-   -   USB-keyboard language settings (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/645787-usb-keyboard-language-settings.html)

Christian Frey 03-17-2012 06:36 PM

USB-keyboard language settings

Hey together,

I have installed Debian Wheezy without larger problems, except that I have used an old PS2 Keyboard Swiss German for installation instead of the USB Swiss German one as this did not work - also not in the text mode. After first start of Debian, my PS2 Swiss German keyboard worked properly, z and y was not changed, also the Umlaute worked. But then, I restarted the system with the USB*

I have to say that I want to have the system language English and the locale Region setting set to Switzerland as well as the Keyboard. The System Setting GUI shows me that I have British English as Language, as Format UK and as Layout Swiss German keyboard. I guess it mixes somehwere up between Format and Layout. Also it was not possible during install, after choosing English as sys language to choose as Format Switzerland. However, the keyboard I could choose as Swiss one.

How can I fix this issue // Thx./ A reconfigure of the keyboard configuration respectively of the locales did not really help. *The Format cannot be changed in the GUI.

Camaleón 03-19-2012 10:36 AM

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 20:36:18 +0100, Christian Frey wrote:

> Hey together,

Wow... what a mess. Sir, no html postings, please.

(...)

> I have to say that I want to have the system language English and the
> locale Region setting set to Switzerland as well as the Keyboard. The
> System Setting GUI shows me that I have British English as Language, as
> Format UK and as Layout Swiss German keyboard. I guess it mixes
> somehwere up between Format and Layout. Also it was not possible during
> install, after choosing English as sys language to choose as Format
> Switzerland. However, the keyboard I could choose as Swiss one.

I'm not sure to have properly understood the issue... are you saying your
keyboard layout is not the desired? If yes, what's the current one and
what do you want to get?

If you are using a graphical DE, this can be set from the keyboard
configuration settings. If you're on console, you can edit "/etc/default/
keyboard" file.

> How can I fix this issue // Thx./ A reconfigure of the keyboard
> configuration respectively of the locales did not really help. The
> Format cannot be changed in the GUI.

It is not clear to me what you understand for "keyboard format" :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón 03-19-2012 11:23 AM

USB-keyboard language settings

El 2012-03-19 a las 12:47 +0100, Christian Frey escribió:

(correcting the top-posting and resending to the list)

> Am 19. März 2012 12:36 schrieb Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:

(...)

> > I'm not sure to have properly understood the issue... are you saying your
> > keyboard layout is not the desired? If yes, what's the current one and
> > what do you want to get?
> >
> > If you are using a graphical DE, this can be set from the keyboard
> > configuration settings. If you're on console, you can edit "/etc/default/
> > keyboard" file.
> >
> > > How can I fix this issue // Thx./ A reconfigure of the keyboard
> > > configuration respectively of the locales did not really help. The
> > > Format cannot be changed in the GUI.
> >
> > It is not clear to me what you understand for "keyboard format" :-?
> >
> > Greetings,

> OK, let's write it up properly ;)
>
> 1.) During Installation of Wheezy, I had to exchange my Logitech K340 with
> a PS/2 keyboard in order to install Wheezy as the USB-Keyboard did not
> react in the installer of Wheezy (although it did in the BIOS and also,
> interestingly, in Squeeze installer - as a test). Installation went fine,
> except that I would prefer that if one has choosen the system language
> (i.e. English), the list appearing later for countries to determine such
> things as currency etc. consists only of English speaking countries.

Installation is a one-time process that ends as soon as the system is
installed. Once your system boots you can edit your settings as desired.
I mean, don't worry about what you have set or not in this stage, it's
worthless.

> Contrary, the keyboard could be choosen properly as Swiss German. So, after
> login (I use GNOME/WHEEZY), my old PS/2 worked properly (i.e. no z and y
> change or Umlaute such as ä, ö...). Then I attached the Logitech K340 USB
> keyboard, the keyboard works but the language settings don't, i.e. I have
> obviously a GB layout. The only way to change this so far is to use:
>
> setxkbmap ch
>
> After executing this commmand, everything works fine - in the terminal as
> well as in GNOME, meaning I have the proper layout (I know that there are
> specific problems with Wheezy and USB keyboards known, and it is suggested
> to activate Legacy support in the BIOS. I have first to check if I have
> this option in the BIOS at all. Remark: Ubuntu 10.10 does not have all
> these problems).

Okay, so basically your problem is that your USB keyboard does not
respect your keyboard settings, right? You have set a Swiss layout and
you get an English one.

> 2.) My etc/default/keyboard looks ok:
>
> # KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE
>
> # Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.
>
> XKBMODEL="pc105"
> XKBLAYOUT="ch"
> XKBVARIANT=""
> XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
>
> BACKSPACE="guess"

Looks good. Have you tried if the keyboard works as expected on a
console outside X?

> 3.) The problem seems to be known, if looking here also in ArchLinux:
> http://www.loggn.de/arch-linux-xorg-deutsches-tastaturlayout-logitech-k340-tastatur-schnurlos/

I'm afraid I can't read german but I'll take your word :-)

> If this problem is specific to K340, I do not know. So far I know that
> setxkbmap ch helps to solve it. How can I automatize this command such that
> I don't have to enter it after every startup ? In ArchLinux, it was put in
> autostart of openbox. GNOME has also an autostart, there I put it - but
> seems not to work (maybe I have to check again).

I guess you could do it in the same way but the file has to be placed
under "~/.config/autostart" and having a ".desktop" file format, for
example:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=fix for k340
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Exec=setxkbmap ch

I have not tested, though :-?

> Anyway, also this is not a "clean" solution. There should be a way to fix
> that properly. Thanks!

Sure, if this is a known problem I would rather report it for others
can also benefit from the fix :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón 03-19-2012 11:38 AM

USB-keyboard language settings

El 2012-03-19 a las 12:54 +0100, Christian Frey escribió:

(resending to the list)

> Additional remark:
>
> 1.) What is then the difference between xkbmap and xkblayout? maybe one
> could write xkbmap into the /etc/default/keyboard.
>
> thx

My guess is that the above file is respected but not inside GNOME and
not with that keyboard model :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón