls
 
rcb:
>
> How can I make debian squeeze honor 'ls' again, and print a funny
> message to those who try to type 'dir'?

apt-get install sl

alias dir=sl

Doesn't work for root because /usr/games/ is usually not in its path.

J.
--
After the millenium I would tell lies only to those who deserved them.
[Agree] [Disagree]
<http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>

Claudius Hubig 03-19-2012 04:12 PM

dir is not ls
 
Hello Jochen,

Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> apt-get install sl
>
> alias dir=sl
>
> Doesn't work for root because /usr/games/ is usually not in its path.

Nothing stops you from providing the full path :-) Try

$ which sl

to get it.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
Q: Why do WASPs play golf ?
A: So they can dress like pimps.
Please use GPG: ECB0C2C7 4A4C4046 446ADF86 C08112E5 D72CDBA4
http://chubig.net telnet://nightfall.org:4242

Brad Rogers 03-19-2012 07:57 PM

dir is not ls
 
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:10:20 -0300
Dr Beco <rcb@beco.cc> wrote:

Hello Dr,

> I'm astonished! 'dir' is now officially a linux command! My gosh.

Not used it myself, since I've been so used to ls. I only tried to find
because of your initial post on the subject. "which dir" showed where
it resides. A comparison between dir and ls using the --version and
--help options reveals that, in fact, they're, essentially, the same
program.

> Just save the alias in /etc/profile.d/bash_aliases.sh and we are done.
> (But I think a rm /bin/dir is also applicable)

Every time there's an update to coreutils dir will be back, don't
forget. Anyhow, won't the alias take precedence? If yes, why bother
removing dir?

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
There's no point in asking you'll get no reply
Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols

Kumar Appaiah 03-20-2012 02:13 AM

dir is not ls
 
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 08:57:28PM +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > Just save the alias in /etc/profile.d/bash_aliases.sh and we are done.
> > (But I think a rm /bin/dir is also applicable)
>
> Every time there's an update to coreutils dir will be back, don't
> forget. Anyhow, won't the alias take precedence? If yes, why bother
> removing dir?

In addition, the bash profile is not an option since that probably
applies only for those who have their shell as bash; users choosing
another shell would probably still see dir.

Kumar
--
There are no threads in a.b.p.erotica, so there's no gain in using a
threaded news reader.
(Unknown source)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120320031342.GA19982@bluemoon.alumni.iitm.ac.in" >http://lists.debian.org/20120320031342.GA19982@bluemoon.alumni.iitm.ac.in

Arnt Karlsen 03-20-2012 04:33 PM

dir is not ls
 
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 22:13:42 -0500, Kumar wrote in message
<20120320031342.GA19982@bluemoon.alumni.iitm.ac.in >:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 08:57:28PM +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > > Just save the alias in /etc/profile.d/bash_aliases.sh and we are
> > > done. (But I think a rm /bin/dir is also applicable)
> >
> > Every time there's an update to coreutils dir will be back, don't
> > forget. Anyhow, won't the alias take precedence? If yes, why
> > bother removing dir?
>
> In addition, the bash profile is not an option since that probably
> applies only for those who have their shell as bash; users choosing
> another shell would probably still see dir.

..they probably deserve seeing it. ;o)

> Kumar


--
..med vennlig hilsen = with Kind Regards from Arnt Karlsen
...with a number of polar bear hunters in his ancestry...
Scenarios always come in sets of three:
best case, worst case, and just in case.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120320183322.3480beec@nb6.lan">http://lists.debian.org/20120320183322.3480beec@nb6.lan


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:05 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.