-   -   LUKS/ dm-crypt/ ext4 appears to be single threaded (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/646046-luks-dm-crypt-ext4-appears-single-threaded.html)

David Christensen 03-18-2012 05:26 PM

LUKS/ dm-crypt/ ext4 appears to be single threaded

debian-user:

I have a 1.5 TB SATA hard drive I use for back-up's. It has a single
large partition encrypted with LUKS/ dm-crypt and formatted with ext4.
I've noticed what appears to be single-threaded behavior when one
process is performing a long-lived write to the disk (notably 'ssh
user@host tar ... > backupfile.tar.gz') and another process attempts to
access the disk (either read or write). This is tolerable for a back-up
application, but would not be acceptable for multi-user, multi-process,
and/or multi-threaded applications (file server, terminal server, web
server, etc.).

Is this a fundamental limitation of LUKS, dm-crypt, and/or ext4, or
something I've configured/ misconfigured?

If a fundamental limitation, is there something I can substitute to
eliminate the problem?

Some manufacturers make hard drives with built-in encryption. Are these
supported by Debian, Linux, or BSD?

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/self-encrypting-drives/

Any other comments or suggestions?

TIA,

David

Archive: 4F6628F1.6080104@holgerdanske.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F6628F1.6080104@holgerdanske.com

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh 03-19-2012 12:50 AM

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012, David Christensen wrote:
> with ext4. I've noticed what appears to be single-threaded behavior

> Is this a fundamental limitation of LUKS, dm-crypt, and/or ext4, or
> something I've configured/ misconfigured?

It is a limitation of dm-crypt.

Just get a box with a supported very-high-speed AES hardware accelerator
(e.g. recent amd64/x86-64 processors with AES-NI), and tune your dm-crypt
usage to cyphers that can be hardware accelerated. Even single-threaded
AES-NI dm-crypt would be much faster than multithreaded non-accelerated
dm-crypt, AFAIK.

> Some manufacturers make hard drives with built-in encryption. Are
> these supported by Debian, Linux, or BSD?

Yes, although it often requires proper support from the EFI/BIOS for it to
be usable in the boot device (and also on the image device when using
suspend-to-disk). YMMV.

> Any other comments or suggestions?

You better do your homework if you're going to trust the vendors of
self-encripting devices.

Henrique Holschuh

David Christensen 03-20-2012 12:48 AM

LUKS/ dm-crypt/ ext4 appears to be single threaded

Just get a box with a supported very-high-speed AES hardware accelerator
(e.g. recent amd64/x86-64 processors with AES-NI), and tune your dm-crypt
usage to cyphers that can be hardware accelerated.

Yes, my next machine will have AES-NI. :-)

But, the problem is processes with a long-lived writes blocking
everything else, not encryption/ decryption speed.

David

Archive: 4F67E1D5.1000204@holgerdanske.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F67E1D5.1000204@holgerdanske.com

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh 03-20-2012 02:02 AM

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012, David Christensen wrote:
> On 03/18/2012 06:50 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >Just get a box with a supported very-high-speed AES hardware accelerator
> >(e.g. recent amd64/x86-64 processors with AES-NI), and tune your dm-crypt
> >usage to cyphers that can be hardware accelerated.
>
> Yes, my next machine will have AES-NI. :-)
>
> But, the problem is processes with a long-lived writes blocking
> everything else, not encryption/ decryption speed.

Well, you could try the deadline IO scheduler...

Henrique Holschuh