Old 03-18-2012, 04:03 PM
"Dan B."

Default kernel modesetting - set only at boot, or changeable?

When KMS (kernel modesetting) is used, can the video mode (resolution)
be changed after booting, or is it set only once, at boot time (or
maybe at module-load time)?

Thanks,
Daniel

Archive: 4F661558.7050909@kempt.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F661558.7050909@kempt.net

Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

The resolution can be changed with KMS activated, e.g., with xrandr when X is
running.
Further reading:
http://linux.koolsolutions.com/2009/11/02/howto-enabling-kernel-mode-setting-kms-in-debian-linux-kernel/
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Radeon
--
Best regards,
Jörg-Volker.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 AM
"Dan B."

Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:

The resolution can be changed with KMS activated, e.g., with xrandr when X is
running.
Further reading:
http://linux.koolsolutions.com/2009/11/02/howto-enabling-kernel-mode-setting-kms-in-debian-linux-kernel/
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Radeon

Can it be changed before/without starting X?

Currently I'm trying to solve the following problem (on a system not yet
set up enough to run X):

If I boot with my KVM switch connecting my monitor to my Squeeze system,
I get a video resolution of 1920x1080 pixels (the resolution of my
monitor), giving me virtual consoles with 240 x 67 characters.

If I boot with my KVM switch connecting my monitor elsewhere,
then of course I get a different video resolution--1024x768 pixels
(apparently what my KVM sends in that state when the real monitor isn't
connected), giving virtual consoles with 128 x 48 or so characters.

I want to override Linux's auto-detection and just set the video
resolution to 1920x1080 so that the resolution won't depend on the
KVM switch state at boot time.

Although I can set the video mode in Grub's command line for the kernel,
I'd really prefer to do it somewhere in the booted system (e.g., via
/etc/init.d/... and /etc/defaults/... or whatever) rather than in
Grub on my shared /boot partition (which could get clobbered more
easily).)

Thanks,
Daniel

Archive: 4F669CAE.4030407@kempt.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F669CAE.4030407@kempt.net

Old 03-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 22:40:46 -0400, Dan B. wrote:

> Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
>> The resolution can be changed with KMS activated, e.g., with xrandr
>> when X is running.
>> Further reading:
>> http://linux.koolsolutions.com/2009/11/02/howto-enabling-kernel-mode-setting-kms-in-debian-linux-kernel/
>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Radeon

(...)

> I want to override Linux's auto-detection and just set the video
> resolution to 1920x1080 so that the resolution won't depend on the KVM
> switch state at boot time.
>
> Although I can set the video mode in Grub's command line for the kernel,
> I'd really prefer to do it somewhere in the booted system (e.g., via
> /etc/init.d/... and /etc/defaults/... or whatever) rather than in Grub
> on my shared /boot partition (which could get clobbered more easily).)

I'd go ahead with editing the "/etc/default/grub" file to setup a static
resolution for your console. The settings you edit here won't be
overwritten because it's not under your shared "/boot" partition.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2012-03-19 03:40 +0100, Dan B. wrote:

> Currently I'm trying to solve the following problem (on a system not yet
> set up enough to run X):
>
> If I boot with my KVM switch connecting my monitor to my Squeeze system,
> I get a video resolution of 1920x1080 pixels (the resolution of my
> monitor), giving me virtual consoles with 240 x 67 characters.
>
> If I boot with my KVM switch connecting my monitor elsewhere,
> then of course I get a different video resolution--1024x768 pixels
> (apparently what my KVM sends in that state when the real monitor isn't
> connected), giving virtual consoles with 128 x 48 or so characters.

1024x768 is the fallback resolution used if the monitor sends no or
invalid EDID. This is probably the case here.

> I want to override Linux's auto-detection and just set the video
> resolution to 1920x1080 so that the resolution won't depend on the
> KVM switch state at boot time.
>
> Although I can set the video mode in Grub's command line for the kernel,
> I'd really prefer to do it somewhere in the booted system (e.g., via
> /etc/init.d/... and /etc/defaults/... or whatever) rather than in
> Grub on my shared /boot partition (which could get clobbered more
> easily).)

I don't think this is currently possible, and you have to make do with
passing video=1920x1080 on the kernel commandline. If somebody knows a
better solution, please let me know.

Sven