Old 03-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Umarzuki Mochlis

Default what is the correct way of setting up lvm

this not a debian issue but a general linux issue

i had set a LUN (e.g.: /dev/sdb) that can be seen from a server but
after some time (rsync to this logical volume) it got remounted
read-only and there's "unlinked-inode" from dmesg.

my method of creating a ext3 logical volume is

# pvcreate /dev/sdb
# vgcreate backup /dev/sdb
# lvcreate -n mailbackup --size 1200g backup
# lvextend -l +100%FREE /dev/backup/mailbackup
# mkfs.ext3 /dev/backup/mailbackup

i just want to know whether my method is the cause of this problem

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

Old 03-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Arno Schuring

Umarzuki Mochlis (umarzuki@gmail.com on 2012-03-18 21:08 +0800):
> this not a debian issue but a general linux issue
>
> i had set a LUN (e.g.: /dev/sdb) that can be seen from a server but
> after some time (rsync to this logical volume) it got remounted
> read-only and there's "unlinked-inode" from dmesg.
>
> my method of creating a ext3 logical volume is
>
> # pvcreate /dev/sdb
> # vgcreate backup /dev/sdb
> # lvcreate -n mailbackup --size 1200g backup
> # lvextend -l +100%FREE /dev/backup/mailbackup
> # mkfs.ext3 /dev/backup/mailbackup

I don't see anything obviously wrong, but using lvextend on a new VG
isn't really necessary. I'd have used
# lvcreate -n mailbackup -l 100%VG backup

The remount action may have been triggered because of a communication
error between the host and the san. Were you sharing the iscsi target
between multiple hosts?

Regards,
Arno

Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Umarzuki Mochlis

Pada 19 Mac 2012 1:26 PG, Arno Schuring <aelschuring@hotmail.com> menulis:

> I don't see anything obviously wrong, but using lvextend on a new VG
> isn't really necessary. I'd have used
> # lvcreate -n mailbackup -l 100%VG backup
>
> The remount action may have been triggered because of a communication
> error between the host and the san. Were you sharing the iscsi target
> between multiple hosts?
>

> Regards,
> Arno

yes. but it was on a SAN. supposed for a 2+1 setup where the standby
server could mount this volume whenever the current node got fenced.

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Jon Dowland

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 09:08:48PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> this not a debian issue but a general linux issue

It's still on-topic, no need to mark the subject as OT.