Old 03-19-2012, 01:39 PM
lina

Default console keyboard layout (dvorak)

Hi,

As suggested from list, I switched to dvorak months ago.

But the console (namely Ctrl+F1,F2...) still used the old way, I mean
QREWT way.

Following the http://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

I set it to dvorak

# dpkg-reconfigure console-data
Looking for keymap to install:
mac-dvorak

But things get weired, everything is normal on the tty terminal, but
on console (hope it's the right name for it). it showed something
unexpected, I went through all keys, even couldn't find the ENTER and
Del, I don't know which layout it's.

Can someone give me some suggestions how to remove the keymap I
installed. since it doesn't work as expected.

Best regards,

Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM
lina

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:39 PM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As suggested from list, I switched to dvorak months ago.
>
> But the console (namely Ctrl+F1,F2...) still used the old way, I mean
> QREWT way.
>
> Following the http://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard
>
> dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
>
> I set it to dvorak
>
> # dpkg-reconfigure console-data
> Looking for keymap to install:
> mac-dvorak

# dpkg-reconfigure console-data
Looking for keymap to install:
dvorak-classic

I changed it to dvorak-classic it works as expected.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Old 03-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 07:39, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
> But things get weired, everything is normal on the tty terminal, but
> on console (hope it's the right name for it).

Setting aside the rest for the moment, we should clarify terminology.

When you log in without a GUI, or switch to them with ctrl-alt-F1 (etc),
you are dealing with TTYs. That is clear. Then things get confusing
because in casual conversation, people overload meanings.

Terminal is a TTY, but people often use the word for any command
line interface, notably for terminal emulators, which are the
windows in X that have a command line. Xterm is the "default"
terminal emulator, and people sometimes call any terminal
emulator (rxvt, gnome-terminal, konsole) an "xterm".

Console should be (or was) a piece of hardware acting as a
terminal. But now its meaning is often as vague as terminal.

When the distinction matters, I find it it easiest to say "TTY"
for ctrl-alt-F1 etc. and "xterm" or "terminal emulator" for
command line windows in X. Yes, it is annoying.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Wayne Topa

[...]

There should be no confusion as the answer is on the OP's system.

apt-cache show console setup

[snip]

This package provides the Linux console with the same
keyboard configuration scheme as the X Window System. As a result,
there is no need to duplicate or change the keyboard files just to
make simple customizations such as the use of dead keys, the key
functioning as AltGr or Compose key, the key(s) to switch between
Latin and non-Latin mode, etc.

[snip]

Wayne

--
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.

Archive: 4F67B8C8.5010402@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F67B8C8.5010402@gmail.com

Old 03-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Kelly Clowers

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 15:52, Wayne Topa <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/19/2012 02:01 PM, Kelly Clowers wrote:

<terminology info>

> There should be no confusion as the answer is on the OP's system.
>
> apt-cache show console setup

console-setup is a program, not a tutorial on terminology...

Cheers,
Kelly Clower

Old 03-20-2012, 02:26 AM
Wayne Topa

There should be no confusion as the answer is on the OP's system.

apt-cache show console setup

console-setup is a program, not a tutorial on terminology...

Your correct, of course, but neither is D-U which seems to be the OP's
1st choice for answers. :-(

Wayne