Old 03-16-2012, 06:14 PM
john gennard

Default mutt - no incoming mailboxes defined

On 16/03/2012 17:06, Camaleón wrote:

Would someone kindly explain what Mutt does when it launches,

If you run Mutt with debug flag you will get more information:

mutt -d2

And then:

cat .muttdebug0

(don't send this log file to any public source because it can contain
sensitive data, is just for your review)

and give the .muttrc entries for mbox, maildir (which I use), and how
Mail fits in. I run from my user John's home directory.

Are you using a local mailbox or a pop3/imap local account?

I have two POP3 accounts one with Btinternet and the other with Claranet.

There's a nice guide here:

My first mutt / Mail storage
http://mutt.blackfish.org.uk/storage/

I need time to study your email - will get back to you when I've done.
Meantime, my thanks for your help.

John.

Archive: 4F639130.60501@btinternet.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F639130.60501@btinternet.com

Old 03-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Chris Bannister

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 03:58:51PM +0000, john gennard wrote:
> I've been using Debian since Slink days, but I'm now 81 and had a
> stroke some 30 months ago which has done severe damage to my brain.
>
> Have just built a new box and put Debian 6.04 on it. There are a
> number of problems with the installation and I'm working through
> them one at a time. I'm unable to get my email working and this is
> confusing me greatly. I use getmail (this is OK), nullmailer (which
> should be fine) and Mutt which is the headache.. I've used this
> combination on all previous

You get your mail with getmail then filter into mailboxes?

Do you use procmail or maildrop or something else.

Example:
========

I use fetchmail:

fetchmail -m "/usr/bin/maildrop"

That tells fetchmail to use the mail delivery agent maildrop

In .mailfilter (maildrop's config file), I have something like this:
(Note the slash after the directory name e.g. IN-dunlug/)
^
This tells maildrop it is a maildir, no slash and it would be mbox
(see below on directory structure)

##
DEFAULT=$HOME/Mail/IN-Personal

if (/^List-ID:.*<dunlug.lists.ethernal.org>$/)
{
to "$HOME/Mail/IN-dunlug/"
}

if (/^List-Id:.*<debian-user.lists.debian.org>$/)
{
to "$HOME/Mail/IN-debian-user/"
}

if (/^List-ID:.*<fvwm.fvwm.org>$/)
{
to "$HOME/Mail/IN-fvwm/"
}

if (/^List-Id:.*netbsd-users.NetBSD.org$/)
{
to "$HOME/Mail/IN-Netbsd/"
}
##

In the .muttrc (sample)

##
set folder=$HOME/Mail/
set spoolfile=$HOME/Mail/IN-Personal/

mailboxes =IN-Personal =IN-debian-user =IN-dunlug =IN-fvwm
=IN-Netbsd
##

directory structure
===================

ls -al /home/chrisb/Mail
drwx------ 13 chrisb chrisb 4096 Mar 12 00:04 .
drwxr-xr-x 68 chrisb chrisb 12288 Mar 17 22:36 ..
drwx------ 5 chrisb chrisb 4096 Jan 25 18:26 IN-Netbsd
drwx------ 5 chrisb chrisb 4096 Jan 25 18:20 IN-Personal
drwx------ 5 chrisb chrisb 4096 Mar 8 04:36 IN-fvwm
drwx------ 5 chrisb chrisb 4096 Jan 25 18:21 IN-debian-user
drwx------ 5 chrisb chrisb 4096 Jan 25 18:23 IN-dunlug

ls -al /home/chrisb/Mail/IN-Netbsd
total 28
drwx------ 5 chrisb chrisb 4096 Jan 25 18:26 .
drwx------ 13 chrisb chrisb 4096 Mar 12 00:04 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 chrisb chrisb 4096 Mar 14 19:31 cur
drwxr-xr-x 2 chrisb chrisb 12288 Mar 17 22:36 new
drwxr-xr-x 2 chrisb chrisb 4096 Mar 17 22:36 tmp

You need to set up the directory structure for each maildir mailbox.

Does this bring back any memories?

Don't hesitate to post back for any clarifications or whatever.

-- Napoleon Bonaparte